Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• I just heard that the BBC are going to host a MOTD program featuring interviews and past FA cup classics - you know what that means, THAT Gerard goal all over again.

I admit that it was truly a worldie but I have no desire to see it again.

Ever

:weep:

• I am not watching THAT :angry:
  • “What really concerns me far more than our training regime, though, are people, their health and their jobs. With that in mind, I’m going to donate the fees for my Evening Standard columns this season to the Newham Foodbank, a fantastic charity helping to feed the most vulnerable and at-risk local people in east London. At this difficult time, they need our help more than ever.”

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2020/march/20-march/mark-noble-i-take-my-hat-keyworkers
  • Sky have kindly emailed me and asked if I would like to pause my sports subscription until sport returns. All done with a couple of clicks - how refreshing.
  • It’s a shame Virgin aren’t as accommodating! They are not offering the pause option.
  • Nor are BT.
  • I have sports as part of my Sky package but have not yet had an email asking if I want to pause it. Hopefully Virgin and BT will offer something similar soon.
  • Whitehorse, go to the SKY website to do it.
  • Whitehorse, don't hold your breath for anything from Virgin
  • Unfortunately true, one time flew Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy and the seat was physically broken, there were no other seats available so I ended up in a standard economy seat.

I understood and did not make a fuss, I just asked for a note from the stewardess in support of a refund which she gladly provided along with confirmation that she made a note in the flight log.

Despite a very clear, fairly straight forward grievance that I fully expected to be dealt with quickly, it was the devils own job to get a refund for the difference.

After a bunch of non returned calls etc, I eventually got vouchers which were almost impossible to use due to restrictions.

I was up until then, a fan of the brand and was so disappointed with how they responded.
  • Not surprising. Branson was one of the first to put his staff on unpaid leave and then ask the government to bail him out. He himself is worth over £4bn.
  • As the late Malcolm McLaren said "Helen, never trust a hippie"
  • LA Liga have suspended football indefinitely and won’t consider resuming until the Spanish government says it’s completely safe to do so.
    Maybe all other bodies will do the same and not these ridiculous UEFA statements about getting the 2019/20 season completed in it’s entirety by 30 June.
  • Yeah, uefa didn't actually say that.
  • He doesn’t lose games :lol:
  • edited March 2020
    This highlights some of the efforts made by Premiership clubs to help in these unprecedented times. Some of it just bowled me over, the gesture from Sheffield United just makes you understand that we really are all in this together. We even gave some toilet roll.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51973512
  • Newcastle donated food, including 1,200 pies.
    Blimey what is jimmy five bellys going to do now? :whistle:
  • The city of Newcastle have bigger problems. Greggs have shut all their stores.
  • edited March 2020
    Misread Sports Direct news. Oops. :doh:
  • Wolfsburg resumed training yesterday, Man U have announced they will resume training 10th April and Chelsea say they are planning to resume sometime after 6th April with no fixed date.

Arsenal, Napoli and Lazio were going to resume training this week but have cancelled.
  • Please, please, please let this be a forerunner for what happens to the Premier League :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351
  • I know you really have to have some perspective on this but the my local village team are not happy as most of their various junior sides were top of their leagues and in cup finals or at least the last 4.
  • Well the FA have set a precedent should the top four leagues now fail to finish...
  • Knowing how money totally drives football these days it wouldn’t surprise me if the PL and EFL agree to playing twice a day to finish the season.
  • :tumbleweed:
  • That looks busy Mike. Not even a tumbleweed where I am. :biggrin:
  • edited March 2020
    Me in the middle with Lgh and Woosie, taken at the boleyn 2014.
    Two very nice people,wonder where they are now?

• Mark noble testimonials on YouTube now
  • According to Brady we have 8 players self isolating with symptoms.
    Although it is reported as mild and they will obviously make a full recovery I’m not sure anyone has a handle on how long afterwards you may be affected. It may be that even after recovery you’re not at 100% for a few weeks afterwards so if matches do resume they could be played with most teams having lethargic players. In our case more lethargic than usual.