West Ham’s next boss

Comments

• alderz said:

In that article they called Lanzini "Mario" :lol:
    Even more perplexing, they referred to him as our playmaker and, intimated that his being out injured might somehow make our problems worse.... :hmm:

:whistle:
  • Writehorse,But we cant do anything about our goalkeeper crisis,,,,,,,,but we can about our manger. :whistle:
  • alderz said:

In that article they called Lanzini "Mario" :lol:
    Even more perplexing, they referred to him as our playmaker and, intimated that his being out injured might somehow make our problems worse.... :hmm:

:whistle:
    Shade
  • Eddie Howe still my choice and was before Pellers to.

But I don't see the point in sacking Pellegrini. The players are as much to blame as is the manager.
  • There a plenty of instances of players performances changing as a result of a managerial change though. Doing nothing at all and hoping Pelle somehow finds a solution is a risky strategy. He doesn’t come across as someone who knows what he plans to do to rectify the wrongs. Compared to someone like Dyche who always seems focussed and in control even in the not so good times. Also you cannot of course just change all the players
  • I think it could be a massive over reaction which does not mean I don't feel Pelle is in part responsible for the crushing downturn, but I don't necessarily feel we can do better at present.

If I asked the question if we had four more points and sat in seventh now would anyone be calling for a new manager? During our recent run it would not have been too much to feel we could have beat the blunts and Palace? which would have been five points. So the question I would ask is did we not pick up those extra points because of Pelle or Roberto? In my view it's Roberto as he has gifted goals with schoolboy standard keeping.

So in my view its injuries to key players in FabIanski and Antonio which are responsible. There is no doubt that Pelle should take some responsibility as he bought Roberto and he spent on more midfielders when it should have been clear we were short on firepower, but nevertheless had these massively key injuries not have occurred I feel we would have been playing decent football and be sitting around 8th and not unhappy.

Fabianski is probably the most irreplaceable member of the squad with likely only Rice as competition for that accolade, and although Antonio shouldn't be that irreplaceable he is due to lack of attacking options. Pelles blame is in his squad structuring in my view and he can address that in the transfer window hopefully, I don't think he is a bad manager so whilst I would be happy for him to go should a real hot property arrive on the scene like Eddie Howe I am not in favour of just getting another face in because the buck stops on a downturn with the manager, I think we need show more patience than that. In my view if we believe with Fab in goal we picked up those four points and sat in 8thand we would be happy then it's hard to call for Pelle's head.

Roberto is an absolute calamity of a keeper and should be no where near the premiership.
  • Colin is now available!!

:sofa:

That’s given me a proper laugh 😂
  • :nonono:
  • on :hmm: the other hand
  • But then after a few seconds thinking about it :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:
  • Sorry c&b

I can’t say I resonate with much of that. The manager and his transfer sidekick have allowed us to be desperately exposed in the event of just one injury In a position. We lose our keeper and we are stuffed. We lose our c/f and we are equally stuffed - they sold the rest of them after all. All of these choices are theirs. Obiang, Edmilson gone too so an injury to either of noble or rice and we have a big problem. And to top it off, when this does happen, there is no desire to back fill via the (in-form) u23 squad. Even Ole is fielding some unheard of youngsters when the need arises. I’m sorry but from the point of view of Pelle and West Ham, it is very very far from being good enough

And the stat which shows that fab made the most saves in the league last season and him and Roberto the most this season is also telling and points to the fact there are significant shortfalls elsewhere.

So (for me anyway) it isn’t about what would have been had we had four extra points. You could equally say we didn’t deserve our point at Brighton or possibly at villa based on our showing in both of these games.
  • And to top it off still to this day not a word on why Ogbonna and Arthur are not playing (in the case of the latter why he is not even in the match day squad)

To me there is something deeply wrong and we do not appear to be privy to all the facts.

• To me there is something deeply wrong and we do not appear to be privy to all the facts.

