Newport County V West Ham Tues 27th Aug Carabao Cup 2nd Rd. A cup run or Plonkers at Rodney Parade?

1234568»

Comments

• Apart from our defending i thought we did OK. I thought Wilshere got better as the game went on, Snodders worked hard but could have been more effective. Zab was solid and got forward a lot.
    Just need a defensive coach - we nearly gave a few goals away.
    I hope Antonio is not out for too long - we need him
  • edited August 2019
    To be honest, Sanchez may well not be a very good player, but he needs a bit longer to settle. He played two games (Arsenal, Wolves) before a season ending injury last year, he then had a couple of sub cameos at the back end of last season & now he has made his first start of this season. To me he looks off the pace, & I think that is something that will come with more game time in the PL. He looked off the pace last season too, but he has come from Serie A, a very slow league.

I just think we are quick to be harsh on a player. I thought his dodgy moments last night were more being slow minded & off the pace, less than maybe a lack of quality. He is a very experienced player.
  • I think Antonio's injury is a major nuisance. Had he not pulled up he would have been clean through on goal and I would have expected him to score.
  • Antonio is the only player of his type in our squad. So, it’s a big blow.
  • Reports are that his hamstring has been torn and may need an operation
  • The problem with Antonio is that he is consistently doing his hamstring, so his all action power is causing him muscular issues. He obvs went into a full on sprint when he hadn’t warmed up properly or he did but he has a weakness there. I think they are going to keep cropping up.
  • Re Sanchez:

Don’t see why he needs lots of time to “settle” as he is already very experienced and also has plenty of experience in the PL aswell via his spell at Villa

Even if Pelle somehow seems to rate him, I doubt sully will agree to him extending his current contract so I would think he will be gone at the end of the season when his contract runs out.

Hopefully we won’t need to use him much between now and then
  • @JacobSteinberg
    West Ham fear Michail Antonio needs an operation after suffering a hamstring injury against Newport County last night and could be out for three to four months #whufc
  • Always one in August out till Jan. Usually someone is out for the rest of the season around October time.

The curse shall never be lifted it seems.
  • On the bright side, we only play Spurs away in March so hopefully he will be back before then
  • Antonio missed a combined 8 & a half months due to two separate hamstring injuries within the last 3 years. Now he looks set for another 3 months minimum on a third one. Certainly an issue there & at 30 you would assume only going to get weaker.
  • Luke did u never see Sanchez play for Villa, ok they were a poor team, but even then IMO it was very obviuos to see that Sanchez is real pony, hope he proves me wrong!, Re Snodgrass, he is a trier, it sadly more than not doesn't work out, last was IMO he was wasteful too many times, real shame about Antonio if is the case ...
  • I thought Snodgrass’ crossing was poor. There was no whipping the ball in. It was all lofted into the box. Maybe that would work better with Haller but it didn’t work with Ajeti.
  • Cuz1 said:

Sanchez poor pass set up the goal tho

I’m not sure making the best of an error fills me with joy.

I thought he was poor in this game.
    I did to was trying to make a positive out of a negative suze
  • Imo:

Roberto - 8/10 - Clean sheet and looked composed in goal.

Zabaleta - 6/10 - Didn't shine but didn't look as bad as Cresswell on the other side of the defence!

Balbuena - 6/10 - Similarly to Zabaleta he didn't shine. Looked ok but no more than that.

Diop - 5.5/10 - Shaky in the first half but looked much better in the second. I feel part of the reason he looked so poor in the first half was the lack of help he received from Cresswell.

Cress - 3.5/10 - Poor positioning, lost the ball constantly with poor passes, poor crosses and lapses in concentration. Struggled to even do the basics successfully.

Sanchez - 5.5/10 - In the first half he was slow on the ball, indecisive with his passing, slowed down the play and generally looked shakey. It took him 5+ touches to get the ball down, his head up and then to find the pass. However in the second half he looked better with faster and more positive passing. He required less touches, didn't slow down our attacks and generally looked more promising when he didn't have to think as much. It's his sideways and backwards passing that scares me the most.

