Comments

• RIP

One of our best
  • So sad. RIP
  • Just heard the news.

Terribly sad.
  • edited December 2019
    Grey said:

In a sport where the term legend can be bandied too easily, Martin Peters thoroughly deserved the accolade for West Ham and England.
  • What a player, and team man RIP big fella :bowdown:
  • A fine player and gentleman. RIP
  • Very sad news
    Great player
    RIP
  • Very sad news, one of the games great players, a legend.
    RIP
  • Class act, classy man. Rip
  • RIP , Another legend passes....
  • Very sad news.

I went to primary school with his granddaughter and he used to come into school sometimes to pick her up. It must have been a bit of a chore for him to shake hands with every dad in the playground, but it never stopped him.

RIP
  • :bowdown: WHU and world cup legend never to be forgotten
  • Think Sir Bobby Charlton said one of only two who’s scored in a World Cup Final
  • As a twelve year old kid from East Ham I can vividly remember bursting with pride with what OUR three heroes did that wet afternoon in July at Wembley.
    All three were “One of our own” and the memory of that day will never leave me.
    RIP Martin and thanks for the memories.
  • Slacker, I watched it at home alone in Canning Town as an 18year-old, Mum & Dad and little brother were at Walton on Naze (I think). Really irritating that I didn't have anyone to celebrate the moment with. :biggrin:
  • Bubbles,on the morning of the final our old telly finally gave up the ghost and packed up.Me and my dad looked at each other opened mouth for a few seconds ’til we both rushed next door And asked if we could watch it on theirs.”Yeah, no problem we’re going shopping anyway.”SHOPPING!-they weren’t football fans.
    So the old man and me spent the afternoon bouncing around next door’s front room.
    Great memories.
  • Only Englishman to captain a World Cup winning side and only English West Ham players have ever scored in a World Cup final...

After 50 plus years (and I am totally not knocking the scale of that bragging) it'd be nice if we had something else to brag about :weep:
  • My favourite footballer. Skilful, intelligent, and a great role model. RIP Martin Peters, you will not be forgotten