Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• They will not be able to fulfil a 22 team season next season either, that will compound the problem with fixture congestion and Euro 2020 when it gets delayed to next year.

Its most likely by August / September that the problem will be a lot worse we will probably be in the peak of it.
  • edited March 2020
    Not to mention managers being out of contract (Howe, Pearson...), loans, the London Stadium only able to host games until mid May...

Impossible
  • They will not be able to fulfil a 22 team season next season either, that will compound the problem with fixture congestion and Euro 2020 when it gets delayed to next year.

Its most likely by August / September that the problem will be a lot worse we will probably be in the peak of it.

Teams will just have to play a few more games like they do in the championship.
  • I think the peak is expected by June. As far as I'm aware, China has massively come down in cases and doesn't have so many new ones anymore. Of course it took very drastic measures but I don't think we'll be indefinitely locked down. If governments start working in unison, you'd hope things can be a lot simpler by September.
  • A long article, but this is one of the better analyses of COVID-19 I have seen. An interesting read - I suspect Alderz will appreciate it ... https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
  • There's some criticism of his approach. It seems to make sense looking at raw data but overly simplistic. Before recently he wrote about Star Wars and writing funny speeches. He's not a scientist.
  • Spurs ground is also booked for the summer.
  • edited March 2020
    The Premier League would only expand to 22 (or 41 :biggrin: ) if the clubs voted for it and the clubs are already bitching about how many games they have to play (especially those in Europe).
  • Could they not promote the usual number of clubs that normally get promoted in each division ie those clubs that are currently in those positions in their respective leagues and not relegate anyone. This would mean that for one season. The premier league for example would consist of 41 clubs. Next season six clubs would be relegated and three promoted so the usual situation is re-established and follow this formula for all the other divisions as per their promotion relegation norms.

I’m assuming that in reality, only the clubs in danger of relegation this season would jump up and down if the season were declared void now and they were relegated with several matches still to play. It’s not ideal for clubs in with a chance of achieving European football next season but final places with the possible exception of Liverpool are conjecture at this stage.

Nothing is ideal but these are extraordinary times and with all the money involved some plan to limit the numbers of possible litigation suits must be considered.

I’ll get me coat. :biggrin:

Sorry had a meltdown. Meant the pl would consist of 23 clubs. Don’t know where I got 41 from. :doh:
  • Tony Cottee was on the radio last week and said in 1986 we played 10 games in 30 days, so it can be done. I agree it is very doubtful the Premier League will start again in April.
  • If you read what she says, she doesn't actually call for that at all.
  • West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady has called for the Premier League season to be made 'null and void'.

Top-tier clubs are due to convene for an emergency meeting on Thursday to discuss what happens next and Brady, whose club are in a relegation fight, wants the campaign to be scrapped.

'As games in both the Premier League and in the EFL are affected, the only fair and reasonable thing to do is declare the whole season null and void.'

:hmm:

• edited March 2020
    :whome:

I was following the BBC report, where they quoted her as saying it was a possibility.

That bit you quote seems to me to follow directly on ' if the season can't be finished' so is merely conditional.

A more accurate headline would reflect that. Imo
  • They would have to void it unless all remaining games can be played. There is no other way. She is hardly saying something which isn't obvious. Plus Liverpool not winning it because it gets voided would be the funniest thing ever.
  • Declan Rice played 5 a side with Mason Mount yesterday. Mount got in trouble with Chelsea and But West Ham didn’t say anything. It’s like when me and Will Fox stayed out after we were meant to be back for dinner, I got grounded and his parents just heated his up.
  • edited March 2020
    UEFA claim all domestic leagues are committed to completing this seasons fixtures by 30 June. What planet are they on? There’s no way they will be starting again at the beginning of April and it’s almost certain that there will be no public services available it would be irresponsible, if not illegal, to play matches even behind closed doors.
  • Did they really claim that?
  • edited March 2020
    It’s apparently in a statement they issued today. Reported by Sky

Sky Sports News Chief Reporter Bryan Swanson confirms that the European leagues have made a commitment to finish their respective leagues by June 30 2020
    'European football has committed to finish this season by June 30. This includes the Premier League, EFL, SPFL, Champions League and Europa League.

