West Ham vs Liverpool, 29th January, 19:45

Comments

• Allison with a worldwide save now :weep:
  • edited January 2020
    Lanzini has been useless this season but so have most of them. I feel with Lanzini it's because it's either him or Fornals so fans are frustrated that Moyes is picking Manu over him which I get. But then again bar a few games of late Fornals has been pretty much a pointless signing imo.
  • edited January 2020
    Both have been average, Manu, IMO people forget what he is capable of, the link up with a class player like Payet, shows his class.
    Regardless of all this, i suppose if we can keep it to a 2-0 loss isn't the end of the world, we are after all playing the best team in the division if not world at the moment ( that's 4 u Baz ).
  • Wonder if the new guy will come in against Brighton in a MUST WIN game.
  • I think the reason I personally am frustrated with Lanzini this season is precisely because I know what he’s capable of. He’s a shadow of the player he was, and it’s hard to watch.

Tbh, we’ve created chances, which is more than usual.
  • Maybe he’s not so confident since his injury.
  • alderz said:

I think the reason I personally am frustrated with Lanzini this season is precisely because I know what he’s capable of. He’s a shadow of the player he was, and it’s hard to watch.

Tbh, we’ve created chances, which is more than usual.

It is hard. I love him but he looks broken.
  • fair result, not unexpected , but must say Jon Moss was very harsh in general with decisions for us IMO..
    Liverpool= class, we = can survive with a bit of luck and hard work, will we, IMO no.
  • FT

Players never believed we could get anything out of that, but a better side would have scored a couple of goals with the half dozen chances we had.
  • edited January 2020
    Strange watching a game where I’ve been more focussed on our not conceding again than on our attempts. Whilst I was hoping we’d score I was worried each time we attacked we’d get hit on the break.
  • Lukerz said:

FT

Players never believed we could get anything out of that, but a better side would have scored a couple of goals with the half dozen chances we had.

100% agree with this, Moyes set us up to salvage a point, was never gonna happen.
  • edited January 2020

Maybe he’s not so confident since his injury.

Yes I think this is it. But Fornals coming into some form was the perfect chance to put some hunger into Lanzini. To not give him the pressure of being the creator in the middle when he was fragile. Moyes has inexplicably crushed the run of form Fornals was building and put Lanzini in the firing line.
  • 0-2 means we stay out of the drop zone :cool:
  • That could have been much worse. I will take that performance as ok, and look forward to Brighton on Saturday.
  • Great to have Fab back ,could have been 5 or 8 :bowdown:
  • Saturday is the real game. It's huge.
  • The state of our team atm, and the form of Liverpool I think it could've been much worse

Moyes seriously needs to think about how we initiate attacks, as we aren't looking like we have any clue how to attack
  • More stats
    :Against no side has West Ham manager David Moyes lost more Premier League games than versus Liverpool (17 - level with Arsenal).
    :West Ham have lost six of their last nine Premier League games at London Stadium (W1 D2).
    :Liverpool's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has scored more Premier League goals versus West Ham United than against any other side (3).
    :Liverpool's Mohamed Salah has been directly involved in seven goals in five Premier League games against West Ham (5 goals, 2 assists).
  • My stream froze every few minutes but I thought Masuaku at least did a good job driving us up the pitch. Honestly, I just want to see him as a winger now, without any defensive duties other than tracking back. He's the only player other than Antonio who will carry the ball with speed.
  • Sounds like the young kid did ok.
  • I agree with Oucast that Masuaku had his best game for a while and is best suited to LWB or left midfield. I also thought 3 at the back worked well but would have preferred 2 out and out strikers which might have stopped Robertson and Alexander Arnold attacking as much as they did. The new lad at RWB did OK but of course most of our attacks came down the left.
    Sorry to see Ajeti did not get on to replace Lanzini, who does look weak at the moment. Hopefully we can stick to 3 5 2 on Saturday and play Haller and Antonio up top and really go for it.
  • steve said:

Great to have Fab back ,could have been 5 or 8 :bowdown:

Not sure of that. Fab made 3 saves, none of which were special.
  • Moyes on Lanzini

"He is arguably one of our best players, if not our best player," Moyes argued. "When I was here before I needed him as much as I needed Marko Arnautovic.

"He was such a good player for us and I am desperate to get him back to the levels he was at. I trust him, I believe he can get back to those levels. He has had a bad injury and what I need the supporters to be right behind him because we need him.

"At the moment he is our flair, he is our person that might makes the difference. What he needs is support but I also need him to make sure he does the right things as well. There is nobody more behind him than me."

Doesnt sound like Moyes is going to drop Lanzini anytime soon

Cant agree that hes our best player, even when he was under Moyes first reign
  • The problem for me tonight regarding Lanzini is that we were deliberately set up to frustrate Liverpool and surely that is not the sort of set up where it is hoped that he can excel.

He is best when playing centrally behind hopefully a couple of strikers where he can be creative and cause problems.

I understand why we were set up this way but I do not understand how Lanzini gets the nod over Fornals in such a game.

It was not a disastrous result nor that poor a performance, we were clearly second best and a few played poorly, it was not Nobes best night, but we still created a couple of decent chances out of decent positions.
  • edited January 2020
    Managed to avoid seeing the result and just watched the game. Although we set up for a 0-0 draw we still created some chances in the 2nd half. Lanzini is a liability right now. He needs to be dropped. The only player to show any desire to run with the ball was the new guy who I thought had a decent debut despite some defensive lapses.

I am still appalled how poor we are at throw-ins. I had hoped that Moyes would have fixed this. No one goes towards the ball. Quite often there isn’t a player within 10-15 yards of the thrower, so we’re forced to go long and invariably lose possession. It drives me crazy!

Rice seems to learning from Noble about throwing tantrums. It’s got to stop. He was lucky not to be booked for having a go at the linesman. Noble got booked for dissent. I understand that we want passion but we also need people to keep a cool head.

Having said all that, the final result was better than expected so it does give me hope that just maybe we can get something from Brighton.
  • #winningiswhatidonot
  • Seems to me like Moyes is trying to play Lanzini into form. Fine if you're knocking about in mid-table with nothing to play for, but in our situation we just can't afford to be carrying passengers.

I get that Moyes is trying to be loyal to someone who played well for him before, but it's coming across as reckless, IMO.

Lanzini isn't the only guilty party, I know, but at least we have cover in that position. Fornals was our form player when Moyes arrived, now he's not getting much game time, which for a confidence player - which I think Fornals is - can't be good.
  • Is lanzini Moyes Roberto, loyalty above common sense
  • MIAHammer said:

Rice seems to learning from Noble about throwing tantrums. It’s got to stop. He was lucky not to be booked for having a go at the linesman. Noble got booked for dissent. I understand that we want passion but we also need people to keep a cool head.

I thought Noble was booked for the tackle (they were checking if it was a red on VAR) not dissent
  • Overall we did better than I expected after the West Brom game . The young lad did OK at right back was positve played some nice ball into the penalty box. His position sense was a bit off but nothing he can't work on and I think Snodgrass was trying to help him as much as possible during the game. Lanzini is out of form I can see Moyes is trying to play him into form by giving him game time but its not working and I think Fornals who was assisting and getting a few goals should start ahead of him now. Not seen the penalty yet alot of people in the ground thought there was either and offside /and or handball in the build up . Second goal was really poor two players leaving it for each other. Onto to Brighton and a must win
This discussion has been closed.