Oxford United v West Ham 25/09/19, 19.45pm. Carabao Cup 3rd Rd. Time to graduate into the 4th Round.

Comments

• its at the point now where i hope we draw PL opposition in the FA Cup, because i think that is the only time we may take it some what seriously.
  • The worse thing is not being able to wind Spurs fans up anymore :wahoo:
  • alderz said:

League Cup. Who cares? Let's get on with the real stuff

Our best chance to win a trophy?
    The last five years have been won by City x3, Chelsea and ManUtd. Even when we’ve done well in this tournament in recent history we’ve still crashed our fairly spectacularly in later rounds. I get that people are cross, but it’s the 3rd round, it’s not like we were in with a great shot or anything.

And no, I’m not saying it doesn’t matter and we should never try. Just that our ‘best’ chance is still an incredibly long shot.
    I get that Alderz, but that’s not really the point. It’s still our best chance - doesn’t mean it’s a good chance.

We have even less of a chance in the FA Cup because PL teams play stronger teams, and no chance of winning the PL.

I’m not saying beating Oxford means we’re winning the cup. It would still be a long shot. But it’s a hell of a longer shot now we’re out.
    I mean, I don’t disagree particularly. I do think though that the PL teams all take this cup (and the FA Cup) as an opportunity to rotate, and by the QF they all play strong squads.

Idk, I guess I just didn’t think we were ever going to challenge for the cup. I didn’t watch it either, so that probably helps me not be as fussed as others today.

I feel generally like I care a lot less than I did a few years ago across the board.
  • alderz said:

Idk, I guess I just didn’t think we were ever going to challenge for the cup. I didn’t watch it either, so that probably helps me not be as fussed as others today.

It wasn't broadcast anywhere, so nobody did. (Unless they were at the game.)
  • It would take an exceptional set of circumstances for West Ham to win anything, I think we all agree about that, but if we're serious about doing so, we have to give ourselves every chance and not take the kind of risks that we, and other mid-table PL teams, have done for so long.

I get that it's difficult for a manager. If Pellegrini played Rice, Anderson and Haller last night and they all got injured, there would be people raging that he's cost us three key players in a meaningless game and jeopardised our chance to finish top six. As it is, he's getting battered for not playing a strong enough team. Either way, he can't really win.

Of course, this is all assuming that there's a genuine interest in progressing in these competitions. I know the manager and the players talk a good story, but the evidence so far suggests that neither Pellegrini nor the players seems that keen to put the necessary effort in, physically or mentally. Is there prize money for a League Cup win? Genuine question, because maybe the club would rather we committed more to the PL and getting a higher league position and, therefore, more money. I just don't know anymore.

As I say, with City, Liverpool and Chelsea still in the competition, out chances of actually winning it would have pretty remote even if we had beaten Oxford, but they would still have been a damn sight higher than they are right now.
  • 4 of those big teams are playing one another in the next round, Spurs went out to Colchester. Watford got to an FA Cup final last season.

I don't really care what the odds are its a trophy.
  • MrsGrey said:

alderz said:

It wasn't broadcast anywhere, so nobody did. (Unless they were at the game.)
    Tbh I'd forgotten it was happening until my dad text me at the end of the game, so I wasn't even checking on here or for score updates!
  • edited September 2019
    I think there must be a case for either allowing Premiership teams (or all teams) to opt out of this cup. It seems apparent that its or not much interest to so many premiership teams and also some fans. It's as though teams are being forced to participate retain its surface credibility, and in response use it to give fringe players a bit of match fitness or keep them interested. I guess this works for teams to an extent but the cost is that some fans who retain a real desire for the clubs to compete to the best ability feel let down at vastly under strength teams playing competitive games. No one really cares when we lose a pre season match as its not meant to be competitive but these are cup games that are meant to mean something but clearly don't. We beat Manchester United 2-0 on Sunday and lost 4-0 to Oxford on the Wednesday.
  • edited September 2019
    In response to Alders

"I feel generally like I care a lot less than I did a few years ago across the board"

Over the years I've been able to mentally tune out when West Ham lose. I used to care way too much and realized it saddened me more than it should.

When we pick up points, great! But when we lose I'm really not affected (the oxford result made me laugh and instantly realize I couldnt wind my brother up re Spurs).

This I guess will be tested if we actually get close to winning a cup or qualifying for Europe...

• I’ve only just seen the goals. Sanchez should have his contract terminated immediately. Other than that, not much to say. We move on.
  • How about playing the same team beat Man U?
  • I also feel that there is an argument for playing your best or near to best side at the start, if you can put in two or three goals then you can bring some off. I recognise every now and again even that would backfire but much less than playing the b team from the beginning. What happens is we then bring in the big guns after we are chasing the game and the opposition have the wind in their sails. This wholesale resting things just annoys me as it's not necessary in my view. If we got into Europe we would have many more midweek games but I presume we would give it a proper go so surely a cup match once every few weeks should be doable. If we were in Europe I could understanding sacrificing the Caribou cup but we are not. I really hope at least he allows us to have a proper go in the FA Cup.
  • c&b

