Everton v West Ham, 12:30pm Saturday 19th October 2019

Comments

• ASLEF fair enough, but compare the teams results when we played them last season and how are we doing? any improvement?........Sorry & I will stand by my opinion, Pelle might be experienced & won the league, but IMO he is not the right manager for us.

This season and last season

Man City (H) L 0-5 L 0-4 - the same
    Brighton (A) D 1-1 L 0-1 - better
    Watford (A) W 3-1 W 4-1 - the same
    Man U (H) W 2-0 W 3-1 - the same
    Bournemouth (A) D 2-2 L 2-0 better
    Palace (H) L 1-2 W 3-2 - worse
    Everton (A) L 0-2 W 3-1 - worse

Obviously we didn't play Norwich and Villa last season but if we compare our results against the teams that were promoted last season as champions, Wolves, and through the play offs, Fulham, then...

Norwich (H) W 2-0 Wolves (H) L 0-1 - better
    Villa (A) D 0-0 Fulham (A) W 2-0 - worse

I'm not prepared to write Pellegrini off after one season and nine games, I think its too early to say whether he's going to be any good for us.
  • Jorderz mentioned “appetite”

Well our manager’s last assignment was in China.

I’m sorry, but any player or manager who has previously competed at the highest level goes there for one reason and one reason alone - and it isn’t the appetite for the game IMO

So it doesn’t surprise me therefore that we now see a lack of intensity in many of our games.

Don’t get me wrong his ability to instil a good way of playing in his sides is there to see - notably the passing is very easy on the eye. But arguably do we create lots of chances as a result of it? Not so IMO

it’s not enough to just have core ethos and way of playing which involves good passing and decent movement

Contrast that to Rodgers - many do like to mock him (myself included), but every time he speaks he exudes passion and intensity about the football he is presiding over.

I’m not calling for a change but I do think that this season and next will see us meandering around the middle of the league, and discovering new ways of being humiliated in the cups.
  • Today's game was hard to watch. Not a lot to be happy about.

Everton could have won 4-0 and it wouldn't have flattered them.
  • I think Pellegrini’s tried to make us play with more control. So less charging around and operating in bursts, more intricate plays that might not expose our defence. Except when it’s not working, it looks like we’ve got no control at all and just seem lost.

I think Fornals should’ve come off but maybe he was worried about shattering his confidence. I though Anderson was almost as bad. Though he was getting into positions, he was losing the ball every time.

I thought Diop was really good. Haller did fine with whatever sniff he had. Rice looked ill, frankly. The rest were rubbish.

I think we’re going to have to somehow keep the ball away from Roberto’s goal because I don’t really trust him at all.
  • edited October 2019

The strolling around and getting caught in possession constantly drives me mad. All that comes from the management IMO

Whilst I am not entirely disagreeing (as motivation should also come from the management), individually the players shouldnt need to be motivated. I've personally never played a match where I didnt try hard.

I'm a qualified coach. When I have taken sessions in the past, I've always tried to focus on the awareness/time saving and mental side of things (on the premise that all kids can practice their skills/control at any time).

Part of that is awareness of team mates (prior to the ball potentially coming), not being flat footed plus having at least an idea of options in advance when receiving the ball.

I realize that in modern high press days players have less time to think/act. However, with their supposed skill set, bearing those simple things in mind wouldve perhaps stopped so many stray passes and turnovers.

Maybe some players are in a comfort zone (highly paid, privileged etc.) but, for me, surely that Prem/1st team status can easily slip away. One of the reasons for that shouldnt be a lack of effort. They're all so fit and aware of how many people support their every pass and shot. We can all have an off day, but as has already been mentioned here, how many times have we heard the same excuses and promises to make up for it in the next game. You shouldnt need periodic reminders that poor effort/performance will be made up for. As soon as you're out on that pitch you try your damnedest to be first to the ball etc etc.

The least any teams supporters should expect is for their players to leave it all out on the pitch whether they win or lose. I personally dont have the mentality to accept a lack of effort/smarts that lead to sloppy play and pressure on the team when we cant retain and threaten
  • One report used the word 'woeful'. Think that's accurate. Now a few things I've learned (and Pelle seems to have missed) from following West Ham this season:
    1. Lanzini is not a winger; 2. Fornals needs to go out on loan, he's no use to us this season; 3. Roberto does not inspire confidence in the defence; 4. The most under-used player this season has been Snodgrass, who CAN play on the wing or add bite in the centre; 5. Lanzini and Wilshere should never be on the pitch at the same time; 6. the team can and has played some lovely football this year, but some games you need to put fight first - it's no use floating like a butterfly if you sting like a butterfly, you gotta sting like a bee. :scarf:
  • Yesterday was another Hammer Horror show, we have witnessed a few too many in last season and this..
    The thing that gets me, lots of people forgive Pelle because he has got us to play some nice attractive football, something we have been craving for years.....Not sure I agree, I feel lots of people forget Slav's 1st season where we played top teams and beat them playing some lovely/better football ,IMO our performances that season have outweighed anything that Pelle has achieved, & he's worked with a bigger budget & so called better players. I think we can all agree from my memory that if VAR had been around that season with Slav, the top 4 would have been achieved.

