The Owners - The Good, The Bad and The ITK.

Comments

• edited January 2020
    Her role is probably remunerated in respect of the value that she brings to the club, i.e. the owners
  • Jay, if you want to talk about hard work and deserving of reward, read "This Is Going To Hurt" by Adam Kay.

It's not a zero sum issue.
  • Lots of things I'm not happy with Brady about but her business acumen isn't one of them.
  • Can we not veer off into belittling, insults or personal attacks.

Can we please stick to the football aspect of her role at the club.

Thank you.

we may need her at LB :)
  • edited January 2020

The quicker she leaves our club the better.

Get rid.
    :angry:

Sullivan hired KB as sales and marketing manager on the Sunday Sport when she was just 19, she became Managing Director of Birmingham City when she was 23 and now she's Vice Chairman of West Ham.

She goes wherever Sullivan goes, until he leaves she isn't going anywhere.

Can we please stick to the football aspect of her role at the club.

Is there a football aspect to her role?
  • I'm not sure that they have. I've seen three separate versions of a similar story on scouts over the past few months from quite reliable sources. They haven't made it up. Maybe their source was wrongg but it seems the club went heavily in legally.

I also don't think the club has legally challenged articles that have mentioned this but it may be that this show is more vulnerable because it's just guests giving an opinion.
  • It’s certainly something to think about.

There is always 3 sides to a story.
    Your side.
    My side.
    The truth.

:biggrin:
  • edited February 2020
    Yeah but that also applies to when journalists report something. People often say they've made something up when it end up not happening/something changed/a club used its legal power to threaten.

The Athletic aren't issuing apologies for publishing the scouting story months ago. And Ex doesn't seem to be facing any pressure for putting it out there either.
  • True. That is something that had not occurred to me.

and I do think we believe what we want to believe.

I’ll not believe what is in the Sun (supposing I pick one up and read something) yet will believe the Gardian at all times.
  • Unless I've got this wrong it was said we only have one scout. In the SKY 'apology' it stated that the club have spent £1.5m on scouts, so that doesn't really refute the original statement.
  • IronHerb said:

Unless I've got this wrong it was said we only have one scout. In the SKY 'apology' it stated that the club have spent £1.5m on scouts, so that doesn't really refute the original statement.

Yeah, it's what I thought as well. I wonder also whether they might hire scouts for certain jobs but not have permanent ones on staff.

This is based on the report produced after the Burnley mutiny a couple of seasons ago. https://theathletic.com/1494456/2019/12/30/swapping-pellegrini-for-moyes-alone-wont-solve-west-hams-problems-the-structure-of-the-club-is-flawed/

"The expert auditors were stunned that the analysis department was so small and surprised that only a few scouts were employed across Europe considering the vast amounts of money that were being spent on signing players for a Premier League club. Some of the scouting information was not even kept electronically. It looked like West Ham were a long way off having the infrastructure in place to succeed."
  • True. That is something that had not occurred to me.

and I do think we believe what we want to believe.

I’ll not believe what is in the Sun (supposing I pick one up and read something) yet will believe the Gardian at all times.

Yes there's some of that. There's also an element of what's earned your trust. Tabloids by their nature are often more willing to publish on weaker information because it fits what they need. The Guardian, The Times and The Telegraph are a bit more careful with sport. But usually none of them are making things up. (I'm not saying they never are).
  • Talk about jumping on the bandwagon. :doh:
  • Tony Evans is a Scouser with a deep Liverpool FC bias so I'm not going to put much store in the opinion of some hack from the Times who probably never ventures further east than Shoreditch.
  • It's in the Independent.
    Have to disagree with you here Aslef - not sure why he can't have an opinion just because he's a Scouser. Where would that leave news reporting/journalism if an opinion is only valid if it's a local one.
  • edited February 2020
    As far as I can see no research has gone into that article. It is just a rehash of (very) old opinions. Nothing new, nothing to see here, moving on.
  • It's in the Independent.
    Have to disagree with you here Aslef - not sure why he can't have an opinion just because he's a Scouser. Where would that leave news reporting/journalism if an opinion is only valid if it's a local one.

News reporting shouldn't contain opinions.
  • edited February 2020
    MrsGrey
    "It's in the Independent.
    Have to disagree with you here Aslef - not sure why he can't have an opinion just because he's a Scouser. Where would that leave news reporting/journalism if an opinion is only valid if it's a local one."

Fixed it for ya.
  • Just a thought.Maybe the memories of the atmosphere at UP are a bit rose tinted after that fantastic last night against Man.U.The last few times I went it was nothing like that.
    It was always “home “ but the “ intimidating atmosphere “ than many journos write about was long gone, that atmosphere was alive and well back in the day but not in recent years.Yes, for the odd game it rocked but in general it didn’t.
    Thinking about it, maybe it started with the old place becoming all seater.Before that, people would get in the ground up to an hour before k o and the atmosphere would build up to a crescendo when the players emerged from the tunnel.Now they down their last pint at 10 to 3 and stroll in for the coin toss.
    This isn’t a comment on the LS btw.
  • Slacker :ok:

There were loads of conversations on here before we moved about how the atmosphere wasn’t what it once was. As you say, that doesn’t make the LS better, but it is certainly being compared against a reality that maybe didn’t exist in our recent history, IMO.
  • Yeah, honestly, I think the atmosphere had long been dying, though it's even worse now. The idea of what Upton Park's atmosphere outlast the thing itself. I remember the nervous weight on the players during the seasons leading up to relegation under Grant but not much of the crowd intimidating oppositions or lifting up our players.
  • edited February 2020
    KB at her first interview, Birmingham City in 1993.
  • David Gold in the news after " liking " a tweet describing Caroline Flack as weak.
  • yoyo said:

David Gold in the news after " liking " a tweet describing Caroline Flack as weak.

That included that sentence.
  • What else was in the tweet? I haven't seen it. Or Caroline Flack, for that matter.
  • he at least admits the mistake made and offered a nice donation to charity.

Problem is this has happened numerous times with David Gold, he needs to get off twitter because there has been a number of times now he has liked / retweeted things without reading the tweet in full.
  • It's such a non story.