Red Leicester away 22/01/20 Match Thread 19.30

Comments

• edited January 2020

To be fair to the owners, we did this way before they came along. I keep remembering a away game at Charlton (Selhurst Park) in the 80’s, Billy Bonds running around like a headless chicken while we cruised to a 4-1 thrashing. Set a young me up for a life of what was too come.

To be fair to our owners? They sold our home and stuck us in a soulless bowl for nothing!

Can you imagine that place, playing in the championship with 20-30 thousand people watching?
  • On the whole I was disappointed, I thought we were awful in the first half but the second half was much better up until they got a penalty.

But then I looked over at the Man U fans watching them lose 2-0 to Burnley at Old Trafford and I really couldn't feel that bad about losing 4-1 away.

Glass half full.
  • edited January 2020
    I'd rather lose 2-0 to Burnley in our own home.
  • To be fair to our owners? They sold our home and stuck us in a soulless bowl for nothing!

Can you imagine that place, playing in the championship with 20-30 thousand people watching?

I can imagine the team with a few home grown players, and a lot more wins!
  • I couldn't care less about being in the Championship. I started supporting West Ham in the old 2nd Division. That's not really the point that I'm personally making. Home grown players and more wins. We could have done that at The Boleyn no?
  • I can’t really argue the point as the Boleyn (bar a few special games in the Bobby Moore lower), lost its appeal to me when they knocked the North bank terraces down. I went to many a soulless game in the bric a brac stands built after. Moving was a case of looking a gift horse in the mouth. Still has time to become a football stadium in the future.
  • I hope you're right :ok:
  • The last time we had a decent crop of home grown players was nearly 20 years ago under Redknapp. Football has changed so we're never going to see that again unless we stay in the Premier League. Otherwise any decent kid is going to go to Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, etc. because they will be able to outbid us.

The Boleyn is gone, its luxury flats now.
  • Just watched it again on MOTD and it looked even worse. For the most part they just jogged between whichever Leicester players had the ball and watched them pass it around. When we had it, which was extremely rare, they just took it off of us.
    We seem to play a different game to most teams.
  • Our next 4 look interesting. As we never seem to beat Brighton it looks like at best 1 point from that one with three pastings in the other
  • Thorn - that was the first half, the second half was a lot better.
  • Leicester were excellent. Best team I have seen in a long time
  • Is that the same Leicester that just lost to burnley and Southampton and drew with Villa?

We make a lot of teams look much better than they actually are as we are so poor and put in so little effort.

• 5-3-2 formation needs scrapping straight away. IMO poor from Moyes.
    1st half- hopeless, 2nd half- A very soft penalty IMO , better than 1st half, but in all another very average performance & tactics from our manager.
    We so desperately need new players.
  • Moyes has to make a call on Lanzini soon

On one hand I know what's hes trying to do, lanzini was such an integral part of Moyes first reign as a second striker off Arnie so hes trying to get him back to that place

However, he has literally been anonymous....easily the most forgettable player in the team yesterday and even worse hes keeping out Fornals who was starting to come alive in the prem after a slow start

There is only so long you can keep playing someone you HOPE is going to get back fo his best when in reality hes showing very little to justify that hope
  • Or, and it's a crazy idea, play a striker as a second striker. £8m for Ajeti and he doesn't even get off the bench when we're chasing a game.

It's evident that neither Pellegrini or Moyes rate him, so the question is who identified him as a target? And why? If he can't get a kick in our situation then what's the point of having him here?
  • edited January 2020

Are they having a laugh?
  • Wish the owners would apply that discount to their valuation of the club.
  • Is that the same Leicester that just lost to burnley and Southampton and drew with Villa?

We make a lot of teams look much better than they actually are as we are so poor and put in so little effort.

