January transfer window 2019/20 season

Comments

• Personally, I don’t understand why players are ever cup tied. Surely if they have moved club their allegiances have changed and they want their new club to win, so what does it matter? The logic that they can’t play for two teams in the same competition in the year is nonsense when there is a January transfer window, and it’s fine in the league, IMO.
  • Speculation surrounding 29-year-old Welsh midfielder Joe Allen's future at Stoke is expected to intensify as the January window approaches. Says the gossip column... We could do worse in that area.
  • I like Joe Allen. He doesn’t bring what we are most lacking, pace, but he does add depth to midfield and stops Sanchez playing... :hmm:
  • I don’t believe it is cut and dried. Red bull actually played Liverpool just a month and a half ago and if he was already being sounded out about a move to Liverpool (which I believe is perfectly likely) there has to be scope for conflict of interests. Maybe not always, but sometimes.
  • He can hold and get forward if needed. If you want pace as well then we'll have to fork out a lot more.
  • Move on Roberto get in Butland. Then maybe a loan midfielder / striker to come in ? otherwise can't see much business happening.
  • Stoke will ask a fortune for Butland (IMO)
  • What's Butland's contract situation like ?
  • edited December 2019
    If the supposed kitty for last summer was £40m net of sales, and the situation remains tight in terms of funds, personally I fail to see what has changed between then and now to lead us to believe we can get decent quality/depth in the three positions of need for us (gk, Cm, striker). The only thing that happened since the PL transfer window closed was that Chica was sold.

If, say for Cm we can’t sign someone who can genuinely challenge the likes of noble, why sign anyone at all? May as well stick with sanchez and wait till the summer. We shouldn’t just throw money at further dross
  • edited December 2019
    I’m still holding out hope for Badou N’Diaye from Stoke (have been for a while). Not sure how he’s been playing recently though!
  • Hes set to go on loan with option to buy (when they got him I thought he was going to be another Prem powerful MF box to box merchant)
  • So we are looking for 3 players from Stoke who were relegated last season and near the foot of the Championship this season. Next level?
  • next level to sanchez.. Allen was one of the squad but hes been a decent player for years (IMO)
  • Evra was a decent player for years. Nasri was a decent player for years. Etc etc?
  • edited December 2019
    Stoke need to reduce their £50m wages bill to comply with the EFL's new profitability & sustainability rules so they're looking to offload the big earners with N’Diaye, Butland and Allen at the top of the list

What's Butland's contract situation like ?

He's got another season and a half to go.
    Adam said:

I’m still holding out hope for Badou N’Diaye from Stoke (have been for a while). Not sure how he’s been playing recently though!

Rumoured to be going to Trabzonspor on loan
  • It really is quite a tragic situation if you think about it.
  • What is Ham, what is?
  • edited December 2019
    I don't think Butland isn't going to cost a load if they need to offload him. Its probably why a loan to the end of the season was being talked about.

Ticks the boxes for me, backup keeper, English quota, previous PL experience. I still think there is a decent keeper in there.
  • edited December 2019
    Wales online say we're looking at Joe Allen along with Wolves, Burnley and Newcastle.

Stoke wanted £18m in the summer but C&H reckon that he's been moved to the reduced section at £10m-12m.
  • edited December 2019

What is Ham, what is?

We are in a situation years after moving out of our home in the hope of the next level football but now talking about what Stoke players we can nab to save our season. This isn't even the half decent stoke from a few years back either.
  • edited December 2019
    I am not sure why a goalkeeper is even being mentioned. While Roberto went down as well as a Bacon sandwich in a orthodox synagogue, ( BTW , I am Jewish,and not a religious one, love a bit of piggy!! , so no religious meaning here )...Martin who certainly won't be a long term plan, is adequate enough IMO to step in if Fab sadly got injured again, I mean he's due back in next game or so... I 'd personally be looking at other positions as a priority IMO.
    Like as an example CDM, and if that means Muppet Sanchez never plays again for us.. :wahoo:
  • Bazshuayi said:

He can hold and get forward if needed. If you want pace as well then we'll have to fork out a lot more.

Not pace but mobility. Obiang speed is fine imo. Rice isn't as slow as he looks but he also rarely gets his legs really going. He's classy but not always great for upping tempo.
  • Ham. I don't think it's likely we will buy any Stoke players, but it would be good if we could get Butland as a back up to Fabianski.
  • Wait till the summer IMO for a decent backup keeper, ageing, but still IMO worth it as a backup & hopefully unlikely to play too often, step forward Ben Foster.
  • I would not expect Butland or Fab to want to be “back-up” to each other. I’d rather the funds were used for CDM too.
  • edited December 2019

Ham. I don't think it's likely we will buy any Stoke players, but it would be good if we could get Butland as a back up to Fabianski.

Butland is good but like the others I'd rather see funds spent on other positions. Especially as it seems we have weathered the period without Fab to some extent.
  • Yeh, you kind of wonder why we are so desperate for a keeper now. Our back up only needs to be ok which Martin certainly is. I can’t believe Pelle took so long to act on Roberto. I was pretty worried by him in the games he played in pre-season back in August!

By all means if Butland is available, wants to come and for a decent price we should consider it, but otherwise use whatever funds we might have elsewhere
  • we've got no funds for Jan at best we are looking at loans...
  • we've got no funds for Jan at best we are looking at loans...

Who said that ? Harry
  • Is Edgar David’s still playing?
This discussion has been closed.