Wilshere - 6.5/10 - A mixed performance. At times he looked weak with inaccurate passing and cheaply losing the ball, but then at other times his passing was crisp and you could clearly tell he plays football to a higher standard than our opposition. There were times where I felt he just needed to hold onto the ball rather than trying to do too much with it.

Anderson - 6.5/10 - Similar to Wilshere in the fact that at times he was wasteful in possession looking for that Hollywood pass. In all honesty he should really be ripping teams like this apart. Occasionally the passes came off but at other times he lost possession when a simple pass would've been far more effective. Also like Wilshere, he grew as the game went on.

Snodgrass - 6.5/10 - Guilty of a few needless fouls in the first half by clumsily going into the back of players. I did think the Newport players were waiting for these challenges from him to win cheap free kicks but at the same time Snodgrass should've picked up on this. As the game went on, I was impressed with his ability to keep the ball, do the basics right (something a lot of our players struggled with) and generally keeping the ball ticking nicely. I prefer him to Wilshere in the sense that he keeps his passes simple and makes sure they find a man nine times out of ten rather than Wilshere's one-touch flicks and quick-passes when players aren't ready or expecting what he's going to do.

Fornals - 6.5/10 - You could see the quality he has at times and with more possesion I reckon he really could've looked promising. He scored one and almost another. I think we can see a lot more than what he showed in this game - a really promising player he'll be for us.

Ajeti - 6/10 - Didn't do much but didn't have that much to work with. He needs movement around him imo. Perhaps he'd be better out wide - Just an idea? Hard to make judgement on him as he could be quality but we didn't have as much possession as we should've to give him the service he needs. Having said that, sometimes I feel attackers need to make their own chances.
  • Welove how much possession do you think we should have. 73% seems to me to be a high percentage. The main problem is we are generally too slow to use it with more effect.
  • From WhoScored - the stats for passing.

• edited August 2019
  • I thought Anderson was brilliant last night
  • Hamstew said:

I thought Anderson Lanzini was brilliant last night

There you go Ham, sorted it for you :biggrin:
  • Welove how much possession do you think we should have. 73% seems to me to be a high percentage. The main problem is we are generally too slow to use it with more effect.

That's the sort of percentage I'd expect. I would've expected us to have had more possession in the first half as well as done more with the ball however I can't fault the second half. Overall 70% is around what I'd expect (although I would've expected us to have had more than what we had in the first half and perhaps slightly less in the second half).
  • As Bournemouth, Burnley & Everton are showing tonight, these games are tough.
  • Everton’s team looks full of first teamers
  • Luis Boa Morte is their assistant manager COYI
  • Burnley looking like they're out and Bornemouth could be going to penalties.
  • Imo:
    I prefer him to Wilshere in the sense that he keeps his passes simple and makes sure they find a man nine times out of ten rather than Wilshere's one-touch flicks and quick-passes when players aren't ready or expecting what he's going to do.

If this is constantly happening then surely that is a problem with our other players and not Wilshere. It's not like they only meet just before the kick-off
  • Hamstew said:

I thought Anderson was brilliant last night

He very subtly controlled the game. He didn’t really exert himself but it felt like he was trying to give us some control. He was trying to move it quickly with limited touches before passing while others were dawdling. Maybe some of the passes were Hollywood but he was also trying to be incisive. In that period in the second half when we seemed to have possession forever, Anderson often popped up and was trying to be the forward force.
  • MIAHammer said:

Imo:
    I prefer him to Wilshere in the sense that he keeps his passes simple and makes sure they find a man nine times out of ten rather than Wilshere's one-touch flicks and quick-passes when players aren't ready or expecting what he's going to do.

If this is constantly happening then surely that is a problem with our other players and not Wilshere. It's not like they only meet just before the kick-off
    Up to a point yes you're right but sometimes he should be playing that simple pass rather than the one-touch passes and flicks (even if our players are on their toes expecting it).
  • Injured, according to Pellegrini, but I did also see the rumour that he missed Watford due to illness

Why would there be a rumour that contradicts what the manager says, and why would people give it credence?

I can't understand that.
This discussion has been closed.