Oxford United v West Ham 25/09/19, 19.45pm. Carabao Cup 3rd Rd. Time to graduate into the 4th Round.

Comments

• At least with the Wimbledon debacle we looked like we might come back at one point

As soon as oxford scored their first you knew it was curtains for us
  • Don’t understand this result, I though the 11 looked decent..

Can only be about desire and attitude.

Shameful...

Absolutely Vorse they weren’t better players if they were they’d be plying there trade in the prem, but there desire, attitude commitment and pride far outshone ours and that I can’t forget, wouldn’t be so bad if was a one off but it isn’t, as someone stated earlier those players should refund the supporters for that performance at the very least :angry:
  • Would have been home to Sunderland.
  • Sunderland at home if we’d one
  • edited September 2019
    Cuz, some might say it is down to Pelle to get them into the right mindset but he is only partly responsible for tonights debacle, the players should want to show some personal pride and put a shift in.

The draw justs adds to my angst!
  • And ten prem teams drawn against each other what a chance we’ve thrown away
  • And a horrendous draw for Crawley after all their hard work.
  • Cuz1 said:

And ten prem teams drawn against each other what a chance we’ve thrown away

Again
  • Pelle must have been praying for Rochdale to come through on pens to deflect the attention away from him
  • Just seen the cup draw, makes it even more difficult to take,,

Open for us it would have been...
  • From the OS

Manuel Pellegrini offered no excuses for his side’s performance in defeat to Oxford United at Wednesday night.

The Hammers crashed out of the Carabao Cup with a 4-0 defeat at the Kassam Stadium, as the U’s ran in four unanswered second half goals to humble Pellegrini’s men.

The manager said his team had more than enough experience to get the job done at the Kassam Stadium, but admitted the performance fell well short of their standards.

“We played against a team who played very well,” he said. “It’s easy to say that we played very badly, but I think Oxford did everything they needed to win this game here at home for them.

“They played with a lot of motivation, with desire and we didn’t play well.

“If you give them time and space all of them are good players. They scored four goals, they had other chances and I think we only created one in the first ten minutes of the game and one in the last minute.

“In the second half we lost all the moments [which decided the match].

“If you want to continue playing in all competitions you have to use your whole squad, and we played with [experienced] players. I repeat, Oxford made it tough and after that [we perhaps showed a] lack of belief that these games are always very difficult for the teams who are in the better league.

“Of course for the fans who came to Wimbledon, and to Oxford today, it’s not the best way to answer them. Football is like this, unfortunately it was a very bad night for some players and we’ll try to recover in our next game in the Premier League
  • edited September 2019
    I think one of the problems is that our second string players, notably Roberto, Balbuena, Sanchez, Snodgrass and Ajeti, aren't even playing reserve football.

We would arguably be better off playing Anang, Cardoso, Coventry, Holland and Scully in these types of games; at least they play competitive football every week and will have some level of match fitness.

I know they've been training, but Roberto, Balbuena and Ajeti haven't had a minute of competitive football between them since the Newport game, and Snodgrass and Sanchez have only managed a few minutes from the bench in that time. I know they're professionals, but is it really fair to expect them to come into this kind of game cold and perform?
  • I know I joke about it but it's amazing how much we need Lanzini for a bit of creativity. Antonio is another one we dearly miss.
  • Nice to see Pelle learned from the Wimbledon debacle last season. Someone needs tell him that we aren't City and we are not going to win the league but a good cup run means the world and could make a season to remember, treat each cup match as a Premiership match, it's not that difficult a concept to understand.

