Norwich City H Sat 31st Aug 3pm. Haller gonna Pukki the Canaries back in their cage

Comments

• Herb and Lukerz’ match thread endeavours have seen us win 6 and draw 2 of our last 9 competitive fixtures

Supporting West Ham would be a slightly more straightforward experience if Man City didn’t show up every now and then
  • It's been a while since we have been sat in 5th (Bilic second season I think).

Only 4 games I know, but it feels good :scarf:
  • Great victory and never really in doubt as we did look to have an extra gear to them thanks to our quality players, Anderson in particular.

Haller looks an out and out striker as we have needed for some time, our progress this season may largely depend on his availability. We look such a good footballing side at times with Anderson and Lanzini, and with Fornells we could be in some real entertainment this season.

Had we been chasing the game we were actually quite wasteful in that second half and really should of had two more goals, luckily we didn't need them.

Norwich will struggle this season and look woefully short of aggression and strength, they need a Noble desperately and a Rice wouldn't go a miss.

Things looking good and have got points on the board early which was the problem last season.
  • Teemu Pukki

vs Liverpool, 28 touches, 3 shots, 1 on target, 1 goal
    vs Newcastle, 29 touches, 7 shots, 6 on target, 3 goals
    vs Chelsea, 15 touches, 2 shots, 2 on target, 1 goal

vs West Ham, 15 touches, 2 shots, 2 on target, 0 goals

I think Pukki has been sussed out.
  • edited August 2019
    Just seen the Haller none PEN.

Can't believe not given...

What we really need is some sort of instant replay tha could help the Ref with PEN decisions...
  • Just got back from the game, after a glass of sweet sherry in Browns. Fab result, entertaining game. We more than deserved the win, only 2 flattered Norwich, and their keeper earned his save bonus. Haller is a beast, Anderson really and truly is an amazing player, Fabianski gives us some confidence, Declan looks like he has been studying old films of BM6, and Sir Mark Noble is.........Noble.
    We didn’t have a bad player on the pitch, although I was surprised to see Yarmo getting plaudits, he had a bang average first half, and looked a bit moany, but he did work hard. Not quite sure what game Daniel Norfolk-German was watching, it was pretty physical, but if you looked at the match in detail, it was pretty even in clouts and thumps. We had 2 decent penalty claims waved away, they had none. If you are going to complain about var not picking stuff up in the middle of the park, then that’s his choice, but the ref made a reasonable game of it. They did hit 5he bar, but if everything close had gone in, we would have won 6-1.
    Pity we didn’t get 3, I would have loved to be level on goals conceded after a stuffing by citeh.
  • :lol: Admit it, you had more than 1 glass of sweet sherry, didn't you?

#deansaunders #onepint
  • Wombat, agree on Yarmo. He was pretty average (exhausted and rusty), but that’s completely understandable. Hopefully he’s getting fitter and sharper with every game, and the goal was really nice to see.

The BBC reporter who gave Yarmo MOTM was a very confused human being. Must be suffering from a Felipe Anderson-sized blindspot.
  • I definitely had less than Dean Saunders. I may well have had a pint, but it might have been aperol and Prosecco.
  • Good to see you out and about :thumbsup:
  • Thank you. Small steps, but a season ticket gives me a reason to get out😀
  • Back from a very enjoyable game, before the game would have been happy with a 2-0 win, but after disappointed it was not 3 or 4, which it could very easily have been. Some of our creative play, particularly in the second half was real quality, long may it continue..,
  • As anybody else noticed that since IBL left our form as picked up# just saying
  • edited September 2019
    Haller looks very good and is a real handful. He should definitely of had a penalty. He has made a real difference in attack. The team looks as if it is gelling and the movement is much better now.
    I have to admit though the big difference has been MN coming back to lead very well but I am surprised that to me he seems to have got his old self back. He took a player on in the corner and crossed the ball and is timing his tackles better.
    I like Yarmolenko and Masuaku’s pace and crossing is ideal for Haller.

Very promising last couple of games.
  • Loved their manager going nuts about the Haller tackle and the non elbow but not mentioning the stonewall penalty!
  • He was quickly dismissed on motd
  • From my new vantage point. Billy bonds 232 row 40 (execellent view btw) it was a cracking game. Controversy, tackles, great goals, great saves. And of course a brilliant result. After watching mancity demolish us. This was an absolute pleasure. coyi

• Enjoyed that. Comfortable win against a poor Norwich side who run out of ideas and steam once we went two up. Good performances all over the pitch with Arthur having his best game for us, Issa back to his mighty best and Anderson showing his mercurial skills. Yarmo showed improvement in match fitness and has a beast of a left foot. He is a 10 goal a season player imo. Nobes played much further up the pitch making us more like a 4-1-4-1 formation. Haller again showed his all round game.
    All in all a good day at the office.
  • Fun fact:

Pellegrini now has a win % of 43.75%, the highest of any permanent manager in West Ham history.

Billy Bonds is second with 43.61%, albeit from 227 matches compared to Manuel’s 48.

Worst ever was Gianfranco Zola with 28.75%
  • Have one of these:

:stats:
  • That’s basically my version of scooby snacks
  • edited September 2019
    I think Masuaku's assist shows why he's our first choice left back. In that situation, no way is Cresswell beating his man for pace and picking out Haller.

With a five year deal under his belt, he looks like he's got that position nailed down.

For those that watched the game, how did Fredericks do?
  • I thought Fredericks did well. Got up to support the attack, but did his defensive work. His pace is a real asset. At one point, we had poured forward, and Norwich were breaking on the counter at the halfway line, but Fredericks got across to the left touchline to snuff it out.
  • He didn't look confident to me and was a little tentative at times. As grey stated, he does use his pace well to recover situations. Just needs to show that positive intent and he will be fine.
  • Very enjoyable game.Loved watching Anderson, he can be a bit frustrating with the final ball but he can also take three opponents out of the game with one very clever pass.We do look so much better when Noble is playing.Hopefully we can keep this little run going for a few games.The game I’m really looking forward to is Man. U.
  • IronHerb said:

He didn't look confident to me and was a little tentative at times. As grey stated, he does use his pace well to recover situations. Just needs to show that positive intent and he will be fine.

In the early part of the game we gave away the ball a lot on our right side either through his poor passing or not anticipating the pass. I thought he looked quite sluggish at the beginning but definitely got better as the game went on.

Also, to be honest, I thought Yarmolenko was quite poor prior to scoring. I was shouting to replace him at half time but luckily Pelle couldn’t hear me through the telly.
  • We’re going to finish the weekend in 7th place. Looks like a great August for us considering our recent history.
  • What are the early thoughts on how much pace Haller has? In the watford game - in the run up to the pen, he didn’t seem to pull clear when played through and there were glimpses of the same v Norwich? It might be that it isn’t one of his main weapons?
  • I think that game was made for Masuaku as he is our best full back when pressing teams back with us dominating but he is sometimes our least reliable when we are getting pressed back and he needs be an out and out defender. I always see him as a winger actually and think he would do a great job, can beat a man and deliver a cross, what more do you want?
  • For most of last season Masuaku was being very reserved, almost like he'd been told to tighten up defensively and not be too adventurous. The problem was he still wasn't good defensively and we lost his best attributes. Since the end of last season it feels like he's been unshackled again and I think he even becomes a better defender when playing a more high energy game where he charges around rather than when he has to concentrate. Especially with Antonio gone, the way he can force us up the pitch is so important.
This discussion has been closed.