Darren Randolph: The Return

2»

Comments

• edited January 2020
    Interesting reaction...

So this guy left us as a squad player, only to become the Championship goalkeeper of the year, & Middlesbrough’s best player, within two seasons?

He replaces Roberto, the man who looked like the kid at school who hated PE.

And this is bad news, because?
  • Just curious, how many Premier League clubs have 2 keepers we would consider as ‘Premier League standard’?

How many are hoping Trott will be our number 1 in 2-3 years time, so why bring in another who you’d expect to be available for 10 years?

Randy will be excellent backup for Fab and a good positive member of the squad, so Trott and Anand won’t need to be rushed in and will hopefully learn their trade from excellent role models...
  • Bazshuayi said:

I haven't got any problem with Randy Alderz...

#lights touchpaper and slips into the shadows :whistle:

I don`t have a problem with Darren Randolph.

Randy Alderz on the other hand........................ :nonono:
    That was supposed to be the joke... Surely I wasn't too subtle? :puzzled:
  • I think it is also not beyond the realms of possibility that he has become a better goalkeeper than he was when we had him last. He may well have improved. He has been number 1 for ROI & Boro for two years.
  • A lot of the frustration has been caused by our proceeding with a purchase of a player who is struggling to pass a medical. So not anything personal to Randolph per se

It remains to be seen if these concerns are founded
  • Or...
    Well done to the club for requiring doing extremely thorough additional investigations, beyond the normal medical, to make sure that there is no ongoing problem with the old injury.

Could be just as accurate a version of events.
  • Each to their own I guess. But the club’s record on all things medical/injuries isn’t the greatest (IMO). For all we know they could have done all sorts of additional checks on Wilshere, for example, earning plenty of “well dones” at the time.

Time will tell on Randolph.
  • Glass half empty / glass half full...... Yer takes yer choice. ;)
  • Moyes on Randolph:

“He’s as fit as we can get him. Ideally we’d have waited a week longer, we’re happy to take the risk. He’s trained fine and we’re glad to have him on board. It’s not a great risk but he’s had an injury, he’s been doing all the work he’s had to do.” https://t.co/WZLX9Umix8

Doesn't exactly scream confidence, does it
  • Half empty/half full depends whose round it is next. If it’s yours then your glass is half full but if it’s not then you’re half empty and ready for another one.
  • edited January 2020
    But we don't know anything about Wilsheres medical but we do know they carried out a couple with Randy, which shows they were being careful. Cant knock them for that.
  • I won't knock them for being diligent, but in our fragile situation on the 'keeper front I'm amazed they've taken the risk on Randolph
  • Welcome back Darren.

• Randys new shirt now available from the clubs store

• He's never let Ireland down. But a big risk, to gamble on an injured player. I hope we don't ruin him for the Irish ;)
  • But he’s not injured. He’s been training this week and is in contention to play. I don’t get that because a player gets an injury he will never be fit again. :hmm:
  • edited January 2020
    Herbie, Moyes' comments suggest he's not 100% fit. He admits it's a risk to play him.

We've seen with Fabianski what can happen when you play someone who isn't 100% fit. To take that risk, given our 'keeper situation and position in the league, is a bit reckless, IMO.

There's every chance that he'll be fine. He could play tomorrow, play for the next month with no reaction at all. But how would you feel if he's subbed off after 15 minutes having tweaked the injury and is out for another month?
  • Maybe it's a cunning plan by the Moyesiah to con his old employers. :pray:
  • Maybe it's a cunning plan by the Moyesiah to con his old employers. :pray:

Spend all week talking about the keeper situation, then play Roberto up front to confuse them
  • It was reported West Ham wanted to know if Randy could kick a ball with his injury before they would finalize the transfer.

I believe the dialogue went something like this in his second medical. Apparently A Tribe called Quest were the agents in the transfer....

Can I kick it? Yes, you can!
    Well, I'm gone. Go on then

:hmm:
  • alderz said:

Maybe it's a cunning plan by the Moyesiah to con his old employers. :pray:

Spend all week talking about the keeper situation, then play Roberto up front to confuse them
    He’d be better up front playing off haller imo :lol: