Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• Let's hope that this does not cause an outbreak of Corona Virus amongst footballers and their families. Personally i think this is too soon for a contact sport but i guess pound notes know more than me. Good luck to all the players and the hammers.
  • The majority of remaining matches will be played at home and away as scheduled, with a small number of fixtures taking place at neutral venues, which, contrary to some reports, have yet to be agreed.

Announced by police today.
  • So for the integrity of the competition all clubs should play the same number of games at neutral venues.
  • Shows how quickly things can change though. My grandson was all set to return to school next Thursday in year 6. His school has really worked hard to make sure everything is secure etc but as one of the local hospitals has had to close due to a sudden peak all schools in the county have now decided not to reopen.
  • Having temporarily adopted Fortuna Dusseldorf for no reason other that the fact they have a similar league position to West Ham, I am a little concerned about just how nervous I feel about their match with Bayern!
  • Wise to be nervous!!
  • edited June 2020
    I've just noticed that the FA Cup quarter finals have been set for Sat 27th/Sun 28th June, the semis for Sat 18th/Sun 19th July and the final for 1st August

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/may/29/emirates-fa-cup-rearranged-schedule-announcement-290520
  • Are we still in that...…………………. :biggrin:
  • I would be gutted if we got to the Cup Final and couldn't attend.....

:weep:
  • Colchester,

It would be nice to have that as a concern. :whistle:
  • I don't think you will have to worry about that Colchester, but it would be nice
    if we manage to stay up. :pray:
  • With season ticket holders now receiving emails from the club about whether they would like a credit to their account or receive a refund because of the remaining games they will not be able to attend i wondered what other people will be doing?
    I will be taking the first option as i sit in the lowest band and being a senior my season ticket refund isn't going to be a lot so i might as well get a cash credit.
    Season ticket holders in the higher bands might very well take the refund as obviously it's going to be a lot more.
    Other reasons for taking the refund instead of a credit could be that we don't really know when we will be allowed back into the stadium.?
  • I've asked for a refund. As you say Mike we have no idea when we will be allowed back in and I for one don't see that being in 2020.
  • I am not going to do anything for the next few weeks, see what develops. I see leaving the money there as some sort of deposit on my seat for next season or whenever we can one day go back.
  • It be dele Ali he’s into everything :lol:
  • Nathan Holland has returned from his loan at Oxford Utd so we have another player available who can play on the either wing
  • From the official site

Saturday 04 July 15:00 Newcastle A
    Wednesday 08 July 20:00 Burnley H
    Saturday 11 July 15:00 Norwich A
    Wednesday 15 July 20:00 Watford H
    Saturday 18 July 15:00 Man U A (or maybe not)
    Sunday 26 July 15:00 Villa H

If Man U beat Newcastle to reach the FA Cup semis we will play them Tuesday 21/Wednesday 22 July
  • ASLEF,
    It's likely the game will be moved as Manchester United are playing Norwich but you never know?
  • Iran, Iraq, what's the difference?
  • Apparently West ham are playing QPR right now.
  • Were they playing them wrong then? ;)
  • Apparently we won 4-1 against QPR
  • Goals from haller,Antonio,Ajeti and masuaku.
  • Grady Diangana has extended his loan at West Brom until the end of the season so we won't see him until after the summer
  • edited June 2020
    Premier League players from all 20 clubs have made the following statement:

‘We, the Players, stand together with the singular objective of eradicating racial prejudice wherever it exists, to bring about a global society of inclusion, respect, and equal opportunities for All, regardless of their colour or creed. This symbol is a sign of unity from all Players, all Staff, all Clubs, all Match Officials and the Premier League #blacklivesmatter #playerstogether.

The Premier League stands alongside players, clubs, the FA, EFL, PFA, LMA, PGMOL and all those who oppose discrimination in any form.

The League supports the players’ wish to have their names replaced by Black Lives Matter on the back of their shirts for the first 12 matches of the restarted 2019/20 season. A Black Lives Matter logo will also feature on shirts for the remainder of the season, along with a badge thanking the NHS for their work during the COVID-19 crisis.

In addition, the League will support players who ‘take a knee’ before or during matches.

The Premier League believes there is no room for racism, anywhere #NoRoomForRacism

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2020/june/12-june/premier-league-players-release-statement

• Taking a knee during the match is a bit bizarre.
  • Presumably it is in reference to goal celebrations, thorn