West Ham v Bournemouth - New Years Day 2020 (ko 5:30) - Match thread

Comments

• Wow, this is our lucky day, what a let off. Solanke heads onto the post straight into Fab's arms.
  • Great headed attempt by Manu (considering his height) but the keeper saves well.
  • Arthur coming on for Cresswell

Nope. Replacing Snodgrass
  • Arthur coming on for Cresswell

My bad, he's come on for Snodgrass who's put a real shift in, but after Cresswell's lunge I'd have taken him off tbh.
  • Never a red. He got all the ball. As he kicked the ball, his other foot was on the ground. Not reckless endangerment at all. Excellent use of VAR - exactly what it should be doing. Ensuring the ref doesn't get game changing decisions wrong.
  • We could have had 7 (seven).

Where has this level of effort been this season?
  • The ref gets one look at it and gives a red card. VAR looked at it with different angles and they issue a yellow. The right decision, although I don't think it was a yellow. How is the ref undermined?
  • Bournemouth making us look like Barcelona
  • MIAHammer said:

Bournemouth making us look like Barcelona

Before Gillingham make us look like Grays u11's :lol:
  • The ref gets one look at it and gives a red card. VAR looked at it with different angles and they issue a yellow. The right decision, although I don't think it was a yellow. How is the ref undermined?

I like to think that if the ref had looked on the pitch side monitor, he'd have given it as yellow.
  • I feel a bit let down this half with just the one goal!
  • Fornals shoulda done better with that effort, but he's definitely started to find his feet now.
  • I feel a bit let down this half with just the one goal!

Yup. It's been a long time time since I've been disappointed with just scoring 4.
  • edited January 2020
    MrsGrey said:

Never a red. He got all the ball. As he kicked the ball, his other foot was on the ground. Not reckless endangerment at all. Excellent use of VAR - exactly what it should be doing. Ensuring the ref doesn't get game changing decisions wrong.

The question is wether or not the refs judgement was a clear and obvious error, IMO, the challenge was rash and gave sufficient cause to trigger the refs decision.

Clearly you disagree which is fine, but I assume your call is based on the viewing of various angles provided by the replay which the ref does not have the benefit of.

If the ref had missed or not seen the challenge I would agree with the use of VAR but he saw it and once agin, in my opinion, his call was not a clear or obvious error.

I think that Cresswell was lucky boy

• edited January 2020
    So disappointing to see West Ham fans leaving early. Could ya not just stay and clap the players and the new manager. Just once. I'm sure it would mean a lot.
  • Win. It’s what he does
  • Thorn about? :wink:
  • happy happy joy joy, leaving early as no overground my guess
  • We are the best PL side of the decade
  • A few things today that were part of why I was happy to see Moyes back.

Mainly, players running and putting in effort to close down. It was so refreshing to see us push the ball all the way back to their goalkeeper several times. Can’t remember us doing that under Pelle hardly ever.

Ogbonna, Rice, Noble and Snodgrass in particular were outstanding, I thought.

We’ve got too much quality in the squad to go down. Get us working hard and running and the talent at the other end will pull us clear.

Having said all that, Bournemouth were utterly atrocious.
  • MrsGrey said:

So disappointing to see West Ham fans leaving early. Could ya not just stay and clap the players and the new manager. Just once. I'm sure it would mean a lot.

Probably the neutrals and tourists.
  • MrsGrey said:

Never a red. He got all the ball. As he kicked the ball, his other foot was on the ground. Not reckless endangerment at all. Excellent use of VAR - exactly what it should be doing. Ensuring the ref doesn't get game changing decisions wrong.

The question is wether or not the refs judgement was a clear and obvious error, IMO, the challenge was rash and gave sufficient cause to trigger the refs decision.

Clearly you disagree which is fine, but I assume your call is based on the viewing of various angles provided by the replay which the ref does not have the benefit of.

If the ref had missed or not seen the challenge I would agree with the use of VAR but he saw it and once agin, in my opinion, his call was not a clear or obvious error.

I think that Cresswell was lucky boy

See, I think it was a clear error. And that's what I want VAR to do - help the refs when they get key decisions wrong because they don't see it properly because of positioning or speed.
  • MrsGrey said:

Probably the neutrals and tourists.
    I was thinking you'd expect way more enthusiasm from our fans after that performance. Didn't hear that much singing. Rarely do anymore.
  • a good start for Moyes, FA Cup 3rd round will be interesting especially when i will be there to witness it.
  • Always said Moyes was the right fit :sub:
    Chicago, just to say I have Ian wright in studio & he agrees with you...so you not alone in your thought of the red/yellow..
  • Excellent performance. I pray it's not just a one off. I do agree re fans leaving but it is a massive nuisance getting home from that ground. Depending on where you live obviously.
  • Strong team I hope winning becomes a habit when your manager wins games
  • Jorderz
    "A few things today that were part of why I was happy to see Moyes back.
    Mainly, players running and putting in effort to close down."

Didn't he say the first time he was here "if you don't run, you don't play"
    MP seems to have been too undemanding in this respect.

• Moyes is a God............................. :biggrin:
  • No, he's just a very naughty boy! :biggrin:
This discussion has been closed.