Arsenal v West Ham 7th March 2020 - 15:00

Comments

• We will never get a better chance of an away win than today. So frustrating and I suspect we still need a minimum of 12 points from our last 9 games and we have 3 of the 4 around us to play yet and they will be far tougher games than today’s was.
  • Brighton the only team to get anything, and only then a point. Not the worst situation for us but a big chance to give ourselves a few points cushion blown.

Still in big trouble and games are starting to run out.

Or, we're not in the relegation zone and games are starting to run out for teams below to overhaul us.
  • Brighton the only team to get anything, and only then a point. Not the worst situation for us but a big chance to give ourselves a few points cushion blown.

Still in big trouble and games are starting to run out.

Or, we're not in the relegation zone and games are starting to run out for teams below to overhaul us.
    Both valid positions, and both true.

But if we're to stay up, I believe we need to be taking opportunities like today afforded us.
  • edited March 2020
    Yeah

Today’s game was a far easier game than playing Villa or Watford at home. Brighton won at the Emirates.

Needed to take a point today & the only saving grace is that Watford didn’t get anything from Palace which was a surprise.

Another marginal VAR call. We don’t seem to benefit from many of them.
  • So so gutting.We got it spot on and really deserved the win.Onwards and upwards.
  • Lukerz said:

How on earth did it take until 87 mins to get an attacking player on the pitch?

Surely you take Noble off for Lanzini or Anderson & you do that around the 70th minute Mark?

Moyes's biggest weakness for me. Always reactionary subs rather than proactive ones.
  • I think we're defending better and playing with some consistency. Alright, results are still inconsistent but three of our last four have been City, Liverpool and Arsenal away.

I honestly think we'll be absolutely fine.

Today was so frustrating though. No way should we have lost that. There was such lethargy about our attacking and finishing at times.

Arsenal are awful.
  • What I would say is, given our performances in the last three games (and arguably Brighton home too), we appear to be hitting form. Good performances tend to lead to points over a period of games. Added to that we seem to have our injuries clearing up, with only Fredericks being crocked.

If we continue to build & don’t go back to our old ways, we’ll comfortably win another 3/4 games given our fixtures. But need to hold our nerve.
  • Referee has been awful

IMO Atkinson had a very decent game.
  • edited March 2020
    Moyes might have reacted late in his subs, perhaps he thought with all the chances we had Haller or Antonio would actually find the net, IMO Antonio then Haller were somewhat to blame, between them they should have scored 1 of all those chances IMO.
  • Yep. Antonio & Haller were always the key to us winning this game & both of them left their clinical boots in the dressing room. That was the reason we lost this game. That front 3 should have mustered at least one goal between them.
  • A game that we could and should have won. Arsenal were lucky. We created plenty of chances and played well but lady luck did not smile on us today. Hopefully, the confidence stays high and we win the next few games.
  • Moyes might have reacted late in his subs, perhaps he thought with all the chances we had Haller or Antonio would actually find the net, IMO Antonio then Haller were somewhat to blame, between them they should have scored 1 of all those chances IMO.

I think if they haven't by 70 mins, you should be thinking about who will.

Haller's first touch ruined one of the best chances in the first half but otherwise I thought he didn't too badly with most of his chances - though could've done better. Antonio messed up two really good ones and the pull back to Haller. The two of them should've finished better.

It would've been a scandal for VAR to not give that goal. And it seemed like they tried to find a way not to.
  • I find it hard to be positive about that performance. For me it was so obvious after the fist half that it was going to play out the way it did.
  • I think that game summarised Moyes’ time as our manager since his reappointment. Not a million miles away, but frustrating.
  • I'm frustrated as we deserved a point

But play like that for our remaining games we stay up
  • Hamstew said:

I find it hard to be positive about that performance. For me it was so obvious after the fist half that it was going to play out the way it did.

Similar energy to previous too matches. At last some consistency in how we approach games. Making chances? Wolves are good but not much better than Arsenal. Same approach could work.

But high energy performances will tire players. Moyes can't be so scared to act. If he's braver, we'll do more.
  • Small margins again but Arsenal should have scored first half with the header onto the bar.
    How many more points would we have without VAR? :weep:
  • Hamstew said:

I find it hard to be positive about that performance. For me it was so obvious after the fist half that it was going to play out the way it did.

I think there’s loads to be positive about.

If we play like we have done recently in our final 9 games we will get the points required.

Just a really frustrating result that we didn’t take a 0-0 as a minimum.
  • One obvious problem, there was 1 recognised striker playing & not one on the bench...Downfall..
  • I was watching the clock from about five minutes into the second half and willing it to speed up.
    It’s gonna be like that from now on isn’t it?
  • edited March 2020
    That's fine I understand but is just my feeling. Like with Wolves. They are just a team that I can't see us getting anything from. Trouble is I think we have to win it.
  • Should have got at lest a point ,Love Bowens work rate the kid was everywhere
  • This kid plays for us. On the bench against Wolves?
  • The thing that gets me is we play well and get nothing, they play mainly rubbish but get the 3 points. I would settle for a couple of games where the reverse applies.
  • Agree with Thornburyiron. We need to stop being plucky losers and become lucky winners....easier said than done though. Performances do appear to be better but we must take our chances
  • Just watched again on MOTD and I think that some of the chances we missed were ridiculous. Antonio missed a couple of easier to score ones.
    At least twice we were clean through with a 2 on 1 situation and failed miserably with the final ball.
    If we don’t sort these things out then we won’t survive. Stats say 43% of our attempts this season are on target but as we’ve only scored 35 in 29 games then either It’s 43% of very few or most are straight at the keeper.
  • We’ve lost 6 away PL games on the bounce, our worst since 2006/7 season and that went to the last game. Don’t want that this season.
  • Yep that has the feel of a game where we conspired to lose than were unfortunate. Had their keeper had a blinder & we’d had a couple of dodgy ref calls it would have felt different, but that game was there for us on a plate. We were a tad unfortunate with the goal, & the deflection looping nicely over the back four for Ozil who on any other day would have been a toe offside, but the reality is we should have been 0-2 up by that stage.

If we can play similarly against Wolves (who have not lost an away game in London since promotion), we will have a chance of a point. But really we need 3 & Wolves are a very solid & professional outfit. If we don’t beat Wolves, this result becomes even worse & a massive opportunity wasted.
  • The truth is we had six chances to score yesterday and we got zilch.
    It's no good going on that we were the better team.
    If you don't take your chances you will get punished and that's what happened yesterday.