Liverpool vs West Ham (away) 24th Feb 2020 - 20:00

Comments

• Thorn - this was not the game to get on the sides case

We have been awful all season & plenty of time for pulling up the side has come & gone this season

But tonight is not the game

We have to take this performance into Saturday though, which is simply must win

What a difference though 3 unlikely points would have made, though

Could have been on 30 come Saturday night
  • edited February 2020
    But dear oh dear fab

For all his great games for us, he hasn’t half picked a time to have a stinker

Literally gifted them all 3 goals

I long for the days of us fighting blood & sweat to keep that ball out our neck
  • There is hope in that performance, lets hope it starts at home against the Saints.
  • I just want to see us apply that kind of intensity, which we also showed against Bournemouth, more regularly. That was more than enough to beat a lot of sides. The buildup to the second goal was really good. Even after they scored their third, we still had chances.

I worry that Fabianski mistake for the second stinks of relegation material - throwing it away when we've been playing well - but I think there are enough positives. We did some good things and we need to replicate them.
  • Hope this is the catalyst for something better to come. Much like the Spurs game was in the Great Escape season.
  • How jammy are Liverpool btw?
  • edited February 2020
    Also, let’s banish the pointless 3-5-2 formation

Ngakia plays now whilst Fredericks is out at RB
  • Unlucky to lose tonight and Fab had one of his rare off nights. If we play with the same effort and determination and get a little bit of luck, we have a good chance of surviving. Hope Soucek recovers from his injury as he was everywhere in the first half. Not sire, if Rice has one yellow cards to many and will miss the next game. I am sure someone will check on that,
  • Pengeman said:

Not sire, if Rice has one yellow cards to many and will miss the next game. I am sure someone will check on that,

I reckon they would've mentioned that in the commentary if so, so hopefully not!
  • Did anyone take a screenshot of the table when we were winning?
  • Really feel for Fabianski,we all know he's been great for us but tonight was horrible for him.
    The performance was all could've wished for against the best team in Europe and we were so close to getting a massive result.
    Hopefully we can take some confidence into the rest of the season after that.
    I think I slightly fell in love with my club again tonight.
  • edited February 2020
    I hope Soucek is not seriously injured, however it did allow Fornals to come in & get his goal

Fabianski
    Ngakia - Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice
    Snodgrass - Fornals - Bowen
    Antonio

For Saturday I would say
  • I thought Snoddy played well
  • RB is a good player
  • Liverpool were far from their best, had more attempts than in any other game this season but still only won because of 2 Fab errors and Noble turning his back on the ball leading to the third.
    I really hope we give it everything again on Saturday but if we get a lead we manage to build on it. I couldn’t bear another Brighton fiasco.
  • A lot of positives to take from that performance, it’s a pity we came away with nothing, we deserved more. Liverpool were slightly rattled at times.
  • edited February 2020
    How many points dropped from a winning position is that now? Over 20, I think.

Difficult to take positives from a defeat when you're in our situation, even against the best team in Europe.

Southampton is absolutely must win. The first of five must wins. Sadly I think the pressure will be too much and we'll drop more points at the weekend.
  • I think we need to make these must win games as open as possible & back ourselves to get the goals to win the games
  • The main positive for me is that Moyes played a back four and we were much, much improved. Our two best performances under him this season have have been 4-3-3. Hopefully he learns from that.
  • edited February 2020
    alderz said:

I thought Snoddy played well

Pretty much our whole team played well.
    • Ogbonna was immense.
    • Diop was solid too (other than from defending corners) and scored.
    • Ngakia did well given his inexperience and against Mane.
    • Cresswell looked solid defensively (although not convinced about him going forwards).
    • Soucek had a blinder.
    • Rice was great.
    • Snograss found space well and covered ground nicely.
    • Antonio had quality moments (although was also sloppy at times).
    • Haller held the ball up well when he came on and his passing was accurate.
    • Bowen made a clever run to get his shot away near the end.
    • Fornals got a goal and worked hard as always when he came on.
    • Anderson grew into the match and we don't give him credit for his intelligence at times.
    Only Noble didn't really contribute to be honest. I don't even want to criticise Fabianski as he's still a terrific 'keeper and I'm sure he'll bounce back.
  • Good performance, showed heart and showed we are not down yet. We have come through Liverpool twice and City without other teams pulling away from us at the bottom so we are in with a shout for sure.

