Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• Don’t forget it’s not only the PL they want to have up and running but at least the EFL too. I can’t see there being enough facilities in the midlands to have 91 clubs located and playing there

I they plan to play all the games behind closed doors there are plenty of non league grounds around the midlands that can host them as they aren't going to be used. ;)
  • In that case they may as well play them on local farmland with jumpers for goalposts.
  • edited March 2020
    thorn,

Do you want the season to be completed or not? :biggrin: We have got to consider all the money the clubs will have to pay back to Sky & BT if the season isn't finished & we must remember what is important here. :whistle:

• Agree with Trev
  • The Guardian reckons UEFA are hoping the Champions League and Europa League will be able to play their remaining games in July and August.

Premier League will meet on Friday.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52121463

All Champions League and Europa League matches have been suspended "until further notice" by Uefa because of the global coronavirus pandemic.
  • Wimbledon off (29 June - 12 July)
    Cricket County Championship off (12 April - 25 September) although T20 and international matches are still on (West Indies, Australia, Pakistan and Ireland)
  • edited April 2020
    Football IMO is so unimportant during these horrendous times...
    Liverpool fans and others in similar positions , might disagree...
    whatever the FA decide will split opinions..
    I personally don't care, lives everywhere are being lost, football is just not relevant...
    Stay well everyone, don't take chances, just not worth it.... :hug:
  • Not sure if it’s been previously mentioned but Virgin are now able to pause your Sky Sports and BT Sports via their website - and still let you view the channels in the meantime.
  • I am staggered that football clubs with all their profits, are using "furlough" and tax payers money to get non playing staff through this. At the same time "not playing at the moment" footballers are still drawing huge salaries. It is amost criminal to use tax payers money in these circumstances.😡
  • Despite all this there’s still rumours about including one that we are going to make a surprise £15M bid for Martin Braithwaite. How much of a surprise would it now be.
  • epsom, same applies to any big business, surely? Football clubs are no different.
  • What I didn't like was reducing non-playing staff salaries by 20% at Spurs. Something like a 1% cut on player salaries would probably cover a similar loss, with no impact on a player's livelihood as opposed to the very serious impact 20% has on others.
  • edited April 2020
    I think with players, you'd be reliant on their giving it up voluntarily, because of their contracts? Which seem to be different from normal employment contracts.
  • Yeah, I've seen that argument and am interested in how the contracts are different. If there are any unions representing staff, I think they should learn what the players have rights to that they don't.

I would also hope they took that option to the players first though. Tell them that each of them losing half a week's salary could account for what several staff members will be losing from their annual income.

In reality, a lot of those staff will probably be doing more of their work from home than the players are right now.
  • I suppose staff are employees and players are not.
  • edited April 2020
    If you simplify it to there being a pot of money out of which the club pays non-players and players irrespective of their type of employment, it makes it easier to justify that those who have the least should not suffer the most.
    I think Outcast's idea would actually be accepted by the playing staff, especially given Barcelona's example.
    Leave it to the legal staff to sort out the details contract-wise. ;)
  • Belgium have cancelled this season and declared Bruges as champions. Still to decide on promotion and relegation though.

• I think Outcast's idea would actually be accepted by the playing staff, especially given Barcelona's example.
    Leave it to the legal staff to sort out the details contract-wise. ;)

well, if the players accepted it, there would be no need for 'legal' stuff.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/02/pay-cuts-furlough-or-deferrals-what-are-the-premier-league-clubs-doing

Newcastle + Norwich seem to be the ones implementing the govt scheme. Maybe Spurs, not clear from this summary.
  • edited April 2020
    From BBC:
    The chair of the digital, culture, media and sport committee has suggested football clubs that refuse to cut salaries of players while cutting the pay of non-players should be hit with a windfall tax. Some Premier League clubs have furloughed non-playing staff.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

MrsGrey, while we're on Spurs, here's another reason to hate them. From Wiki.
    In September 1992, Joe Lewis teamed up with George Soros to bet on the pound crashing out of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism. The event, which was dubbed Black Wednesday, made Lewis very wealthy, and some say he made more than Soros.
  • Clubs that cut player wages will be better of financially than those that keep paying n full, which may well give them competitive advantage in the future. I would like to see any measures introduced consistently across the league, to be fair.

Of course, many players have made voluntary donations to various coronavirus charities and initiatives.

• What would be the competitive advantage, that they saved money? In that case, wouldn't it be the same, whether they cut player salaries or non-playing staff salaries? It's just a matter of where and what % of which department they're cutting.
  • If the players keep getting the big bucks - does that not mean that the higher rate tax back to the treasury is better than letting the clubs save their money ?
  • If the players keep getting the big bucks - does that not mean that the higher rate tax back to the treasury is better than letting the clubs save their money ?

unless their accountants are good
  • In that case, wouldn't it be the same, whether they cut player salaries or non-playing staff salaries? It's just a matter of where and what % of which department they're cutting.

:ok: I was thinking that % of player salaries would be proportionately higher than non-playing. (Unless it's directors etc). Plus, the govt scheme is only applicable to non-playing staff so a club could reduce their costs by using it.

As you say, would depend on the overall amount.
  • Hancock answered a straight question with a yes. Didn't blame footballers for anything. Townsend needs to stick to punditry.
  • IronHerb said:

Hancock answered a straight question with a yes. Didn't blame footballers for anything. Townsend needs to stick to punditry.

Think u have the wrong Townsend :lol:
  • As Gertrude says:

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

:biggrin: