Everton v West Ham, 12:30pm Saturday 19th October 2019

Comments

• "Everton gave more than 100 per cent. I think that we are able to play better. Maybe when you're in Everton's situation you have more energy."
    - Manuel Pellegrini

That's a poor comment IMO. Not a good excuse for lacking energy.

That's rich! What has been the excuse for all the other times we have shown a complete lack of urgency or desire!

• I'm over it already. When there's no real expectation of anything, then there's not too much to surprise (unless something good happens but there's never any holding of breath that'll happen).

Let me know when its not too soon to mention the 'L' word :wink:
  • "Everton gave more than 100 per cent. I think that we are able to play better. Maybe when you're in Everton's situation you have more energy."
    - Manuel Pellegrini

That's a poor comment IMO. Not a good excuse for lacking energy.

Terrible comment. So we can't find the necessary energy to get 3rd place? Do we need to be bottom three and the manager's job at risk to put in a shift?

Awful from an experienced manager, IMO.
  • edited October 2019
    Unless Anderson had taken a knock I still cannot work out why our manager decided to sub him, IMO he was the only player who looked like doing something to create a chance.....Oh well, it's life & as a lifelong fan you get used to the disappointment ,same story different manager, iMHO he will be gone end of season.
  • 3 birthdays running now , they have given me a loss but it's the performance that really disappoints :angry: :cake:
  • edited October 2019
    We were awful today and second best in every aspect of what makes up a football match. Everton however deserve some credit for making us look even worse. They were up against it today and really needed a performance, whatever the manager used to get them up for this one worked as they were relentless today in their hunger for the ball, never stopped fighting and but for a poor finish and poor refs decision should have won at least 4-0.
  • Thoughts from me, and my brain:

1. Rice didn’t seem right. Maybe he was still ill? We need a viable alternative because he can’t do it all alone
    2. I don’t care what anyone says, Cresswell is a better option that Arthur at LB
    3. I don’t think a full strength side would have beaten Oxford when they play like this, and I still don’t think the manager threw the cup game away, personally
    4. Saw a quote from Pelle before the game saying we are an attacking team and the fans deserve to see us play the way we do. What did we do wrong in past lives? We are not dangerous at all. We are extremely ponderous, and lack invention.
    5. Anderson has been dreadful for a while now and we need that to change very soon
    6. Fornals looks like an enormous waste of money
  • If things aren't working, we need to try a different approach. We don't seem to have a plan B when things aren't going our way. That's why I suggested recalling Diangana as he offers something different (pace, trickery and an ability to beat his man and then get balls into Haller from the by-line).

I would've even taken us going route 1 up to Haller near the end of the match, and then get our attacking support up and around Haller to win the second balls. Haller seemed to be able to beat his man from the rare times he was given 'service' if you can even call it that.

I disagreed with Pelle's substituions today. Imo we desperately needed to take Lanzini off at half time and bring on someone like Snodgrass (perhaps with Yarmolenko for Fornals as well).

We're playing Sheffield United next which is going to be another game where they'll "battle". You can be sure they'll try to out run us and "out battle us". If we don't change anything, a similar result is going to happen against them.

Rice needs some time off. He's not been playing well, looks tired and has been ill too. His role in our team is extremely important as it is, and if he's not 100% sharp and at it, then little old Noble (who I'm a massive fan of) simply doesn't have the legs to cover the load himself. Imo we're stretched as it is in this area anyway and he's such a focal point to our team that we simply can't afford to have him not on his game.
  • edited October 2019

Unless Anderson had taken a knock I still cannot work out why our manager decided to sub him, IMO he was the only player who looked like doing something to create a chance.....Oh well, it's life & as a lifelong fan you get used to the disappointment ,same story different manager, iMHO he will be gone end of season.

After 9 games last season we had 7pts, W2 D1 L6 GD -6
    After 9 games this season we have 12pts, W3 D3 L3 GD -2

The last thing we need is another change of manager, Pellegrini is on a three year deal, I fully expect him to be manager next season.
  • Not worth them spoiling your birthday Brother sledge.....It's just not worth it...Happy Birthday... :champagne:
  • Pelle will be here next season because sully doesn’t fire managers lightly. So when we finish around 9th to 11th, we will basically sleep walk into his final season with no real progress made ImO
  • edited October 2019
    ASLEF fair enough, but compare the teams results when we played them last season and how are we doing? any improvement?........Sorry & I will stand by my opinion, Pelle might be experienced & won the league, but IMO he is not the right manager for us.
  • If the manager appears to have no fire in his belly for the job then how can we expect him to motivate the players. What incentives has he been given by G & S? If we don’t reach any targets if set he won’t get sacked as they don’t fire managers so he can amble along collecting his massive salary knowing he is safe for another season.
  • West Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini: "I am disappointed because I think we had a good performance. The position of Everton showed how much they needed the points. I remember the last game we played here the teams were in a similar position.