I can forgive Fab because not only has he saved us so many times but a lesser keeper would have let in two goals earlier in this match also.

Moyes must realise that if Bowen was his big signing to get us out of trouble he hasn't got time to mess about, how Haller coming on was the call instead of Bowen I have no idea, surely those two subs had to be the other way around?

Antonio was so wasteful at times tonight but if he keeps fit he and Bowen could cause a lot of trouble for lesser defences.

Disappointed we didn't get a point but a lot to take from the performance.
  • But winning is what he does STILL I’d play two goalkeepers, but to be fair a better performance and a chance to get something still gives me hope of escaping
  • edited February 2020

How many points dropped from a winning position is that now? Over 20, I think.

Difficult to take positives from a defeat when you're in our situation, even against the best team in Europe.

Southampton is absolutely must win. The first of five must wins. Sadly I think the pressure will be too much and we'll drop more points at the weekend.

It's 22 points, by the way. That puts us 4th.

Something needs to change in the squad, whatever league we're in next season. Suggests a collective mental frailty and lack of ability in the squad to see games out. We need leadership in the team and the manager, and we haven't seen it in either all season.
  • edited February 2020
    I still love him but Noble was poor again imo. Needs to be dropped.
  • We won 3 of our first 6 but only 3 of our last 21.

We have lost 22 points from a winning position this season. Last league win was on New Year's Day and we probably need to win at least 5 of our last 11. It needs a massive turn of form or fortune equal to 2007.
  • So we didn’t didn’t lose by as many as we thought.
    All that game showed was that after the signings we made to stay up in January one is now injured as usual and the expensive one once again got a few minutes in a game we lost . Why buy him in January if you don’t think he can help the team stay up, absolutely pointless and how is he going to gain any confidence at all? Using a player like that is how we ruin players. So now we are in a position that we haven’t improved the side at all , a complete joke.

Oh and our goalkeeper has turned into a proper West Ham player . They can fight it but the curse will get them in the end.
    Why can no manager build a West Ham side that doesn’t give the opposition at least one goal a game? Our defence and midfield is a joke.
    Even if we had a good attacking side our defence and midfield would always concede more than we can score and going into any game it means the side is low on confidence.
    We haven’t won a game since beating Gillingham in the cup . How on earth is that form going to keep us in the Premier league?
  • edited February 2020
    West Ham 4-0 Bournemouth
    Gillingham 0-2 West Ham - FA Cup
    Sheffield Utd 1-0 West Ham
    West Ham 1-1 Everton
    Leicester 4-1 West Ham (2-1 after 80 mins)
    West Ham 0-1 WBA - FA Cup
    West Ham 0-2 Liverpool
    West Ham 3-3 Brighton
    Man City 2-0 West Ham
    Liverpool 3-2 West Ham

I don’t think we are a million miles away

We haven’t been great, don’t get me wrong, but we are not a million miles away, four of our last 5 league games have been against the top 3

I’m hoping, with the options we have now returning up top, we will take this performance into the game on Saturday & have a really productive last 11 games, where we need 14 points plus

I’m gonna try & be patient & judge Moyes & the side come the end of these next 11 games

No matter what, it’s been a poor season, but we have the chance now to rescue it but it’s down to us
  • Sounds like Soucek could be out for a bit. Typical really.
  • I think we're gone. Of our January signings, one is back on the bench, one is injured three games into his West Ham career and one who has the pace and directness we've been crying out for all season has played 17 minutes of football across two games. Basically it's not enough.
  • Thought Ngakia was great again. Hope he keeps his place.
This discussion has been closed.