International Matches - September 2019 and October 2019

Comments

• He barely puts a foot wrong, but it will always be hard to shine in games like these last two, where his job is so straightforward.

He’s the kind of player that you realise how good he is when he suddenly isn’t in the team.

And I’m looking forward to seeing him when England next play a top side - I think that’s where others will realise quite how good he is.

• Things like this don't help. Kosovo didn't lose the ball; Rice stole if from them and allowed the counter attack to launch.
  • Now Rice gives it away very cheaply for a Kosovo goal :whome:
  • Ah, and now Rice's loose pass allows Kosovo to attack and score
  • Terrible ball from rice
  • One for Keane, one for Rice and now one for Maguire. At least Rice isn’t alone!
  • Scoring isn't finished yet, I'd wager
  • Kane misses a dubious penalty.

#poormansmarknoble
  • He wasn’t about to hand that to sancho was he?
  • The excuses they make for Kane oh it was two minutes between penalty awarded and taken, it didn’t help Kane that the kosoven was booked why can’t they come out and say poor penalty should have scored
  • Another great bit of work by Rice sets up another counter attack.

One, albeit expensive, mistake all night, which is all most people will mention I expect.
  • Got to get Barkley off and Maddison on.
  • Rice needs to work on his long passing. (more than 10 yards) think thats the quality he is missing to move him into a top top player.
  • I think he's got it in his locker. He did play a couple of decent pings out to Alexander-Arnold in the first half.

Maybe he's been told to keep it simple and maintain possession as a priority.
  • Scoring isn't finished yet, I'd wager

This is why I don't bet
  • It was a shocking pass but it was also awful defending afterwards
  • Rice needs to work on his long passing. (more than 10 yards) think thats the quality he is missing to move him into a top top player.

I don't think he's as confident as he is with us, yet. He doesn't carry the ball or make ambitious passes with England.

Well done to Kosovo though. To put in that kind of shift after letting five goals in during the first half. Made into the first England game worth watching in a while.
  • If he has ambitions of playing for a Champions League club he will need to get use to doing that frequently. He spends a lot of time pointing which to me says he doesn't lack any confidence around that England squad and puts himself about a bit. He just need to expand his game going forwards. His job might be to play the simple stuff and keep things ticking over but you saw vs the Netherlands with De Jong that expansive part of the game is what you need to make it to the very top. He has the ability to get there.
  • edited September 2019
    Imo Rice is only in the starting 11 as the alternatives are just bang average. I do think Rice is a good young player who will improve as he matures and has more games under his belt,But IMHO he is fortunate that the other options are not great, but good for him & us, I am sure he will get to the next level in the years to come.
  • Josh Cullen made his debut last night for Ireland.
  • Rice is only 20 plenty of time for him to improve his game and he is pretty decent already :wahoo:
  • Don't think much of our chances when we play against the big boys if last nights
    performance was anything to go by. To concede three goals against such a low
    rated team in the UEFA ratings is pathetic.
  • Kosvo's rating is low as they are a fairly new country. They remind me a bit of Croatia when they started out full of passion and pride
  • 120th but realistically more like top 50
  • It shows what a prospect Rice is that he is starting for England at 20. In truth he is not going to reach his potential for at least another couple of years, at which point he could end up one of the first on the team sheet.
  • Declan getting a bit of recognition from tthe BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/49666459
  • edited October 2019
    Well done Declan, called up again. :clap:

Goalkeepers: Tom Heaton, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Joe Gomez, Michael Keane, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Danny Rose, Fikayo Tomori, Kieran Trippier.

Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Jordan Henderson, James Maddison, Mason Mount, Declan Rice, Harry Winks.

Forwards: Tammy Abraham, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Callum Wilson

Not sure about Gomez and Tomori. :puzzled:
  • More surprise with Keane tbh, who from what i have seen has been pretty poor

Think Tomori has been pretty good since being introduced to the first team

Gomez I guess is a bit lucky, but hes being kept out the team by Matip who is criminally underrated and is a top CB