'Clearly there is a big 'if' there, we are in a fluid situation and there are a large quantity of unknowns, but June 30 is the target they are working towards, their commitment to the game.'
  • I couldn't see that in the uefa statement. Maybe it was in a q+a or something.
  • Football really only has its own interests in mind. As from now I’m really supposed to be in isolation for a minimum of 12 weeks because this is the period during which the virus is predicted to rise to its peak. According to UEFA they believe they can finish all domestic football almost by the time the isolation is completed.
    Rushing the remaining part of this season through in a few weeks I think diminishes the integrity of the competitions. Some teams are likely to be playing every 3 days and some players are likely to have to be released for the Nations league playoffs in June.
    I’m not sure what leads UEFA to believe that this hiatus in matches until 3 April is likely to result in all footballers being immune from the virus.
  • There is speculation that premier league clubs will play the remaining games, possibly behind closed doors, before the end of June so as not to breach the lucrative TV contract https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-clubs-plan-save-21710921 . This is problematical as the peak of coronavirus is yet to hit the UK and normality may not return by April 3. Some players/staff and their families may have the virus and even the TV crew. They can be reinfected. Some senior mangers (e.g. Roy Hodgson) may face extended period of isolation. And who would attend to the injured players in overloaded hospitals? Depending on the distance, some teams fly and that may still be banned. Even travel by road may be restricted. Lives must come first. May be EPL would be better off negotiating a penalty with SKY/BT rather than risking lives
  • Excellent post, Penge. Lives over money, absolutely. Agree a settlement with the broadcasters and void the season.
  • Penge. It can only be speculation at this stage and journalists have got to find something to write about. I cannot see how the Premier League and EFL can start the season again in that time frame. I can also see a good number of overseas players when they can see no prospect of playing for a couple of months wanting to return home to be with thier families. I think that this season will have to become void and just hope that the new season can start on time or with a short delay. It would not make sense to let this season run into August and then compromise the 20/21 season.
  • White horse we all know it’s unlikely to happen but as I posted yesterday UEFA have said they’re committed to getting it finished by 30 June even if it involves 3 games per week.
    It’s all down to UEFA wanting their tv money.
  • Thorn. I agree there will be a lot of pressure, largely financial, to try and make it happen but i think there will be many reasons that will prevent it.
  • edited March 2020
    What the UEFA statement actually says.

We 'discussed and unanimously agreed on the principles of a contingency plan regarding the 2019-20 sporting season.'

So, it's a 'principle'. And is subject to a caveat of their 'fundamental commitment to protecting the health, safety, and well-being of players, clubs, supporters, officials, staff and the broader football community'.

And has a condition attached, (my bold and italics in the quote below)

'A commitment to complete all domestic and European club competitions by the end of the current sporting season, i.e. 30 June 2020 at the latest, should the situation improve and resuming playing be appropriate and prudent enough.'

Also, despite it being characterised as them doing this even if it means 3 games a week what they actually said was they all agreed that there might be

Possible limitations or drops of current exclusive calendar slots, potentially resulting in the scheduling of domestic league matches in mid-week and scheduling of UEFA club competitions matches on weekends.

And they are setting up a working group of league, club and uefa representatives to look in more detail at the issue of scheduling and devise solutions.

Finally, they say they all agree 'this contingency plan is the best course of action at this moment in time.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/newsid=2641077.html

Your welcome. :-)
  • I have been watching the debate on Sky spots over the last couple of nights and when they talk about this season, the thinking is this season should be finished even if it means it finishes in August, September, October or even later. Then they say another season will have to take a hit and this could effect the football calendar for the next 2 or 3 maybe more season. For me personally, when I hear this it just sounds bonkers to me. My thinking is. We have already taken a hit this season why not try to make it so just one season is affected. So just write of this season.

I believe the predictions for the virus to peak is 10-14 weeks which places the peak in June/July. My thinking is when we are past the peak it will still take a bit of time for the numbers to come down. Therefore I think the earliest we will see football being played again is September/October time. I would just rather take the hit now instead of dragging it out over the next 2/3 maybe more season. What does everyone else think?
  • edited March 2020
    Abandoning it now causes all sorted of problems. But it isn't necessarily the case that the subsequent season, if we play this one out, will have the same negative effects. With planning, it might be possible to ensure that next season's league can be managed so.ehow to work out more or less ok.

I'd sum for a best of both worlds scenario. Or maybe better to say least bad of both worlds.
  • One plan would be to finish the current season when possible to do so. In the new campaign do as they do in the French, Spanish & Italian leagues where although they have 2 less teams in them manage to play a lot more midweek games & have a winter break. For one season don't have the Carabao Cup and use the spare dates to play some Premier League matches. I am old enough to remember a time in the late seventies when West Ham had played five games by the end of August.