VAR friend or foe.

Comments

• I am a fan of anything that helps correct wrong decisions as the game is based on a set of rules that determine how its played and the outcome, however the issue is the consistency in different VAR operators judgment. This is the same as referees in general but VAR allows replay to act as a second chance at ensuring the officials get it right but even with the replay facility a human being is still interpreting thigs like red cards etc.

In short I want to keep it and give it the time, it will likely be better used in its second or third season. It most certainly isn't working perfectly at present.
  • edited February 2020
    I think the blame lies more with David Coote ( VAR ) Ref than the on pitch official, I mean what part of his brain thought that wasn't a red card after checking every angle for 3 minutes?...
    Saying that Michael Oliver is England's highest ranked referee ( FIFA ) anyway, & he had the option of checking the monitor himself, It's another muck up, & I would love to never see VAR again, I would accept official errors on pitch more than VAR officials who have the luxury of TV replays getting it still horribly wrong, can't celebrate goals anymore, taken all the fun & spirit out of the game IMO
    just get rid of VAR & go old school again.
  • edited February 2020
    So they have admitted that they made a mistake, no booking was even given so does that mean there can be retrospective action?
  • I don’t think so.

I think it comes under ‘the ref has seen it and said it was ok so you can’t look at it again’ rule.
  • I don’t think so.

I think it comes under ‘the ref has seen it and said it was ok so you can’t look at it again’ rule.

that's sad!
  • VAR now rules out a Bournemouth goal. Harshly, yes, but definitely our friend on this occasion.
  • edited February 2020
    Lukerz said:

The only possible way of it ever working long term is if the panel who review are former players/managers

Having textbook officials watch it back just offers nothing

So are you saying you want the video assistant referee to not be an actual referee?

I think that's a terrible idea, and even more terrible would be getting ex players and ex managers to do the job. Too many of them don't know the rules of the game.

It's necessary to have qualified referees making refereeing decions, imo. I wouldn't want any old amateur sticking their oar in.
  • I was just doing a bit of VAR fact- checking. Apparently, the ref can only look at the on-field monitor if he is recommended to do so by the remote referee.
  • I think they might want to consider changing that.
  • My god what is happening at the Burnley game.
  • var is our friend today
  • It is but it doesn't feel like football anymore. More like a soap.
  • And my wife says I suck the fun out of a room ,Nothing like VAR doing it to football
  • So David Coote who had such a good game with VAR at lunchtime gets to do it all over again for the evening game. :doh:
  • PL has admitted to getting it wrong in all 3 matches yesterday - 2 pens given that should have been ruled out, and one not given that should have been.
  • MrsGrey said:

PL has admitted to getting it wrong in all 3 matches yesterday - 2 pens given that should have been ruled out, and one not given that should have been.

Farcical
  • From the article on the BBC ( sorry can't post the link) it also seems that FiFa will be taking over responsibility for var next season ( from ifab) and are expected to require greater consistency. So, less opportunity for the PL and FA doing it in their own way, and ( probably) more use of pitchside monitors.
  • The handball law changed on 1 June too but we are not using it this season for “integrity” reasons.
    A goal will only be disallowed for accidental handball if it occurred immediately prior to the goal being scored or an opportunity created. It seems the word immediately was introduced to rule out goals scored with the hand or dropping for someone to score.
    Bournemouth’s goal last night would still be ruled out but I think ours at the Blades would have stood.
  • thorn

That definitely seems fairer, but I do worry that that law sounds pretty open to interpretation still.
  • Yes but hopefully VAR will be better monitored and more consistent. Still don’t know if Spurs first would have been disallowed even though it went from arm to leg and in.
  • I reckon it will take a few seasons to find its feet. I understand you can't go chopping and changing during the season but there should be a meeting to discuss what needs to be changed once the season has ended.
    Giving the ref more options like viewing it himself would be good. After all most people would admit to a mistake but wouldn't just want to be overridden.
  • edited July 2020

The handball law changed on 1 June too but we are not using it this season for “integrity” reasons.
    A goal will only be disallowed for accidental handball if it occurred immediately prior to the goal being scored or an opportunity created. It seems the word immediately was introduced to rule out goals scored with the hand or dropping for someone to score.
    Bournemouth’s goal last night would still be ruled out but I think ours at the Blades would have stood.

and the spurs one ruled out, oops, the issue is not the technology but the people looking at it not doing their jobs according to the laws of the game.
  • And on the last two Spurs VAR controversies it's been good old Michael Oliver, who just happens to be in charge of Sundays north London derby. Could be fun. :*
  • Even Dermot Gallagher cannot justify why Tarkowski was not sent off for his challenge on Bowen.
  • espn.co.uk have some interesting analysis on VAR and from that West Ham have had the worst outcome of -6 goals through 'overturns' of decisions.
    No goals awarded for, 5 goals disallowed , 5 goals against allowed , 4 goals against disallowed.
    Brighton did best with an aggregate +6 goals.
  • The issue, imo, isn't VAR per se, it is how the PL in its arrogance has chosen to implement it idiosyncratically compared to the rest of Europe. I haven't seen any of these problems in European games I've watched. For the Romeu stamp, there was no reason not to advise the ref to have a look on the monitor., and 10 seconds later he would have rightly been gone.
  • Hate it, its ruining the game

The solution seems so simple

Referees by and large are qualified to do their job, but they miss things. VAR should be used to notify refs of what they may have missed.

Then once they notify the ref, the decision should be left with the ref to make his call once hes reviewed it.....not to pinpoint every penalty that exists in the 90 minutes

The offside rule needs changing, unfortunately that's the biggest takeaway as does the handball rule.

Couldn't celebrate Souceks 1st official goal vs chelsea as much as the unofficial one as I thought they were going to pull it back
  • I thought this would be of interest, I am a member of a Facebook Group called "The Close Call" which started off as being cricket umpires, but has extended to referees from other sports.

One of the members posted a question on the accuracy of the offside decisions and where the video assistant draws the lines. He got the following response:

"I provided all the audio services for FIFA at the 2018 football World Cup.
    Therefore I have seen first hand the VAR in action. The calibrations are done prior to every match. The pitch dimensions and line markings are all checked and confirmed. The camber of the pitch is then imputed into the system. Each camera picture used is calibrated.
    During the match the system allows the operator to move the offside line over a still frame of footage. The vertical reference is positioned by the operator at the point of the body in question. The camera angles are all synchronised to a time code so the operator can see exactly which frame represents the point of contact of the ball at the time the player is being checked for offside. The technology is sound but it’s limitations arise from the camera feeds being used. Most camera angles used are 50 frames per second. Therefore between frames a player or the ball can move a large distance. At present the protocol is to use the ‘best’ frame available. In order to compensate for the margin of error the width of the lines used is larger. The accuracy of positioning is within a few millimetres. Hope I didn’t send you to sleep!"

Followed up by:

"The main problem therefore, as you’ve touched upon, is that the precise moment the ball leaves the foot cannot be determined. For me it needs a greater tolerance and therefore much thicker lines to determine if offside or not would allow for this and give this margin for error."
  • VAR was supposed to remove the uncertainty regarding offsides. The human body would not allow a linesman to know the precise moment the ball was kicked and the exact position of the attacker in relation to the defenders. To do this he/she would have to be cross eyed because eyes are normally designed to function and focus together.
  • So maybe juggling makes a good linesman?