West Ham vs Crystal Palace, 17.30, Saturday, 5th Oct

Comments

• Let’s be honest, aside from Man City we’ve had a very kind run of fixtures (and I include Man Utd in that list.
  • We took the lead and then seemed to say that’s enough. We didn’t deserve to win that but I’m sure they will trot out the usual garbage about seeing the positives and keep on working.
  • When Sky put the stat up about our wins after scoring first, did anybody else die a bit inside?Since December 2018 we've scored first in 20 games and haven't lost any of them.

As soon as I saw that I thought it was pretty obvious what was going to happen.
  • I also thought that when the stats showed that Palace have won the most penalties in the last few years and we’ve conceded the most and I don’t think Oliver had awarded one this season the inevitable would happen.
  • Weird game I thought.So flat in the first half, both teams and the crowd almost like a collective “meh”.Better second half but I thought we could and should have done better.No complaints about VAR, we’ve been crying out for it for years and he was at least level.
    Thought Haller was our MOM in a pretty average performance.
    Onwards and upwards.
  • We took the lead and then seemed to say that’s enough. We didn’t deserve to win that but I’m sure they will trot out the usual garbage about seeing the positives and keep on working.

I think they thought the goal would draw Palace out and we'd get them on the break.

The performance after the goal smacked of complacency to me.

The two times we showed any incisive intent, we either scored or forced the keeper into a save. Maybe we should have tried that a bit more often.

Next four games are key. Everton, Sheff Utd, Newcastle and Burnley. We need to get a good points return from those given what follows, else our season could get stuck in mid-table again. Though to be fair, that's probably where we deserve to be.
  • Just heard only Aston Villa have lost more points (8) from winning positions than us (7) so far this season. Game management anyone?
  • We’ve lost 7 points from winning positions this season. The second worst and we’ve played average teams.
  • A disappointing result for a not very good game. Hard to see Anderson or Lanzini scoring. Lanzini had a quiet game but Wiltshire wasn't any the better.In the first half Anderson was content with square and back passes and showed little urgency. Yamalenko was good in flashes but not that effective. We did not have anyone on the bench who could change the game. Antonio is injured and it would have been useful to have some aggressive winger or striker from the reserve team on the bench.

When you look at a team like Man City of Liverpool their strikers and advanced midfielders are hungrier, more inventive and lethal. We are a long way away from that. May be this defeat will encourage some rethink.
  • And what adds to the mind-bending annoyance is that since we gave up on the league cup (again), we've only managed one point from Bournemouth and Palace. I mean, what's the point? We do nothing in the league and nothing in the cups.

And yet we keep coming back. Like the unfaithful partner that we know is going to cheat on us again, we let West Ham back in, and then complain when they do.
  • My dinners been good though
  • alderz said:

My dinners been good though

What did you have?
  • alderz said:

Any left overs ?
    I get my spoon :ale:
  • edited October 2019
    I actually think we were the best team throughout and if I were a Palace fan I would think we stole those points. I think we played some lovely football during build up play and look a quality side.

However the big issue in my view is actually how few really solid chances our beautiful ball play and possession actually results in. We need penetrate more and this is why we are not scoring enough in games such as these. I have not known a Wes Ham side that can play at such speed firing ball to feet and retain possession in close play, it does however need lead to more goal scoring opportunities. Anderson is the perfect example of this as his feet are a thing of beauty, it's as though he glues the ball to his feet and walks past players, but there needs be more end product. I was about to write that we need a genuine player who can support Haller, I then remembered we do in Antonio, but without him to come on or even start we lack that penetration.

Also credit to Hodgson, I am not a fan but what he is getting from that bunch is a feat of management, can anyone imagine Jordon Ayew getting anywhere near starting for us?

As for us I think we are getting there and looking a very decent side in the making, my fear is we may not get there quick enough to keep the players who are helping us get there. At present I would go into any game aside from City and Pool realistically hoping to get something and that's not bad. We didn't get what we deserved today and we will have matches like that but we went into the game feeling good about what we hope is to come and although disappointed I dn't see any reason to feel it was a false hope. We are still on the up.
  • cannot agree at all, IMO we got what we deserved, we were the home team and were lacklustre
  • The defence and Rice and Noble have been doing a good job recently, and I think did a relatively good job today apart from a couple of lapses.