I Recognise the players should still be good enough but these wholesale changes bring an added vulnerability beyond the individuals as they are not used to playing together as the first eleven are, so you can certainly rest one or two but not wholesale change.
  • At least Zab had the decency to apologise.
  • League Cup. Who cares? Let's get on with the real stuff
  • Aslef, I think it is all to do with the performance & result, if we'd lost 3-2 or actually gave a half decent account of ourselves but were unlucky to lose perhaps us fans would have been a bit more accepting, it's all about the manner in which we played and lost, hopeless, shambolic, emabarrasing a few adjectives to describe it...
  • edited September 2019
    It’s just proof if you ever needed it that, despite the scripts that are trotted out by Pelle & the players before the game, it is clearly a match of no interest to any of them.

9 changes (rightly or wrongly) means Pelle isn’t that fussed. He won’t play any of those players bar two against Bournemouth. The performance of the players (losing is one thing, but 4-0) shows that their attitude was way off for this game, & that’s the most worrying thing.
  • Up there with one of the worst West Ham performances in all my years supporting. An absolute disgrace.

If there’s a silver lining it is that with their SEVENTEEN shots with 9 on target it should have been more than 4.
  • Next season the fans should stay away from attending these cup games. If the players and manager aren't going to bother then the fans shouldn't waste their time and money.

Our best chance to win a trophy? I care.

What’s the ‘real stuff’? Finishing 8th? That will really be a memory to treasure for the rest of my life. Can’t wait.
  • Lowlights here.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/september/26-september/highlights-oxford-united-4-0-west-ham-united

Very poor from Zab for the second, Masuaku for the third, and Fornals, Zab and Balbuena for the 4th. Awful to see Sanchez so far off the pace in nearly every section of play as well.

Our best chance to win a trophy? I care.

What’s the ‘real stuff’? Finishing 8th? That will really be a memory to treasure for the rest of my life. Can’t wait.
    As do the traveling support and the poor guy on West Ham Fan TV who lives in Oxford and had to sit in the Oxford end :doh:
  • Everyone but Pellegrini knew Sanchez is a liability and will cost us games

Unfortunately it wasnt just him who was awful

Without Noble we are gutless

Another year we are embarrassed in the cup

Our best chance to win a trophy?
    The last five years have been won by City x3, Chelsea and ManUtd. Even when we’ve done well in this tournament in recent history we’ve still crashed our fairly spectacularly in later rounds. I get that people are cross, but it’s the 3rd round, it’s not like we were in with a great shot or anything.

And no, I’m not saying it doesn’t matter and we should never try. Just that our ‘best’ chance is still an incredibly long shot.
  • We are one and a bit years into Wilshere’s 3 years and for me, putting aside a few meaningless friendlies, it was not a great decision to sign him. If someone like Wenger is happy to let a player go (read Lucas Perez also) there’s a good reason for doing so
  • alderz said:

League Cup. Who cares? Let's get on with the real stuff

Our best chance to win a trophy?
    The last five years have been won by City x3, Chelsea and ManUtd. Even when we’ve done well in this tournament in recent history we’ve still crashed our fairly spectacularly in later rounds. I get that people are cross, but it’s the 3rd round, it’s not like we were in with a great shot or anything.

And no, I’m not saying it doesn’t matter and we should never try. Just that our ‘best’ chance is still an incredibly long shot.
    I get that Alderz, but that’s not really the point. It’s still our best chance - doesn’t mean it’s a good chance.

We have even less of a chance in the FA Cup because PL teams play stronger teams, and no chance of winning the PL.

I’m not saying beating Oxford means we’re winning the cup. It would still be a long shot. But it’s a hell of a longer shot now we’re out.
  • It was absolutely pathetic and is, imo, indefensible.
  • I think it would be a good idea if both the cups mandated teams to name their squads (with an upper limit to numbers) and only those could play in the whole tournament.

It would force the big guns to either play their strongest squad throughout or their second string throughout. It might perhaps help even things up
  • I dont agree with the wholesale changes to the team for these games. we should put out a strong team, get the lead and then use substitutes for resting players and for others getting experience. I also think we have a real problem with the work rate in our teams, I don't know if it is fitness or what but we do seem to lack energy / effort at times.