West Ham v Sheffield Utd (A) 10:01:2020 KO 20:00 - Match Thread

167891012»

Comments

• I’d even accept that bubbles
  • On the plus side, if we do go down, we get a year off from the relegation battle and some marginally more interesting away games.

:thumbsup:
  • Points from last 6 games:

Norwich 3/18

Bournemouth 4/18

Villa 6/18

Watford 16/18 ( :clap: )

Burnley 6/18

West Ham 4/18

Brighton 4/18

Newcastle 4/18

Soton 13/18

Palace 7/18

People need to stop imagining that the teams around us are any good.

We have 6/18 by the way. (Bournemouth and Southampton) :biggrin:
  • On the plus side, if we do go down, we get a year off from the relegation battle and some marginally more interesting away games.

:thumbsup:

Did you nick that from the Sunderland forum a few seasons ago!
  • Yep, that made me think of all the double relegation free fall teams too :nonono:
  • Just seen a replay of Deccer's disallowed goal. Shocking mistake from the VAR bod. Clearly comes off their defender's head, so by suggested interpretation, should have stood.
  • I’m getting confused. I thought it didn’t matter how it ended up hitting the hand when it comes to a build-up to a goal.

Just that if it hits the hand, it’s disallowed regardless?
  • Jorderz

You are right.

The 'deflection' interpretation posted by others is solely for potential penalties. Any goal that involves handball by an attacker is to be disallowed, with no reference to intention.
  • edited January 2020

Just seen a replay of Deccer's disallowed goal. Shocking mistake from the VAR bod. Clearly comes off their defender's head, so by suggested interpretation, should have stood <,/strike>

As you were. Correct decision under current rules.
  • It was still brutal, in real time in any other season, there was no way the officials would have given the handball, however VAR clearly showed that during the attacking phase of play, the ball unintentionally struck the hand and was deflected to Deckers advantage.

Given the current rules, I can see why VAR struck off the goal.

Let’s hope that some latitude is introduced regarding the use of VAR - at the end of the day I want to see it used to capture clear and obvious errors on behalf of the officials.

Offsides where it is clear on review that the attacker is offside, not by millimeters but where it is considered clear enough that the officials should have seen it.

handballs where intent is clear, not when it simply brushes the arm or strikes the arm from short range, VAR can still give a handball despite lack of intent if the arms are extended and the ball makes contact, once again correcting decisions where it is considered clear enough that the officials should have seen it.

This is probably going to be unpopular, but on balance I am not sure that I would use VAR for straight reds, it happens rarely and the officials will only give a straight red if they have seen an offense that they feel warrants it -

cressers is good example of this, the VAR showed that he got the ball and many do not think it was even a foul, however, in real time he came in hard and IMO, the Ref can be forgiven in believing he was reckless and endangering a player.

I get that VAR stopped a game changing decision which many will consider a win for VAR, but was the decision of the Ref a true clear and obvious error? I know that I winced when I saw it.

if a Red card had been issued then an appeal could have been made and presumably won, I worry slightly that the position of the ref is somewhat undermined when VAR corrects a decision like that, on an incident that was seen and action taken upon.

Cannot VAR be helpful in heated incidents when players are swarming around and the official cannot possibly be sure of who pushed, squared up to or even head butted who etc, there are times when stuff is going on behind their back that cannot possibly be seen, so VAR Would be truly assisting the officials there.

In many such occasions the officials simply brandish a yellow for the original sin and almost randomly show a yellow to one of the protesting team - the officials reviewing VAR could identify All the offenders and inform the ref of the appropriate response, and if that means four or five yellows then so be it.

Just my tuppence worth

Ho hum
  • edited January 2020
    Chicago, your point about Cresswell, if he'd been given a red card then we'd have been down to ten men giving the opposition a clear advantage. All very well having it rescinded afterwards but it wouldn't change the result of the game.

I would personally like to see the use of a sin-bin introduced for red cards, so that the player is sent to it and the game can resume immediately. VAR can check whether the card is warranted while play continues. If it is warranted, then he is dismissed from the game but if VAR reduces it to yellow then he spends 10-15 minutes in the sin-bin and if VAR thinks there was no offence he returns to the game immediately.
    I think this would take some of the tension and protests out of the situation if the offending team know that the player may well return to the game.
  • And if the opposition score while the player (defender) is in the sin bin... what if it's the GK?