Love this comment! How to illustrate that knowing there are known unknowns doesn't stop anyone forming an opinion.
  • Well the point being that both of them are not playing with no explanation offered. So something is amiss and I doubt the reason (whatever it may be) is a positive one!
  • Dmitri Halajko has done well with U23s and they seem to play with style and grit. Why not promote someone from within as that person knows something about the players and the Club.
  • When Claude Puel took over at St Etienne on October 4 they were second bottom, they are now 3rd. Southampton & Leicester fans may have not liked his style of football but he does know have to get positive results.
  • edited November 2019

There a plenty of instances of players performances changing as a result of a managerial change though.

Well, to an extent, but the stats show that the 'bounce' typically fails to result in sustained improvements in performance, and that, in fact, over time, the team will experience an upsurge in performance even if you retain the manager.

I posted these links the other day:

This Sky article has an interesting take:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/11128604/does-sacking-a-premier-league-manager-improve-results

which comes to a similar conclusion as this one:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sacking-managers-pointless-stats-slaven-bilic-west-ham-premier-league-a8044586.html
  • http://whu606.com/discussion/comment/939114/#Comment_939114

Grey, any chance you could make a "rock throwing" reaction to this. :biggrin:
  • When we sacked Pards, Curbs took 4 points from his first two games, then 2 from the next 10.
  • Too be fair, Curbs was possibly the worst manager I have witnessed in 50 years. So glad the Johnny Spencer in to protect a 1-1 draw days are long gone.
  • You all have a lot to say

Not what I expected

Constructive is the way ahead

COYI
  • No one is bigger then :scarf:

It’s fate I tell you, it’s fate. The stars are lining up.

• edited November 2019

Eddie Howe still my choice and was before Pellers to.

Howe isn't going to leave Bournemouth unless its for Man U, Liverpool, etc. and even then he'll probably get homesick after a season
    Pengeman said:

Dmitri Halajko has done well with U23s and they seem to play with style and grit. Why not promote someone from within as that person knows something about the players and the Club.

He joined the club in June so his knowledge of the senior players will be minimal

Too be fair, Curbs was possibly the worst manager I have witnessed in 50 years.

Were you living in a cave with no contact from the outside world from 14 August 2010 until 15 May 2011?

So glad the Johnny Spencer in to protect a 1-1 draw days are long gone.

Johnny Spencer? Chelsea striker who got a few stitches in his head from Julian's studs? Or did you mean Jonathan Spector?
  • One thing for sure, it's not going to get any easier for Pelegrine in the next few games. (spurs, Chelsea,wolves,arsenal). This might decide his fate.
    I was quite happy when he joined, but his demeanour is quite uninspiring to me. I don't think the players are responding to him, imo
    I also was proud of our history of number of managers we had, and still rue the day we sacked John Lyall.
    I still think he deserves a bit more time, to sort things.
    He has 2 weeks to work with squad to get confidence back, to be more solid at the back. Get the team/crowd smiling again.
    COYI
  • The homesick argument for Howe is zzzzzz and I think if Gold and Sullivan gave him a proper budget and with how much they are paying Pellegrini I think West Ham could attract him. I don't think Howe is anywhere near a Liverpool or Man U step up.
  • According to ex the daves did try and get Rodgers but he rejected us. He doesn’t reveal why though? Was he offered the same high wage that Pelle is now on for example?
  • edited November 2019
    I was joking about homesickness but seriously why would Howe want to leave Bournemouth for West Ham? They've finished above us two seasons out of the four they've been in the Premier League.

Since promotion their net spending (transfers in minus transfers out) is actually about £25m more than ours and S&G have hardly been stingy with the cash in the last few seasons.

At Bournemouth he's virtually guaranteed a job for life, even if they did get relegated I doubt if he'd be in any danger of getting sacked.

What do we have to offer him that's better than what he's already got?
  • edited November 2019
    Pie and mash shops? :whistle:
This discussion has been closed.