The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• edited January 2020

Makes me laugh how sections of the meejah pick their narratives. Arteta is hailed as a genius for getting a couple of wins, and changing things at half-time in the FA Cup, while the Moyesiah is sneered at and dismissed.

Especially as Arteta would have more than likely picked up most of his managerial experiences from Moyes due to playing his best football under him at Everton.
  • yoyo said:

we should be looking at snapping up the likes of Cole, Rio, Collison , whether they are currently employed or not. Plan for the long term.

Cole is interested in coaching at West Ham but talks are "early doors" (Guardian).

Collison was our U-16s coach until June this year when he left to take up a better job in Atlanta

Rio took his badges in 2016 but since then has shown zero interest and seems happier being a pundit. More likely he'll replace Lineker than coach for us.

I don't care whether our coaching staff are ex-Hammers or not, we should be hiring the best we can get.
  • Before Rio replaces Lineker (on MOTD), he'll have to have a few elocution lessons.
  • Joe Cole said on Sky that he’d like to work for us. He was kind of saying he’d want to be manager but assume he realises he’s never getting that job with his current experience. I think it would be nice to have him and there are benefits. But he’s here to learn as well and I hope as well that we have the best staff for the roles. We need a new director of football who is not attached to Moyes and who can plan our recruitment, including in coaching roles.
  • edited January 2020
    I don't care whether our coaching staff are ex-Hammers or not, we should be hiring the best we can get.

Exactly. Few can have had more commitment to the club than Dicksy, but he was hardly stellar in his time on the back room staff. (Although the cones never looked neater, and he did leave us with a large quantity of old rope...)
  • The good news is Moyes gets better with age

• I saw that when on a recent Moyes pic hunt. My mouse was too afraid to click on it :nonono:
  • Easily the most terrifying thing I’ve ever seen.
  • I'm sure Ham has something in his photo library to challenge that
  • I'm sure Ham has something in his photo library to challenge that

• MODS !!!!!!!!!!!!! :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:
  • If that’s a genuine Moyes picture I reckon Ian Dowie keeps a copy for when he needs reassuring.
  • edited July 2020
    So, as we approach the end, what are our thoughts on him ahead of next season & possibly beyond?

Is he the right fit or does he still have more to do to win you over?
  • Lukerz said:

So, as we approach the end, what are our thoughts on him ahead of next season & possibly beyond?

Is he the right fit & does he still have more to do to win you over?

IMO he has done a good job and I’ve enjoyed the way we’ve played when things seem to go how he wants them to. But I am not convinced he’s right for us, personally. I’m interested to see what he does in the transfer market and how we start next season, and will be very happy to see him be successful
  • Moyes has done what's been asked of him on these two occasions so I think he deserves another season to get the team playing as he wants to. I think we've seen some of that since the restart.

As like in his previous tenure he's definitely got the squad fitter, as was borne out with the 'distance covered' figures over the first four or five games. That was reflected in the effort shown, which most fans see as the first requirement.

He is old school which to me means he wants to build from the back but has also shown that he can improve and adapt forward players, Arnie and Antonio.

Our Board will only appoint tried and trusted managers so I can't see us getting a new age, young or radical manager so as a safe pair of hands there is not a a lot choice. That sounds a bit negative but we have to get by with what we're given.

So basically he has earned his chance.
  • Mr Moyes has to recognise the talent we already have in the squad and find a way to best utilise it. Using Haller as example if he isn't going to set up in such a way to allow him to be a benefit to the team then he has to unfortunately sell him for a decent price and be allowed to reinvest the money. We may have to accept results over style. If he makes us a hard working outfit that actually delivers more than they promise that will be a step in the right direction. He has to use the next transfer window to acquire the players to improve where we are weak and to indicate to Declan that it is worth hanging around if only for one more season.
  • For me what Mr Moyes has achieved is quite significant. The team had no backbone and looked rudderless until he came. As a supporter you know it is tough in the premier league and all games are hard but you don’t want your team just caving in week after week with little passion. The manager has done a great job of inspiring the team in a very difficult time and I am pleased for him as he seems a thoroughly decent man. The challenge is not letting the team slip back into the old ways that has been so difficult to stop for so many managers at this club.
  • I would say this spell has been a much better spell for him compared to his first. We had some right drab results first time round but I think we have been defensively better this time. Only Leicester away, where we lost 4-1, have we been abject defensively. I mean our second worse defeat margin has been 2-0 (Liverpool, Man City).

