Newport County V West Ham Tues 27th Aug Carabao Cup 2nd Rd. A cup run or Plonkers at Rodney Parade?

Comments

• Told ya :clown:
  • To be fair Antonio has been very good back end of last season & start of this. Will be missed on current form.
  • MrsGrey said:

Good result, obvs, but a sketchy performance, particularly in the first half.

Not sure any of these players are threatening the first team any time soon.

Not even Anderson or Diop?

Or Balbuena that many want instead of Ogbonna?
    Anderson and Diop are already first team players.

Balbuena did ok, and I'd have him in over Ogbonna.

But Zaba and Cresswell don't look like displacing Fredericks and Masuaku. Sanchez isn't threatening Rice. Snodgrass and Fornals did well in patches but will they get picked ahead of Noble and Lanzini? Ajeti over Haller?

• Lukerz :ok:

Players dip in form sometimes, for various reasons .

I think thats applicable also to Cressers.
  • Colchester lol
  • :biggrin:
  • Cresswells dip in form has lasted about 3 years now though
  • Millwall and Leeds knocked out too.

Shame that...
  • edited August 2019
    :hmm: my wife says my dip in form is about the same :biggrin:
  • edited August 2019
    Butland channelling his inner Adrian.

Dirty Lids out, Stoke through.

:puzzled:
  • Wilshere is a really good player. Keeps going, struggled first half, still keeps going, shows for the balls, drives the play forward, gives it away, shows for the ball again, gets a good goal, then runs the show second half.

Him & Fornals scoring were the main positives & the back four did what they had to to get the clean sheet. Main thing was not getting any further injuries after Antonio’s one & winning the game. Thought we controlled the whole second half.
  • edited August 2019

Cresswells dip in form has lasted about 3 years now though

Including him getting his only England cap in November 2016?
  • Palace lose, Millwall lose, Crawley beat Norwich :lol: wonderful
  • Today’s win makes it three birthday wins in a row for me

2008 vs Macclesfield
    2013 vs Cheltenham
    2019 vs Newport

And my first* birthday clean sheet

*my spreadsheet only goes back to 1994-5 season
  • Grimsby abandoned half time waterlogged :lol:
  • Remember winning 5-1 at Grimsby in the pouring rain in April, Cross scored 4 & Pike got the other one.
  • Comfortable win with a few scares, which is to be expected. Good for Wilshere and Fornals to score and a good runout for all concerned. Shame about Antonio but not a major blow. Upwards and onwards.
  • edited August 2019
    Pelle actually spoke about Wishire after the game for praise, and also had special mention for Sanchez, he did fair, against a team a few leagues below us, not sure his performance deserved special praise.... oh dear Pelle!! are u being real, Pelle loves Sanchez for sure !!:doh:
  • Is Sanchez a confidence player... You know the performance of players can be night and day when they feel the love.

Also in real terms this is his first season learning Pelles ways..

And he is all we've got...
  • Sanchez poor pass set up the goal tho
  • I think we possibly need to take stock of yesterday’s game and put it in context

Newport are a tough nut to crack for PL sides and of late other sides have struggled to do so.

Even aside from Newport, PL sides often need to drag themselves through such games and it isn’t always pretty

We put in an effective if not inspiring performance and came through with a clean sheet - that’s good enough for me

It is the next league game where I’ll be more concerned about how well we play, etc.
  • Cuz1 said:

Sanchez poor pass set up the goal tho

I’m not sure making the best of an error fills me with joy.

I thought he was poor in this game.
  • IronHerb said:

Shame about Antonio but not a major blow.

I think this is a major blow as he has made the difference in recent games and gave us that extra edge.
  • In many ways it was a typical cup match away at a lower league team.They huffed an puffed and ruffled our feathers in the first half and we were very lucky to go in one up.
    Second half, apart from the odd scare we were in control.
    No complaints, and good for some of those players to get a proper game in their legs.
  • Seen some nsgative comments on Twitter towards Snodgrass. I thought he was one of our best players in the second half.
  • alderz said:

Today’s win makes it three birthday wins in a row for me

Happy birthday for yesterday, alderz.
  • edited August 2019
    I actually thought Snodgrass struggled a bit. It's interesting as this game seems to have given people such mixed views on players performances.
  • alderz :champagne: :cake:
  • I actually thought we did fine. We were dominant in possession and did the job.

That was basically our second team and we avoided another cup upset.

I'll take another lower league team in the draw again and hopefully enjoy a cup run
This discussion has been closed.