I and others just crave for consistency, and yet again so far this season we are failing in that category with ease. Pelle IMO gets away with loads of slack that he should get, not sure why TBH, he gets paid more than any of his predecessors and has had a much bigger budget to achieve better things with, so far his grade for 1st season & 1/4 of this is a C, and that for me is unnaceptable, even if we put in 3 or 4 good performances out of 10, then his grade would actually be a D,
    For me he does not manage to inspire & get the most out of players abilities, all IMO of course......Rant over for now!
  • edited October 2019
    To be honest I think it is time to revert to the default of Snodgrass in midfield.

Rice, Noble, Snodgrass; Yarmo & one of Lanzini/Anderson supporting Haller.

We don’t have enough in that midfield area with all those luxury players offering nothing except Yarmo.

At the moment Anderson & Lanzini are not justifying being in the side.
  • We are going to struggle because the only player we have signed is Haller. Fornals has not settled. We are still trying to play a system that, simply, we can’t execute. Noble & Rice will always need more help against the better sides, when they are put under pressure on the ball & expected to do lots of defensive work too.

6 points from the next two will make things look a lot better. But we need to up our game significantly as we won’t beat Sheffield & Newcastle with a performance like that.
  • If we don’t beat the Blunts I might have to be locked in a secure room.
  • I think it takes our foreign players a lot of time to adjust to the pace and intensity of the PL because we ourselves don’t do it. We play at such a gentle stroll that we can’t handle any pressure.
  • I think it takes our foreign players a lot of time to adjust to the pace and intensity of the PL because we ourselves don’t do it. We play at such a gentle stroll that we can’t handle any pressure.

That's a good point.

BT showed an interview with Noble before the game and he said that training under Pellegrini is the most intense he's ever experienced. If that's true, why aren't we pressing hard and playing with pace and urgency? Either training is like that but come match day the players have a collective mind fart and forget all of it, or he's not being entirely honest.
  • He’s the club captain so there will be a fair amount PR attached to anything he says.

I personally pay little heed to interviews such as this because come match day (which is what ultimately matters) there have been numerous occasions in recent seasons where there team look like they barely know each other let alone have “trained intensively”
  • Need to give Fornals some slack. He is one for next season minimum.

Which means (as Luke) has said, we have essentially signed one player for this season (and let go of all our other forwards to boot) plus Obiang

Other than that, we have gone to Poundland to find our back up keepers upon Adrian’s departure.
  • I went yesterday and can say a good day out spoilt by watching West Ham a limp display we just did not turn up can’t think of anything positive roberto was ok that’s about it
  • Letting go of Diangana has been a mistake....without Antonio we lack pace

I would like to see Holland start

Neither Fornals or Lanzini are wingers, and Anderson is in awful form, so why not give him a chance

Also we are paying for not bringing in midfield reinforcements
  • I've been thinking about this match (as it's really wound me up). Some points if we want to turn our recent poor performances around:

1. Our full backs pushing forwards are key. We didn't seem to do this against Everton. All of our player (yes ALL of them... Haller, Fornals, Lanzini, Anderson, Rice, Noble) would rather play the balls as opposed to make the runs behind. The problem is if your whole team want to play in front of the opposition and play in the balls behind then there is literally NO ONE who's actually going to make these runs in behind. This results in us pointlessly passing the ball as there's no one offering a threatening option in behind.

We know we lack pace in our side, and more so a player who dribbled at the opposition. This is something Masuaku and Fredericks can do. Our wingers need to draw their player in, wait, and then feed in our full backs as they overlap. When we don't do this, we simply don't look like we know how to attack. This is why our passes became sloppy as we either try unnecessary flicks or a hopefull sloppy Hollywood pass. Earlier in the season, our full backs were overlapping and we looked a completely different side. It creates a new dimension to our attack.

However, utilising our full backs requires on the likes of Rice being 100% fit (which he didn't seem to be against Everton). We rely on Rice to 'sit in' and cover the full backs in case of an opposition counter. If he's not fully at it, we'll get torn apart on the break and look 'toothless' in midfield. Noble is our only other deeper playing midfielder and he doesn't have the legs to do this job (although does bring in other qualities).

2. I think we need to utilise Snodgrass. He's got the work rate and tenacity that we're lacking in the middle. In addition, he's comfortable out wide and is more dangerous from set pieces than Lanzini or Anderson. Haller will thrive off Snodgrass a lot more than the uninventful lack of creativity from our so called 'attacking midfielders' in Lanzini, Fornals & Anderson.

Yes of course we can ask Lanzini, Fornals and Anderson to do more defensive work but we also need to play to their strengths. We wouldn't ask Rice to do more attacking work so why ask our attackers to do more defensive work?

I think at the moment we have too many players playing in the same role (attacking midfielder). We wouldn't play 3 defensive midfielders so why play 3 attacking ones?

