Aston Villa A Mon 16th Sept 8pm. Will Anderson turn the Heaton Villa?

Comments

• Considering the amount of money we invested in the summer, pretty much all on attacking players, I would have expected more in terms of chances created this season considering the quality of opposition in 4 of the 5 games.

We didn’t really look like scoring yesterday, especially at 11 v 11 so I’m surprised Pelle was so gushing in his praise post-match
  • Without Antonio we miss the pace, being able to bring him on in the second half when there defense is tired is a big plus.

So true. There were so many opportunities to counter in that second half, but Fornals just wasn’t suited to that role down the right. I honestly think we would have won that game if Antonio had been brought on.

What about Nathan Holland? From what I’ve seen he’s a pacy player but lacks strength. Surely it’s worth having him as a different option off the bench?
  • We lack a lot of quality unfortunately. Yarmelenko looks very leggy. Hoping with some game time he might overcome that hurdle but i get the feeling he is one strong tackle away from being back on the treatment table and restarting this all over again.
  • I think villa worked really hard if we had 11 in the last 20 I think we could have nicked it . I think Fornals is still finding he feet in the league he is young a new team and country people need to give him some time adjust.
  • We just couldn't get the final ball away, whether the cross, pass or shot. A little too intricate at times but some good football played. Rice had his best game this season, back to his top form imo, and Issa was a giant, especially when we were down to 10 men.
    We were more dangerous after Arthur was sent off with Villa coming at us more and so spaces left behind. Grealish was the one player with time on the ball, just like watching Rav, but had no final ball.
    The atmosphere was good and at no time was I thinking this was a drab 0-0. It was pretty much end to end throughout but with little to show.
    A point away is good point and as Pelle said, we didn't go looking for a point we went for three. I like that.

COYI
  • Even though Anderson was a bit below par yesterday I think he should get a lot of credit for his defensive work. I thought he worked very hard.
  • I thought that Rice and Haller were superb, my wife was entertained by watching me try to kick every ball, it was that sort of game.

Unpopular and controversial opinion here but I didn't think Haller had a great game. I agree he was isolated for large parts but didn't seem to offer too much movement. He seemed pretty static to me and easy for Mings to read him and tackle him. I felt like Mings had him in his pocket for large parts of the game.
  • You lost me after controversial.
  • Great and prolonged reception for Snoddy from the home fans last night. :clap:
  • One thing that frustrated me was how poor we were from set-pieces. Very disappointing.
  • One thing that frustrated me was how poor we were from set-pieces. Very disappointing.

'Twas always so.

Man, I miss Payet sometimes.
  • I tend to agree, though where we got the 'knock the ball a foot, then stop it and deliver the cross' routine from I've no idea. What is the point of it?

• Man, I miss Payet sometimes.

Agree, the man was a phenomenal with free and corner kicks.
  • I tend to agree, though where we got the 'knock the ball a foot, then stop it and deliver the cross' routine from I've no idea. What is the point of it?

Supposedly it’s to change the angle of the cross but never works for us. Have we ever scored from this approach?
  • edited September 2019

One thing that frustrated me was how poor we were from set-pieces. Very disappointing.

'Twas always so.

Man, I miss Payet sometimes.
    :fishslap:

Pull yourself together dear!

• Man, I miss Payet sometimes.

Agree, the man was a phenomenal with free and corner kicks.

and there’s one for you :fishslap:
  • I fail to understand why we are so poor at corners, Anderson was the principle baddie yesterday, especially in the first half.
  • MIAHammer said:

I tend to agree, though where we got the 'knock the ball a foot, then stop it and deliver the cross' routine from I've no idea. What is the point of it?

Supposedly it’s to change the angle of the cross but never works for us. Have we ever scored from this approach?
    Antonio against Liverpool.
  • Maybe they should just drag someone from the crowd to take free kicks for us couldn’t do any worse :lol:
  • Just watched the first half, Noble's yellow card was a joke, he tripped not a dive and Yarmalenko wasn't as bad as I'd expected from the comments.

I'll watch the second half when I get home from work tonight.
  • I see Dean reported Arthur for not leaving the field quickly enough but the FA have decided to take no further action.
  • Watching Haller it looks to me like he is done around the 60min mark, I think he is still getting used to the Physical output needed for 90min in the PL.

The whole team except Rice / Fab were avg or below I thought.

Villa apart from about 3 players are bang Avg... Their big Striker is USELESS...
  • I see Dean reported Arthur for not leaving the field quickly enough but the FA have decided to take no further action.

You have to respect he is in charge and the supporters go to watch him! Every time I watch a game he officiates I can see why people call him a clown. :doh:
  • edited September 2019
    I think yesterday showed the problem with our summer transfer business in that we had four strikers leave and only one come in, unless you count the swiss guy who doesn't seem to get a game and looks to be for the future. Many on here said if Antonio, who was likely to move up onto Hallar's support, gets injured we have a problem, but imagine now if Hallar gets injured? where would we see goals coming from. I accept Hugill and Carroll were not really reliable for selection but they were bought originally for the need of numbers in attack within the squad. In my view we really needed another striker and even though I think Fornall will come good perhaps we needed a striker rather than another Midfielder. Snoddie not even getting a game in which he could have potentially had a good effect but sat on the bench, Wilshire sat on the bench, both good midfielders but no place, yet when Hallar is isolated and I felt we need offer more we had no one on the bench.
  • c&b

We had both Ajeti and Fornals on the bench. Arthur's sending off probably put the kibosh on any (more) attacking substitutions.

Of course, in an ideal world it would be great if we could have a player of the quality of Giroud hanging around and prepared to play 20 minutes or so, but that isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Realistically, we had 2 strikers available last year, in Arnie and Chicarito, and we have the same now, with Silva coming back to fitness.

Given how very hard any PL club finds it to get a decent striker, getting a decent spare is a massive ask.

WHAT!? Next thing you know Dean will send him to the naughty step for not picking up his dirty socks!!

#baffoon
  • It will be interesting if there is one of these head butting incidents this weekend because with Dean checking with VAR they have clearly said that kind of incident requires no intervention, before the check the ref's view of it could have been used to excuse the lack of action but not now. That type of incident in the view of VAR does not require a card but just a ticking off.
  • Regarding VAR I understand that in the European games they expect the ref to review using a touchline monitor which we don't do so it's down to the panel to instruct the ref to reverse his decision.
  • Regarding VAR I understand that in the European games they expect the ref to review using a touchline monitor which we don't do so it's down to the panel to instruct the ref to reverse his decision.

Not quite. Touchline review is available in the PL.
  • It will be interesting if there is one of these head butting incidents this weekend because with Dean checking with VAR they have clearly said that kind of incident requires no intervention, before the check the ref's view of it could have been used to excuse the lack of action but not now. That type of incident in the view of VAR does not require a card but just a ticking off.

'they have clearly said that kind of incident requires no intervention'

Well, not exactly. Var will review it but only overrule the refs decision if they think he has made a clear and obvious error.

If it's a judgement call, or borderline, they'll let the onfield ref's decision stand.

If he'd given a red, it's just as likely that VAR wouldn't have overruled that either.
This discussion has been closed.