IT’S BACK ON! Manchester City v West Ham Utd (19th February) - Match Thread

Comments

• Someone on Twitter described that match as ‘Zabaleta’s testimonial’

Spot on for me. Unfortunately Zaba was playing for the wrong team.
  • OCS, the trouble we have got is there are no "easy" games in the Premier League! Mr Moyes is risking a lot that the matches he has targeted go our way much like the Brighton game showed us. :ok:
  • 6 wins all season & Moyes is relying on us winning 5 games in 2 months :lol:
  • Henry Winter has just posted this - West Ham need to wake up fast. They are 18th and sleep-walking towards relegation. They have some good players, Fabianski, Cresswell, Ogbonna, Rice, Antonio etc, & Noble is all heart, but their tactics/mindset were far too cautious. No urgency, little pace. Start Bowen. #MCIWHU
  • sick of seeing teams like Norwich ,Villa.and others at lest put in an effect.And then theres us :doh:
  • Expect to see the exact same performance against liverpool

How predictable
  • Bring back Pelle
  • Moyes out AGAIN
  • Moyes on the BBC:

"We all know that roughly 40 points keeps you in the Premier League but we also know that we are in a really tough period of games. Goal difference also comes into thinking."

Well there you go. Probably backs up what a lot of us were thinking.
  • edited February 2020
    Haha can't believe this guy. You've got fans making all that effort and he's admitted to setting up to lose and not let in too many goals. :lol: what a joker.
  • Honestly, I hardly even care about West Ham at the moment, and that is quite a strange reality. It’s mattered so much for the last 25 years and now it just doesn’t feel like it does.
  • edited February 2020
    alderz said:

Honestly, I hardly even care about West Ham at the moment, and that is quite a strange reality. It’s mattered so much for the last 25 years and now it just doesn’t feel like it does.

This is a paradoxical phase of the shock caused by WHU-watching. :)
  • Whatever you thought about Pellegrini, he wouldn’t have set us up in a 5-5-0. Nor would Slav. What are we doing, honestly.
  • I loved Slav. Still do. Always will. But I thought he had to go.

However, it's now evident that he wasn't the problem and what I'd give to have him back at the club. No way would he have rolled over the way Moyes has.
  • alderz said:

Whatever you thought about Pellegrini, he wouldn’t have set us up in a 5-5-0. Nor would Slav. What are we doing, honestly.

Preparing for Wycombe away.
  • We are trying be like the big boys, no CL like city and no strikers like the spuds :doh:
  • Slav should still be with us.
  • The line-up told us all we needed to know. Snodgrass up top with Antonio?

He was happy to sit on the edge of the box & keep this game to within 1-2 goals.

Same will happen at Liverpool, where we will then go into games against Saints, Wolves, Spurs, Chelsea looking to get some points on the board. We could easily lose all four. In that time we’ll pick up our usual injuries in positions we can’t afford them. Last night it was Fredericks, who never seems to start more than four consecutive games.

It’s not Moyes’ fault but this is what we have resorted to. We’ve gone back to the big Sam days of writing off the top three away & pinpointing future games for points.

Under Pelle at least he wanted us to try & compete with the big boys. We may end up getting done 4-0 but he wanted us to go there, press high & attack. To be fair other than City at home & Liverpool away, we pretty much did that under him in all games against the top 6. That last night was a shambles.
  • Meanwhile he'll be telling everyone to get behind the team whilst hes planing to concede less than 3 against Liverpool.
  • Lukerz said:

Last night it was Fredericks, who never seems to start more than four consecutive games.

The difference between perception and reality.

Before he got injured against Gillingham in the Cup Fredericks had started 17 out of 20 League games, on the bench for two consecutive games (Sheffield 26 Oct & Newcastle 2 Nov), suspended for the other (Palace Boxing Day).
  • BBC summed this up well as "meek surrender". I for one am fed up supporting a meek team under a meek manager.
  • edited February 2020
    I think Moyes played with the understanding that we were always going to lose (which is pretty much fact) we are in a relegation battle where goal difference could play a massive part and losing 2-0 instead of 5-0 is more of a positive.

Can't really knock Moyes for his defensive approach though I find his abstention of Jarrod Bowen brought in January as "needing a few months" to settle in as complete tosh. We spent 20m on him to make a difference in our battle against relegation. We do not have months to integrate him, he needs to be starting on the pitch and making the difference now, otherwise the signing should not have been made in the first place !
  • Wouldn’t read too much into the pass rate comparison. We hardly had the ball and they spend a lot of time passing it backwards and forwards between themselves in their own half.
    It’s the quick incisive passes which cut through you that are the real worry.
  • Ironic that Antonio was denied an opportunity to score without using his hand because the ref incorrectly (IMHO) blew for handball - surely he should have let play continue and if a goal followed then VAR could decide (unless of course he was 100% certain/incompetent)
  • Sledge, do you still not yet understand the handball/VAR rule? Only the likes of Liverpool and Citeh get the benefit of the doubt like you suggest - I'm sure I read it somewhere in the VAR instruction manual. :biggrin:
  • Hate VAR
  • Very
    Average
    Results
  • Vaguely
    Accurate
    Rulings
  • Variety (of)
    Arbitrary
    Rickets
This discussion has been closed.