We can justifiably bemoan the performance (or lack thereof) but there's no way you can look at the starting line up and think that is not good enough to face a League One team. I disagree that Pelle didn't take the game seriously, and that he didn't expect us to give it a proper go.
  • West Ham innit.
  • Back home now. The Nuffield Museum was nice.
  • Don't know where to start really.
    OK at first with Holland skinning the full back twice and things looking bright but then we stopped giving him the ball. We were in control but once again could not complete the final pass. Oxford created a couple of chances and hit the bar from a free kick after the ref marched the wall back some 13 yards. It was so funny as he marked the line on the penalty spot but the kick was clearly 3 yards beyond the D. Second half they came out quicker and as they say the rest is history.
    Lost count of the number of times that Holland, Snoddie and Ajeti started runs behind their back four but not once did the player on the ball look up to make the pass.
    Roberto made one good save but basically just watched as the shots went past him. Balbuena wasn't at the races, Wilshere nice touches but no end product, Masuaka back to his poorest, Ajeti feeding off crumbs, Holland promising start but fell into the general malaise. Zab did ok, Snoddie couldn't beat his man, Fornals was busy and Issa was our best player. Sanchez, who will never win over the fans, was involved a lot but was one of the main culprits in not seeing runs off the ball.
    It was the same game we play against lower league teams time after time, especially away. Shrewsbury, Wimbledon, Wigan come to mind. We don't start with any tempo which allows the opposition to settle.
    I've seen worse performances, even won one of them, but I do agree with most that we didn't need nine changes. Expecting someone like Holland to play his game with players not used to playing with each other is a big ask, same goes for Ajeti and Fornals.
    Beat Bournemouth on Saturday and a lot will be forgiven.

COYI
  • Ironherb, Sorry but I don't think I will forget Wednesday night if we are able to win tomorrow. One good result will not repair the issues it raised, IMHO it will take finishing in the top 6 or winning the FA Cup to erase the Oxford debacle.
  • edited September 2019
    Really? fair enough, I suppose.

How do you feel about the reverse of the scenario you posit ....

One bad result will not obscure the positives we have seen?

Of course, ironherb didn't actually say what you have represented it as: we'll 'forget' it, or a win will 'repair the issues'. What he actually said was 'a lot will be forgiven'.

#FactsAreFun
  • edited September 2019
    Mrs G, It might be a surprise but I had mixed emotions about Wednesday night, instead of really getting :angry: I was surprisingly calm about the result but I expect it to mean we are targeting a high finish in the league otherwise why did Pelle pick a weakened line up? :whistle: One win, hopefully tomorrow, shouldn't mean all is forgiven. We are long overdue to mount a serious challenge for European football, a bit like the season we had under Slav but we still managed to cock that up as well. My expectations may need raining in but I don't see why they should be based on all the spin we were given prior to the move to the OS. I was right about Sanchez though. ;)
  • The problem is that unlike the "big six" we don't have the depth of squad necessary to play in Europe and do well domestically.

Look at Wolves this season, look at Burnley last season or Leicester the season after they won the title (12th). You need a big squad to play both and we'd be relying on the players who lost against Oxford!
  • ASLEF, we tried the scattergun transfer approach in preparation for qualifying for the Group Stages of the Europa League and we all know how that turned out. I would rather get into that position again and then worry about how we are going to cope. :ok:

Some fans were even saying after the fallout from Wednesday they would accept relegation if it meant we won a domestic cup. Lets qualify for Europe & then it would be more acceptable to achieve what some people believe is the norm for us and finish between 10th & 16th.
  • Some fans were even saying after the fallout from Wednesday they would accept relegation if it meant we won a domestic cup. Lets qualify for Europe & then it would be more acceptable to achieve what some people believe is the norm for us and finish between 10th & 16th.

Some fans obviously haven't thought through the consequences of relegation

How many of our squad would want to play in the Championship? Rice, Anderson, Diop, Yarmolenko, Lanzini, Haller and others would want top flight football here or somewhere else. We'd be left with Mark Noble, those too old to attract a transfer and a bunch of kids.

I'd rather stay in the Premier League than see us have to start building a team again from scratch. We've had seven seasons since we were promoted and we've not managed two consecutive top half finishes, I've got to the age where I'd like to see some consistency.
  • edited September 2019
    Wigan were the last team out of the 'top 6' to win the FA Cup, and were relegated in the same season (2012/13). Since then:

13-14 - C - 5th - FA Cup SF
    14-15 - C 23rd (R)
    15-16 - L1 - 1st
    16-17 - C - 23rd (R)
    17-18 - L1 - 1st FA Cup QF
    18-19 - C 18th

Each to their own, but that's not a price I'd be happy to see us pay for winning a trophy.
  • edited September 2019

• ASLEF, I think our consistency is not winning either of the cups & not reaching the top 6.
  • Won’t know the score till later flying to Cyprus at two, hate flying too don’t know why I put myself through it
  • Fortune - better than our previous consistency which was getting relegated every 10-12 years.
  • edited September 2019
    So I post Sid Snot and Grey edits his posting from 'snot' to 'that's not'! Hows that fair!

#chucks cigs toward mouth til one goes in
  • I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about... :whistle: