Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• I am afraid that the only fair thing to do, IMO, is to complete the season where they left off, even though it may be some time, and compress the following season, cancel the minor cups and run it out of synch until it can get back on track timewise.

Anything else would be so patently unfair on those with a realistic chance of promotion or escape from relegation.

My fear is focused on how many clubs, and by extension general businesses, are going to go under during this enforced suspension of operations.

• I like Fortuneseekers idea about abandoning the carabao cup for one season and maybe no replays at all in the FA cup.
    I would like to see all games finished this season but health must always come first.
  • The fixture list is due to come out on 17 June, the same day as UEFA announce the draw for the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa League. If there are still matches from this season left to play with relegation, promotion and European places still undecided by that date I reckon 2019-20 will be abandoned.

They can't use the tables as they currently are because Villa have played one less game than the other relegation contenders and with no Cup winner they can't award the place in the Europa League.
  • They can allocate Europa places on league positions. So, depending upon the Man City situation, 5th to 7th or 6th to 8th could qualify.

Options to complete the league could be to -

1) Complete the fixtures.

2) Complete the two outstanding fixtures, City v Arsenal and Villa v Sheffield Utd.

3) Use the average points per game achieved so far, this would only move Arsenal above Spurs and thus depriving Spurs of a Europa spot. :biggrin:

4) Extend this season and delay the start of next season along with cancelling the Carabao Cup.

5) Cancelling the season with all the legal wrangles that would entail.

6) Insist EUFA condense the match days for the Champions and Europa League.

I'm sure there are more.......

• Also, it's completely unfair to use current positions, as some clubs have a much easier run in than others so that's a complete non-starter imo.

One of the issues with starting the season up again, say, immediately before the start of next season, is that some player contracts will end on 30th June; things will get really complicated if the season isn't ended by then.

It's obviously possible that contracts could be extended until the end of the current season, whenever that will be, but then, if the new season starts pretty much immediately, when will the transfer window be?

The virus is at different stages in different European countries, but a united decision needs to be reached by all the major European leagues for any solution that involves extending the current season beyond 30th June, imo.
  • Obviously voiding the season, apart from being the only possible option if games can't be played by June, will also be absolutely hilarious as it would deny the Liverpool the title they desperately want :lol:
  • I’m not sure how they can possibly come up with a date to recommence the season as they can have no idea how long the government advice will be in place.
    Currently it’s possible schools won’t go back until September and the social distancing advice of keeping 2 metres away from people is likely to apply for some time to come. How the social distancing could be implemented during football matches, as in theory it would apply to players, is beyond me. Having said that our midfield and defence managed it easily enough for most of the season so far.
  • Football now suspended until at least April 30th. We should have a fully fit squad on its return.
  • yoyo said:

Football now suspended until at least April 30th. We should have a fully fit squad on its return.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  • I suppose if they could test all the players and only select non-contagious ones, the social distancing advice could be ignored. I see efforts are ongoing to create a test to identify those who have had it already.
  • Look on the bright side our defence has been practicing social distancing of 2m all season
  • yoyo said:

Football now suspended until at least April 30th. We should have a fully fit squad on its return.

I assume you are not including Wiltshire in that, plus kane will be fit to dive vs us
  • Wiltshire wouldn't be fit if the season closed for a worldwide plaque!
  • So Karen wants the season voided as is, others threatened with Relegation are calling for a 22 team league, frankly, is that any more selfish than hoarding toilet paper ;)
  • edited March 2020
    Any changes to the Premier League format would have to be backed by 14 clubs (two thirds), I don't think they're going to vote to give Liverpool the title and I don't think they will try to finish the season if its going to impact on next season.

Maybe they'll suspend football until March 2021 and carry on from where everyone left off (2019-21 season?)

Just read matches suspended until 30th April.
  • That would mean missing out on a years SKY money. Ain't gonna happen.
  • I will go with whatever decision is made. As long as Leeds are not promoted.

#sorrywrongthread
  • edited March 2020
    Oh I say Wombat, that's rather Leedsist
    You shall be hearing from my representitives, Messrs Suedemm & Cashin

:biggrin:
  • Getting bored MrsG? :lol:

Still, better than watching the daily Boris debacle. :angry:
  • edited March 2020
    :biggrin:

Not bored, just working through my list of lockdown tasks.

I allow myself a few minutes off from obsessively following the real time updates. :doh:
  • Assume there will be no football until the autumn. Finish the current season then. Promote four clubs from the championship, three automatically and one playoff. Relegate three teams. Go straight into the next season with a premiership of 21 and play 20 fixtures, Play everyone once not twice, everyone playing 10 home and 10 away. Sure a computer program could work that out relatively evenly. Ay the end of the 20-21 season Relegate 4 and promote three and you are back to square one. Just a thought.
  • Everhopeful, makes sense to me but I suspect that the devilish subject of money will raise its vulgar head and scupper the plan
  • simple solution relegate the blades, spuds and leeds as soon as they come up, job done
  • Assume there will be no football until the autumn. Finish the current season then. Promote four clubs from the championship, three automatically and one playoff. Relegate three teams. Go straight into the next season with a premiership of 21 and play 20 fixtures, Play everyone once not twice, everyone playing 10 home and 10 away. Sure a computer program could work that out relatively evenly. Ay the end of the 20-21 season Relegate 4 and promote three and you are back to square one. Just a thought.

Any solution that doesn't have teams playing all other teams home and away is just going to open floodgates of calls that it's not fair. Can't see that happening tbh.
  • Look on the bright side our defence has been practicing social distancing of 2m all season

More like working from home :lol:

Any solution that doesn't have teams playing all other teams home and away is just going to open floodgates of calls that it's not fair. Can't see that happening tbh.
    Play all games at a neutral ground? Sounds unlikely but so does everything else.
  • Hamstew said:

Assume there will be no football until the autumn. Finish the current season then. Promote four clubs from the championship, three automatically and one playoff. Relegate three teams. Go straight into the next season with a premiership of 21 and play 20 fixtures, Play everyone once not twice, everyone playing 10 home and 10 away. Sure a computer program could work that out relatively evenly. Ay the end of the 20-21 season Relegate 4 and promote three and you are back to square one. Just a thought.

Play all games at a neutral ground? Sounds unlikely but so does everything else.
    Maybe fairer, but even less practical imo.
  • I think they should finish this season, and then next season for one year only they should separate leagues into top and bottom half, and everyone can a half league with half the games. I’m sure there’s loads of issues with that too, but oh well
  • I don't wish to be repetitive but any change to the format has to get 14 of the 20 Premier League clubs to vote for it.

The clubs will vote for whatever has the least effect on revenue (especially TV) without overworking the players and make them more vulnerable to injuries. They're going to lose money but they're going to make it the least amount possible.
  • To cut down on crowds , security and full squads attending games why not have manager's play the remaining fixtures with subbuteo football and televise the games!?