While your sin-bin idea looks like it might solve the problem, it actually doesn't address the fundamental issue and which VAR does, imo. Because yes, the player can come back into the game (the actual game, not the one after like when a card is rescinded) if the VAR says so, but the team is still playing at a disadvantage as a result of a wrong game-changing decision (albeit or a shorter period... assuming the event takes place before the final stages of the game - but if it's with the last 10 mins, then what?)

So the sin bin idea avoids a VAR-related delay, but the fundamental problem (that VAR was supposed to solve) still exists.
  • Personally, I think the rule change about handball is rubbish. And thought so at the start as well.

imo it's another measure that was introduced to stop a problem but all it has done is create a new problem. Whereas leaving the rule as it was (ref has to judge whether it was deliberate or accidental wherever on the pitch it occurs) but now having VAR to give him a chance for another look and a bit more time to reach a decision would, imo, have been the best option.
  • I would say VAR should check whether somebody handballs it in, accidental or not.

Otherwise, I agree. Nonsense.
  • MrsG, the one thing the sin-bin does address is the problem of delaying the game.
    I get your point about if the opposition score or it's the goalkeeper and the player is allowed to come back after VAR says there was no offence at all. But how often would that happen, the best that would most likely happen is that the red is reduced to yellow. Or perhaps there could be a special circumstance if the GK is the perceived offender.
    I think also that the punishment for a yellow should just be the sin-bin, although with 2nd yellow in the same game the player is sin-binned again (or perhaps sent off) and misses next game. No accumulation of single yellow cards; straight red (verified by VAR) same punishment as now.
    It's not easy is it, but something needs doing.
  • edited January 2020

I get your point about if the opposition score or it's the goalkeeper and the player is allowed to come back after VAR says there was no offence at all. But how often would that happen,

If the goalkeeper has been sent off then the red card incident will either have resulted in a penalty or a free kick close to the penalty area so highly likely that a goal would have been scored before VAR could come to a decision.

The same would apply for any red card offence in the penalty area, by the time VAR had been used the penalty would have been taken and most likely a goal could have been scored. Clearly that would mean that any offence inside the penalty area would have to wait for VAR before the penalty could be taken.

However if the red card offence was judged by the referee to be inches outside the box the player could go to your "sin bin" and a free kick taken without delay while VAR did its stuff.

Somehow I suspect a sin bin would create its own problems.
  • The Sin Bin should be there for Yellow cards anyway.
  • Dodger58 said:

The Sin Bin should be there for Yellow cards anyway.

Half the man city team would be in the bin for half way fouls , maybe then we might get a draw :biggrin:
  • Don't think they were half way fouls whupathman, they were fully committed fouls imo. ;)
  • Aslef

"a free kick close to the penalty area so highly likely that a goal would have been scored"

Obviously no danger if we're the opposition. :biggrin:

Also, I said "perhaps there could be a special circumstance if the GK is the perceived offender"
  • On the handball thing - how far back you go question - an improvement could be only if it hits the arm/hand of the player actually scoring the goal so both Antonio's would have been disallowed but the Rice/Snoddy goal would be ok. Simples
  • So ours was handball and qpr today against Leeds wasn’t ?
  • Cuz,

Because less people dislike Sheffield United to Leeds. :biggrin:
  • Interesting slant made by one pundit, backed up by a ref and it alluded to the Son goal where he ran from his own penalty area to score but related to our effort last week.
    If the ball had ricocheted to Rice’s hand in our penalty area but not picked up by the ref and he’d run the length of the field, passed to Snodders who scored VAR would have gone right back to the initial incident and disallowed the goal. However VAR would also have looked at the possible penalty but said no because there was no intent.
    The pundit, apart from saying how daft it was, asked what would be the decision as to who got the ball to restart. The ref thought it would be the team conceding the “non goal” as the handball was the offence and it would be a free kick BUT where from?
  • Thinking again on what the ref said, if it wasn’t handball in our area then surely the goal should have stood. Even the ref was confused on this issue.
This discussion has been closed.