"Today they just gave more than we did, they gave more than 100%, we did not. I spoke with the players after the game, they know my thoughts. Goodison Park is always a difficult place to come but I was not completely happy with the performance."
  • That’s from the BBC match report.

“I am disappointed because I think we had a good performance.“
  • I can't defend that performance today and this comment is not intended to do that but surely we must have a bit of perspective. Two games ago we were really enthused and looking forward to the Palace game and hoping break into the top four. The palace result was disappointing but most even neutrals would have said we deserved to win or at least draw, today was in truth our only poor performance of the season and yet we seem to be condemning so much about a team we were really rating only two matches ago.

I am not someone who looks to never criticise and I promise that if the next half a dozen matches are played in the same manner of today my voice will be more than critical but after today all I can think is that Everton put in a real performance and we had our worst match of the season. It should serve as a wake up call, but not a reason for condemnation or even a calling for a new manager.

My biggest regret is that the Fornells money would have looked infinitely better spent on a second striker as I think we lacked the ability to seek a goal today. I think Fornell is decent enough but maybe going to find the Premiership a little physical and fast, we could live without him, but need more attacking threat.
  • alderz said:

That’s from the BBC match report.

“I am disappointed because I think we had a good performance.“

Suggests to me that he's just going through the motions. How can anyone think that was a good performance? You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone with a modicum of understanding of football that would agree.
  • edited October 2019
    I really do hope that was a "lost in translation" moment :hmm:

Thankfully it seems just so, this is pasted from Sky Sports News:

West Ham's Manuel Pellegrini: "I'm disappointed because I think we didn't have a good performance
  • c&bsky, I wasn’t really rating the side two games ago. Fornals is new to the Premier League, He is certainly not the first to struggle and will I hope be better once he is more accustomed to the rigours of English football. Judging him today when no one played well is a little unjust.
  • The strolling around and getting caught in possession constantly drives me mad. All that comes from the management IMO
  • I do think Pelle has made some great fundamental changes to the way we play football. When you think about how we played under Moyes, it’s very different now.

And I think there are lots of examples of other clubs around that show what’s more important than any one manager is an overarching vision from the club of how we want to play, and that feeds into recruitment and the choice of all future managers.

So I have to give Pelle credit for how he’s changed our style of play in a season and a bit, and I certainly don’t want us to change manager until minimum the end of this season, and probably the end of next season when he’s had 3 full seasons.

But right now it’s so disappointing and so frustrating to see the most technically talented (IMO) group of West Ham players in more than 20 years play with such lethargy and such a desperate lack of intensity and urgency.

We never come racing out the blocks. We never come out and from the first few seconds look like we’re smelling blood, which is how it should have been with an Everton side in dismal form. We never seem to want to impose ourselves and control the game.

Instead we just seem to amble about and wait to see what happens, or wait for one passing move to really click, or wait for somebody like Yarmo or Felipe to pull something out of nothing.

We’ve got all the players to be where Leicester are right now, IMO. We just don’t seem to have the appetite.
  • The strolling around and getting caught in possession constantly drives me mad. All that comes from the management IMO

Not to mention almost always giving the ball away from a throw-in. :doh:
    Even the commentators mentioned that we shouldn’t waste time and just throw it to an opposing player.
  • edited October 2019
    About the only positive I can take from today's game is that we don't have to play in Man City's away/third kit
  • That was poor in so many ways, typically we lose 2-0 and yet still managed to cash in a couple of get out of jail free cards, I struggle to see what was wrong with Awobis disallowed goal, if anything Diop was pulling his shirt, and late on Masuaku clearly fouled the defender and yet we were given a corner and nearly scored from it, which would have been an absolute travesty.

Everton were always going to come good someday and obviously it makes perfect sense that it would be against us, watching that game there was no way you would conclude that the team in royal blue was the one in the bottom three.

• c&bsky, I wasn’t really rating the side two games ago. Fornals is new to the Premier League, He is certainly not the first to struggle and will I hope be better once he is more accustomed to the rigours of English football. Judging him today when no one played well is a little unjust.

I wasn't judging Fornal's performance today as was no worse than anyone else's. I actually think he is decent enough, my point was we really need more threat and bite up front and in my view the squad is too midfield heavy and too attack light, the money we spent on him should have been spent on another attacker.
  • About the only positive I can take from today's game is that we don't have to play in Man City's away/third kit

And the spuds didn’t fill their stadium :lol:
  • c&bsky, I agree with the additional striking option(s) lacking and should have been able to do that, Ajeti appears to be one for the future. Are we genuinely interested in getting Barbosa from Inter in January? It comes down to are the owners really able to keep funding the progress we were told would happen when we moved stadiums?
  • Cuz1 said:

About the only positive I can take from today's game is that we don't have to play in Man City's away/third kit

And the spuds didn’t fill their stadium :lol:
    What was attendance?
This discussion has been closed.