But then we do have a better squad than first time round.

I am curious to see how he moulds the side over the summer & what his first 11 will be come first day of next season.
  • I'm happy

Still hasnt completely won me over, but I like what hes done, especially the last few games and just before lockdown

He has a certain style, which initially can come across as very negative, but as the weeks go by the team have got better and better and we are doing the offensive and defensive side of the game very well

I like the effort and discipline in the side, something we've lacked for years

Think Bowen and Soucek have added real quality to the squad, enough quality that we were too good to go down, which helped him....but if it was Moyes specifically who asked for them he should get credit

We were a point above the bottom 3 before he took over, and we arent too much higher now....so it hasnt been perfect

I like how we are set up atm, and think with a couple additions mid table is attainable

Think that we would take a year of stability and hopefully no fear of the drop, and think Moyes can give us that

He wants to bring in young hungry players which I'm all for, too much of our activity has been short term planning (and just bad planning)
  • IH..I agree with most of what you say ...although your comment

"Our Board will only appoint tried and trusted managers so I can't see us getting a new age, young or radical manager so as a safe pair of hands there is not a a lot choice".

Not sure about that part , I mean Slav had managed overseas and Croatia, but no PL history..So in a way he was a risk, and gave us our best season for many years.

I made it perfectly clear I never wanted Moyes, and deep down I probably still don't, BUT he has done what was required, TWICE, so fair play to him.

He now deserves a fair shot at it IMO, I very much hope he can do well, even if he isn't my " cup of tea ".

• edited July 2020
    For what it's worth, at the time I thought that Moyes should not have been let go after his first stint.

The appointment of Pelle was for me a wrong one, the main reason being that his going to manage in China should have been taken as a warning that he had, for all intents and purposes, settled for retirement.
    Maybe he thought that Sully's offer would give him the opportunity to show that he still had the ability, in which case it was a vanity project.

His playing style did not suit the squad that he had to work with and the high profile expensive players he bought for that style are now the ones that many on here want out.
    I wonder what Moyes would have done with the £80m that Pelle used on Haller and Anderson. If his purchase of Bowen and Soucek are anything to go by he probably would have used it a little more effectively.

We all talk on here about giving players time to adapt to the EPL, but not many seem to apply that to managers. How many managers past and present in the EPL have hit the ground running and been an instant success in their first season? (Over to you Aslef :) )
  • Moyes has done well
  • Moojor said:

imagelost said:

Moyes make me wanna run

Well if he does that with the team it will be an improvement!
    And to be proven wrong,,
    I love West Ham
  • Moojor said:

imagelost said:

Moyes make me wanna run

Well if he does that with the team it will be an improvement!
    Coyi,s
  • edited July 2020
    I suggested on here recently that I didn't feel we had made any progress under Moyes, But now I think that was harsh.

I've enjoyed how we've played in or revival..

I still get frustrated that too many of our players,when we win back the ball,l turn over possession with wayward passes or hopeful punts, but mostly we are trying to pass and move, and looking quite good when we do. I can't imagine that it is down to luck that Antonio is showing a proper understanding of how to play as a main CF someone must have coached him.
  • It's only recently that we've shown progress, just at the right time, but next season Moyes has to prove it's more than just a run of games when our backs were up against the wall. We've basically done the basics properly and I don't think it's been very much more than that. But maybe the basics are enough.
  • Getting the basics right, in a team that does have some quality, makes all the difference and allows the quality to come to the fore, hence our improved form. You can't show your quality if you keep giving the ball away.