I think instead, we need a change to our formation. Play 2 of these attacking midfielders. Ie drop one of them. My pick would be Lanzini to be dropped and bring in Snodgrass.

3. I think Fornals needs to have a more defined playing position. Although he's not set the world on fire yet, I don't think he's done any worse than Lanzini or Anderson. And even though nothing's come off for Fornals, at least he's running around and working hard.

However I think rather than him charging round, we should be a bit clever how we use him. He seems a team player and thrives playing close to others with a focus on his passing. He seems a million miles from our team mates which understandably makes him look a bit clueless in possession.

Imo he needs to play either almost as a second striker directly off of Haller, or in a deeper role sitting in closer to Rice/Noble. I'd aim for the former though (closer to Haller) as otherwise we still have the same issue of our team sitting in trying to play these passes and no one making the runs behind.

Out of our 3 attacking midfielders, he seems the most comfortable making runs over the top and from what I saw from him in the Spainish youth games, he's got a decent shot on him too. I think he'd be versatile enough to get behind Haller as well as playing him in. They could make quite a nice duo (Haller is also comfortable being the unselfish provider as well as the finisher).

At one point in this game, Noble floated a long ball over the top of the Everton defence which Fornals managed to just about run onto and get a (weak) header at Pickford. This is the sort of thing I think he could do more of.

4. I think we should seriously consider recalling Diangana back from his loan. He offers a different dynamic to our current attacking players. Something only Antonio can do. I'd also think Diangana would come back improved from his short loan spell away.

5. People have mentioned for a while now that we need a big, strong, athletic midfielder who would offer some steal in our defence. Whilst I do agree to an extent with this, I think it's more about the effect the player has on the whole dynamic of the team. For example, Noble can have an effect on the whole team that spurs them on, makes us battle a lot more and push ourselves over the line for that win. I was watching the Aston Villa game and Grealish does the exact same thing. He's not this big, strong defensive midfielder that a lot of us would like however he was strong in the tackle, didn't let anything past him, brought some bite to their midfield, and drove forward in a manner that spurred the rest of their team on.
  • The club have made some questionable choices over the summer - it let go of all of all its forwards, leaving Antonio who the club know (or ought to know) is injured prone. And Yarmo coming back after a serious injury. Then to top it off, sending Grady away too!
  • "Noble can have an effect on the whole team that spurs them on, makes us battle a lot more and push ourselves over the line for that win."

When did he last do that? Nobes plays well when the team are playing well but has little or no influence on the game, like yesterday, when the team aren't playing well.
  • IronHerb said:

"Noble can have an effect on the whole team that spurs them on, makes us battle a lot more and push ourselves over the line for that win."

When did he last do that? Nobes plays well when the team are playing well but has little or no influence on the game, like yesterday, when the team aren't playing well.

Admittedly, he's not been like that for the last few games but it's pretty clear the effect he has on the team compared to when he's not playing.

He plays well when the rest of the team is playing well BECAUSE he helps facilitate the rest of the team to play well.
  • On the way to the pub I just had to meet Twinny the Toffee, great big grin on his visog, even his Jack Russell Dixie looked smug!
  • Anderson was really bad yesterday and hasn’t been great overall but he’s been better than the other attackers, bar Yarmolenko in the few games he’s played so far.

This stat is about the players who are involved in passages of play that lead to a chance (it’s supposed to be an alternative to looking at assists.) Anderson is not only our most involved player but one of the top in the league this season.

• IronHerb said:

"Noble can have an effect on the whole team that spurs them on, makes us battle a lot more and push ourselves over the line for that win."

Admittedly, he's not been like that for the last few games but it's pretty clear the effect he has on the team compared to when he's not playing.

He plays well when the rest of the team is playing well BECAUSE he helps facilitate the rest of the team to play well.
    So what happened yesterday? This is my bugbear concerning Nobes.
  • A bad day at the office, move on
  • IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

So what happened yesterday? This is my bugbear concerning Nobes.
    He was no where to be seen yesterday. I think Rice is so much the focal point to our team that if he's having an off day, then we only have 1
    'defensive' minded midfielder. Any team will struggle not to be overran in that situation but even more so when that player is Noble. He does bring a lot to the table but we all know he's not the quickest or biggest... which is why we really need Rice to help out.

But to answer your question in short, Noble had a poor game yesterday as did most of our team. He wasn't his usual self giving out orders and pushing our team on. As I say, the last few games he and the rest of our team hasn't looked great but on the whole he does seem to inspire and motivate our team for a better overall performance/result.
  • Cuz1 said:

A bad day at the office, move on

Problem being we rarely do.
  • Coincidence or not? Beard is moaning today about the performance of the women against Spurs and it appears that they also show a lack of intensity etc. Club culture?
  • edited October 2019

Cuz1 said:

A bad day at the office, move on

Problem being we rarely do.
    I hope so , let’s move on
  • Thanks to al. All
    :bubbles:
This discussion has been closed.