It was the same Leicester who are 3rd in the league, the one that's 8 points clear of 4th place and look like they are cruising to a champions league place.
  • edited January 2020
    Both Hutton & Moojor ,
    IMO both of your above statements are true, HOWEVER IMO we were very poor in the 1st half, & slightly improved in the 2nd & only got on the scoresheet via a VERY SOFT penalty...

For a team battling a dog fight with other teams to stay up, last night simply was not good enough, regardless who we were playing.

other teams ( Burnley /Villa have proved Leicester can be beaten or have points taken from them, we sadly from the 1st minute never looked like a team who could.
  • edited January 2020
    I really wish I knew what the answer is...alas I'm devoid of any confidence. I just hope Moyes isn't. IF we go down then I worry we'll be there for quite a while. Such promises made. I was quite looking forward to this season. How has it come to this? :doh:
  • Hamstew said:

I couldn't care less about being in the Championship. I started supporting West Ham in the old 2nd Division. That's not really the point that I'm personally making. Home grown players and more wins. We could have done that at The Boleyn no?

Cmon ham going down would be an absolute disaster.
    Every team strives to be in the premier league and staying up is the most important thing for me at the moment.
    We have always bounced back when we have been relegated but this could be the time we don't.Look at sunderland.?
    I have heard people say i would take going down if that got rid if the owners but how do we know they would sell up.?

• But what's the point in staying up? We never progress. Most of our seasons in the top flight we've finished bottom half with a negative goal difference. We peaked in 1986, for crying out loud. The two times we've actually qualified for the Europa League we've approached it with a terrible attitude and gone out early to bang average opposition.

Upton Park was perfectly fit for the players we have and the manager we have. And I'd take Championship football there over Premier League in the OS every day of the week.
  • Not much more can be said about the performance and result BUT what a piece of work that Schmeichel is.Just the worst side of football.That abuse of the lino and ref went all around the world last night . He seems to get away with it time after time.I remember going there a couple of seasons ago against us and he was exactly the same.I wonder where he gets it from...............?
    And as for those soppy clapper things they dish out I could think of somewhere nice and secure they could put them.
  • OCS :wave:

So once we went down you would be happy with that would you.?Maybe playing the likes of rotherham or wycombe(if they came up).
  • mike said:

OCS :wave:

So once we went down you would be happy with that would you.?Maybe playing the likes of rotherham or wycombe(if they came up).

Nope.

But I'm not happy now.

And I'll never be happy under our current owners because they're killing the club I love.
  • edited January 2020
    mike said:

Hamstew said:

I couldn't care less about being in the Championship. I started supporting West Ham in the old 2nd Division. That's not really the point that I'm personally making. Home grown players and more wins. We could have done that at The Boleyn no?

Cmon ham going down would be an absolute disaster.
    Every team strives to be in the premier league and staying up is the most important thing for me at the moment.
    We have always bounced back when we have been relegated but this could be the time we don't.Look at sunderland.?
    I have heard people say i would take going down if that got rid if the owners but how do we know they would sell up.?

I don't think you understand what I am saying. I've already said going down would be a disaster. But only because of current circumstances.
  • edited January 2020
    Seen us in similar positions under SA, and Bilic but always felt we’d get out of it

This time, no - it’s the perfect storm, Slav will get promoted and we’re going down with the supposed Moysiah

They dabbled with a proven manager and it didn’t work, can’t knock them for that but to revert to type just shows what they’re about

We’re going down people and it doesn’t phase me nor do i fear it, if it means we could be one step closer to this lot leaving our club one way or another or at the very least changing their ways (highly unlikely)

Going down would only be a financial disaster for the owners, they wouldn’t get their 45m loans back and would have to bridge any shortfall which they hate to do

Let’s hope they’d look at getting rid of the top earners - Brady? I mean they’ll be in the worst football stadium in the country staring at 36k empty seats brilliant !

COYI
  • Ham & OCS :ok:
    I get your points of view
    One thing we can all agree on is that we are unhappy with the situation we are in.
This discussion has been closed.