Home to the blunts, Saturday 29th October, 15:00

Comments

• edited October 2019
    2 points from those last four fixtures is a pretty dreadful amount imo
  • edited October 2019
    No wins in 5 including that shocking cup game, oh dear Pelle....but we got a point :wahoo: ..so who can defend Pelle now, why?....He is NOT improving us...sideways at best....& yeh Haller might be isolated, he could get more involved tho, or perhaps Pelle and his tactics are being found out...POOR ALL ROUND IMO
  • Ah, well. I think I'm getting more frustrated at the team than usual because my expectations were higher this season.

Seems like it will be another season of aiming for 8th-12th. Maybe if I make peace with that it will be easier to watch.
  • Very disappointing. Toothless up front, pathetic in defence. We had our chances to kill off this game.
  • Its a worry as the boss doesn't know his best team and can't seem to get the players going.
  • 10 games. Haven't progressed from last year. Expected more from both players and manager, haven't seen anything to suggest we are going to compete for Europe and judging from our cup runs we're not going anywhere there either.
  • Jorderz I think anywhere near 8th is optimistic. 10th to 15th is about our limit and our ambition to win games, or lack of, seems to show that.
  • Jorderz, IMO u are aiming too high... I believe we are in for a long/not great season, so hope I'm wrong though.
  • Thorn / jay,

I think it would be a stretch to say we aren't at least AIMING for 8th-12th. I didn't say we'd get there.

But if Pelle and the players are aiming for lower than that then I'd be staggered.
  • edited October 2019
    IMO we will finish lower than last season, too many lightweights & a manager that IMO is not a right fit, we scored against the break & while we might have had a few chances in the 2nd half, we are toothless, I am not enjoying watching us at the moment, we have players that SHOULD but DON'T...why??...12-15th place come end of season & :wave: to Pelle...Jorderz, I thought we were aiming for 6th place!!!....what a joke.NOT
  • What drivel will they come out with again this week. Likely it will be the usual “we will work hard during the week and go again next week” followed by during the week “we’ve been working hard all week and know we need to be right up for it and go at it from the start”.
    Come 3pm Saturday and we will soon all be bemoaning the same lack of intensity and pedestrian play.
    Only positive from today is that Roberto only let in one.
  • I’m sorry but Pelle is not progressing us. He has had more than enough time and more than enough money. Not even close to being good enough
  • Jord I didn’t say we were aiming for that but just that our seemingly lack of ambition to win games suggests that’s the best we can hope for.
    Compare our performances with those of Leicester and it looks like we are playing a different game altogether.
    We score one and look like we’re thinking “I hope that’s enough”.
  • I expected us to lose before the game so we've surpassed my expectations.

The thing is we are good in possession but there's a lack of movement going forwards and our passing is far too slow. We looked far better with Anderson on than when Lanzini took his place. Sheffield United are one of those teams though that defend very well and frustrate you. I'm sure if you were to go on the Arsenal, Chelsea or Bournemouth forums when Sheffield played them you'll also see their fans echoing similar points to us.
  • Why did Anderson come off?
  • MIA said
    "Our forward play is generally so slow and ponderous it’s easy for their defence to get behind the ball. Our only goal came from a fast break. There has been way too little of that from us." This.
    :ok:

This 4-1-4-1 formation doesn't work. Haller up front on his own is just like watching AC (albeit a fit one).
    I think MP's ability is going to be seriously questioned, especially given how much he's been backed with transfers.
  • edited October 2019
    Also it's hindsight but I don't think Snodgrass should've come off. He almost scored his second and contributed loads outside of the goal he scored. Up until that point, him Anderson and Yarmo were our best attacking players. 2 of them were brought off and Ajeti and Lanzini were ineffective. Imo we'd have been far more dangerous with Fredericks coming on for Zab to stretch them and overlap Yarmo with a bit of pace.

I see people are questioning Pellegrini's formation choice. Imo it's not the right formation but it's the best with the players we have available. Yarmo was supporting Haller well. The only other option would be to play Ajeti alongside Haller but id rather Yarmo as he looks far better quality and can also drop out wide too.
  • Hamstew said:

Why did Anderson come off?

I don’t know. Very confusing. He was playing well, and he’s also so much more dangerous later in games where there’s space to break into.

Odd.
  • edited October 2019
    2ND week in a row he's hauled Anderson off, don't understand our managers thoughts...Lat week Fornals was so useless & IMO Anderson had looked some kind of threat, seems a bit personal to me...Not sure how long people can defend Pelle, I will support the team and the manager always, but Pelle is not inspiring me or it seems the team at the moment.
  • Anderson was awful last week. Today he wasn’t and did some good things. But he also messed up two counter attacks with seriously underhit passes - which is very much unlike him - and missed a good chance that was salvaged from one of those attacks.
  • I’m sorry but Pelle is not progressing us. He has had more than enough time and more than enough money. Not even close to being good enough

16 months is “more than enough time”?
  • edited October 2019
    Outcast, did the players who come on do any better, NO...Last week Fornals was truly hopeless, but he stayed on..Felipe might not be in his best form, that's pretty obvious, but he's still is more of a threat than the rest IMO.
  • edited October 2019
    We could have very easily won both our last two home games, just as much as we could easily have 0 points. We should have had at least 2, we have 1.

That is the sort of side we are. We are a seesaw team. Pretty much every win could have gone the other way, same as most of our losses. Very rarely do we win or lose convincingly.

I don’t think today’s game was a poor result. It is poor in the context of the last two results. Had we taken 4 points from Palace/Everton, I am almost certain most would be content with a draw from this game given how SU have started the season.

We are a work in progress & will be for another few months.

The biggest worry is that neatly 18 months into his tenure, Pelle doesn’t know his best 11. He needs to sort that ASAP.
  • alderz said:

I’m sorry but Pelle is not progressing us. He has had more than enough time and more than enough money. Not even close to being good enough

16 months is “more than enough time”?
    Alderz, he has more to spend than our last manager's, deecnt time, 16 months in football these days is enough to work it out, Pelle sadly does not seem to have..IMO we have not progressed from last season despite spending a fair few million on players Pelle wanted, let's see where we are at the end of the season. We might be in the top 10 at present, but our performances IMO do not warrant it, that's surely dissapointing for all.
  • Yet again we end up with 4 central midfielders on the pitch in the second half. When the other team start to tire, we decide 4 slow central midfielders is the way to go. It’s ridiculous. Not to mention Haller and Yarmolenko aren’t exactly quick either.
  • Husillos is the buyer of goods.

If the spending is not up to standard, then he is the one who needs questioning. Pelle has said on more than one occasion he works with the players Husillos signs.
  • edited October 2019
    Luke that might be a bit of truth, but the way you word it sounds like Pelle doesn't have any say, that I refuse to believe, aren't they old friends...Like didn't Pelle work with our keeper Roberto before?!....
  • Husillos signs who Pelle tells him to sign.
  • Husillos signs who Pelle tells him to sign.

I don’t believe that.

If that were the case there is no point having Husillos salary on the books. Pelle may as well instruct Sullivan.

Husillos does the scouting, shortlisting, negotiating & buying. Pelle will no doubt have a say but Husillos is solely here to sort that side of the club out.
This discussion has been closed.