West Ham v Gillingham (A) FA Cup 3rd Round (05.01.20-KO 18:16) Match Thread

14567810»

Comments

• It wasn't an exciting performance but I think it was the right performance. Gillingham were aggressive in their approach and made it challenging, but we dealt well with their pressure and they ultimately didn't threaten us that much. Fabianski made a good save but otherwise the BT sports half-time segment labelled "Gillingham chances" was actually a montage of our defence making clearances.

Our defence had a lot of work to do and did it well. They came with a lot of energy but our players matched them. Ideally, they would've added some more creativity to that in the first half.

The second half was completely ours. It's a shame Haller didn't finish that chance off. I know the commentators joked about it but I think it did bobble up before he struck it. That might not have been a problem if he'd gone low though.

I think we'd have lost without Fabianski in goal though. I think his reaction and positioning for their chance from the corner wouldn't have been replicated by Martin and certainly not Roberto.
  • I thought it was a good performance :hmm: First half went exactly as lots of these types of games go then the class shone through in the second. Just my opinion of course.
  • I thought it was about as good a performance as you can realistically expect in a game like this.

They're flying in the league, at home, nothing to lose, excited crowd, horrible pitch.

We coped early on and then got hold of the game and killed it fairly easily.
  • it was average imo. I think it was lucky we got in at half time 0-0 but definitely Gillingham had thrown the kitchen sink in the first half.
  • alderz said:

Clyne is out for the season at Liverpool, fwiw

I’m not going to believe this until we get confirmation from Baz
    He was diagnosed as being out for 6 months and due back at the end of January 2020 (the last time I poked my face into Liverpool business :whistle: )
  • From his post-match comments, which shed a bit of light on what we might expect going forward. 3 at the back was a trial run.

“To be fair, I didn’t think the wing-backs got forward well enough in the first half and I wanted to play three at the back because I wanted to see that we’ve got the flexibility if we think we have to go that way, we can do so, and I also thought it was a chance to see how we could perform.
  • Do you think their pitch was smaller (Narrower), which would not have helped?
  • It did appear narrower.
  • I don’t think it was really a game that showed much about the formation. No team is going to set up against us like that in the league.

But also, Masuaku was a major driving force throughout the game. He didn’t always get it right but he pushed forward constantly and the first goal basically came from his run.

Later in the game he also made some more of those underlapping runs on the inside. We haven’t done enough of that this season but they are exactly what Anderson loved last season. He plays impossible through balls when he gets that kind of run to feed and it gives a free cross from the left every time.
  • Outcast:
    "He (Anderson) plays impossible through balls." :ok:
This discussion has been closed.