Newport County V West Ham Tues 27th Aug Carabao Cup 2nd Rd. A cup run or Plonkers at Rodney Parade?

Comments

• is it me or is Hernandez ill quite a lot? :hmm:
  • edited August 2019
    Injured, according to Pellegrini, but I did also see the rumour that he missed Watford due to illness
  • I just had a look on Transfermarkt, but it doesn't seem to mention illness as an injury type. In his 2 season (and two games) there have been 7 times when he's been recorded as "Not In Squad", without it being directly attributed to an injury.

In total:
    - 37 starts
    - 26 sub appearances
    - 8 times as an unused sub
    - 12 games missed through injury
    - 7 games "not in squad"
    - 1 game missed due to an international match

Total: 91 games, unavailable/not selected for 22% of them.
  • I cant be certain it just seems like I have heard it a few times before.
  • ham :ok:

I feel like he has been too, but I'm not sure if it's just a perception thing? If we assume that all those 'not in squad' games are illness then it does rack up a bit, but I don't know that they were.

I know he definitely missed a few games with glandular fever last year, but I feel like it's more than that for some reason.
  • He had glandular fever not so long ago which, apparently, can flare up again.
  • I hope they’ve all watched the Wimbledon game back in preparation for this. They wanted it so much more than us and we can’t afford that against a good Newport side.
  • I don't want it to be too far from our first choice XI, because I want us to take the competition seriously. However...

1. I expect to see Roberto play. The whole point of having an experienced #2 is that he can step in when necessary. If he hasn't played all season he won't be much use to us when we need him, so playing in the cups is useful.

2. I want to see Ajeti play. I want to know what sort of player he is, and the sooner he gets some minutes the better for him.

3. If there are players whose fitness needs managing then I don't want unnecessary risks.
  • edited August 2019
    Roberto
    Johnson - Balbuena - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Noble - Wilshere
    Yarmolenko - Antonio - Fornals
    Ajeti

Fabianski, Cardoso, Zabaleta, Sanchez, Snodgrass, Lanzini, Haller

Surely we can put out a side like that? Masuaku has only started 2 games, Balbuena 1, Wilshere 2, Noble 1, Antonio 1, Fornals 1, Yarmolenko 1. That keeps the core quite strong whilst resting Fabianski, Fredericks, Diop, Rice, Haller, Anderson, Lanzini etc.

I would want the likes of Lanzini on the bench though, plus Haller if Chicharito is missing.

Noble starting is a must for me. He will ensure the attitude is spot on.
  • edited August 2019
    Having said that he stared the Wimbledon debacle, so maybe not!

Can’t believe the side that day was:

Adrian
    Antonio - Diop - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Diangana - Noble - Obiang - Snodgrass
    Hernandez - Carroll

3-0 down just after HT.

Shows you that making changes, even if still a strong side, is risky.
  • Collins.
  • I'd give Zabaleta a run out, give him the armband and rest Noble for Norwich.

Zab has been captain 5 times, lost 4-0 and 2-1 against Man City, 2-2 draw with Brighton, 1-1 draw with Huddersfield and 4-2 win against Burnley.

Despite the horror of Wimbledon I think we've got the depth of squad to beat Newport.

And I won't get to see any of it because once again I am working...
  • edited August 2019
    Team tonight is:

Roberto
    Zabaleta - Balbuena - Diop - Cresswell
    Sanchez - Snodgrass
    Antonio - Wilshere - Fornals
    Ajeti

Noble, Haller, Anderson, Rice, Coventry, Johnson on the bench.
  • edited August 2019
    That’s the team I would have gone for. Although maybe Johnson instead, as I want him to be given an opportunity.
  • Is that a team of full internationals?

(Answers self .. no.)
  • Should be good enough ,But on the other hand ....................................... :sofa:
  • Would've liked to see Yarmolenko as he needs competitive minutes

But other than that I think it's a pretty good XI
  • So before kick off who thinks that team is good enough, I do but thought the same thing against afc Wimbledon as I’ve said attitude
  • Not a bad team except I would replace Sanchez with :wotsits:
  • I hope Sanchez has a good game .Like it or not looks like we are going to need him this season and once he pulls on the shirt ,He becomes one of us :pray:
  • edited August 2019
    From the club blog...

would Sky or the BBC tell you that the Newport fans are lightheartedly ribbing Declan Rice from the stands while he warms up (much to Dec's amusement, as he smiles and applauds the singing), or that captain Mark Noble has got his kit and boots on and is out there with his teammates, despite not being part of the matchday 18?

:lol:

Note, despite what Lukerz said
    Lukerz said:

Noble, Haller, Anderson, Rice, Coventry, Johnson on the bench.

club site has no Noble, but = Ogbonna.

Club media team could have got it wrong, obvs.
  • edited August 2019
    Palace v Colchester, tonight.
    Norwich v Crawley.

:sofa:
  • Crewe are playing Villa.

Villa have a player called Marvelous Nakamba.

:bowdown:
  • Here we go...

COYI
  • MrsGrey said:

Palace v Colchester, tonight.
    Norwich v Crawley.

:sofa:

Could have gone to watch Crawley but The Hammers are the box :wahoo:

Loss
  • edited August 2019
    slow start from us....Antonio injured, does not look :nonono:
  • edited August 2019