It's the attacking players who are letting us down at the moment. I don't think we've had one game where they've all really clicked and we've posed the threat those 4 or 5, on paper, should pose from all angles.

Lanzini barely touches the ball anywhere near the opponent's box.

Felipe is a shadow of himself, hardly ever shooting or trying to beat a man.

Yarmo is hot and cold.

Haller is so isolated sometimes he must think he's wandered into the Chernobyl exclusion zone.

I'm hopeful it will change and we'll see some or all of them hit some great form soon. Really, against a very average Palace defence, it was so poor to only create the chances we did.
  • edited October 2019

alderz said:

What did you have?
    Some Japanese curry, lots of booze. Now cinema and more booze. Jorderz is horrible company
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

What did you have?
    Some Japanese curry, lots of booze. Now cinema and more booze. Jorderz is good company
    You’ve given it away. Nobody has ever said this about me. Now they know we didn’t go out together.
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

What did you have?
    Some Japanese curry, lots of booze. Now cinema and more booze. Jorderz is good company
    You’ve given it away. Nobody has ever said this about me. Now they know we didn’t go out together.
    I fixed it so they’ll never know
  • Normal service has been resumed.
  • As for us I think we are getting there and looking a very decent side in the making, my fear is we may not get there quick enough to keep the players who are helping us get there. At present I would go into any game aside from City and Pool realistically hoping to get something and that's not bad. We didn't get what we deserved today and we will have matches like that but we went into the game feeling good about what we hope is to come and although disappointed I dn't see any reason to feel it was a false hope. We are still on the up.

That is the issue c&bsky. we need to achieve something whilst we have these players otherwise it will be yet another false dawn and they will have moved onto clubs that actually gain honours or at least get to play in Europe.
  • I think it’s a bit premature to be talking about losing players. Who are Champions League teams so desperate to buy from us?

Rice, maybe.

Haller looks worth the money, but he’s played seven games and somebody is going to have to pay us almost double to part with him.

Felipe, Lanzini and Yarmo don’t have the form to attract buyers.
  • edited October 2019
    Jorderz, European football isn't just in the Champions League! Ask Wolves, Arsenal, Manchester United, Celtic or Rangers about it. People go about us making progress, I know I do, so one step at a time, lets qualify for the Europa League and take it from there.
  • If we’re as terrible as people are saying why are we worried about people leaving?
  • It’s the hope that kills you!
  • Jorderz, European football isn't just in the Champions League! Ask Wolves, Arsenal, Manchester United, Celtic or Rangers about it. People go about us making progress, I know I do, so one step at a time, lets qualify for the Europa League and take it from there.

You think Rice or Haller is going to leave for Wolves, Rangers or Celtic? Because they’re in the Europa League?

Either of those players could cost £80 or £90M now. The only teams we need to worry about are the top, top sides.
  • alderz, they say you are only as good as the players around you so it's simple we just need better players to go with the ones we already have. You can't tell me that Haller wouldn't score more if he had a better service or Felipe & Declan wouldn't develop more if they were in a better squad?
  • Jorderz, I don't think I implied that our top players would go to any of those 3 clubs I was just pointing out that the Champions League isn't the only European club competition we could qualify for. :ok:
  • Just back from the game. I had been saving a rather nice bottle of Rioja for this evening, but I stopped off at londis and bought a much deserved own label house red in a plastic bottle. Mmm, vintage year and in a litre bottle. Much like the game, should have won that 3 or 4 nil. We showed touches of brilliance and style, and followed them up with terrible mistakes. Losing possession when it was really unnecessary, and once again trying to get past the penalty spot before having a shot. A few players were off form. Anderson and Yarmo in particular. Haller looked good but when he got good service he managed to hit their keeper. Just a bad day really, but so annoying it had to be against palace. Who honestly are pretty dismal. And a big well done to the palace supporters lobbing a smoke canister on the pitch and setting another one off in the stand. Muppets.
    It was a football match, but much like this londis house red, just not terribly good.
  • Looks like Zaha spat at Rice.
This discussion has been closed.