Watford Away 24th August. Let’s start the Bank Holiday with a Bang!

Comments

• Lukerz said:

We have our big players back.

Watford are missing theirs.

Most things point to a West Ham win.

And yet...

I would normally agree, yet the experts point to a Watford win, so I am confident!
    Speaking of which, has he backed Liverpool to win in his predictions? Ah yes, so he has.

Twonk.
  • Hamstew said:

Because of their start the six pointer coming up after our game and the hard games after that.

But that doesn’t make it ‘must’ win. They could lose this and a couple of games after it and still finish anywhere.

We lost our first 4 games last year and could easily have finished 7th.
  • edited August 2019
    It’s must win because that’s the mentality any professional footballer should approach a game with.

We played away at Spurs last season like it was a season defining game. We played away at Cardiff like ‘well there’s always next week’.
  • Lukerz said:

It’s must win because that’s the mentality any professional footballer should approach a game with.

We played away at Spurs last season like it was a season defining game. We played away at Cardiff like ‘well there’s always next week’.

But we aren’t professional footballers, so why would we be talking about it as a must-win?

Of course the players should be focused on winning. But the fans talking about it being must-win isn’t at all connected to the players’ mentality. It’s just pure hyperbole.
  • Lukerz said:

We have our big players back.

Watford are missing theirs.

Most things point to a West Ham win.

And yet...

I would normally agree, yet the experts point to a Watford win, so I am confident!
    Speaking of which, has he backed Liverpool to win in his predictions? Ah yes, so he has.

Twonk.
    I think I read that he hasn’t predicted Liverpool to lose for something like two years.
  • edited August 2019
    No not from my viewpoint. It’s only must win in the context of a scenario. It we want 4 points by the end of today, it’s must-win. If we want to move up several places in the table, it’s must-win. In the context of the season, depending on what our aims are, it’s not must-win.

I am not talking about my view. I am saying the players should be turning up today thinking ‘nothing less than 3 points’, the equivalent of a ‘must-win’.
  • So it’s a must win if our aim for the day is to win the game? Agreed...
  • Lukerz

But as Jorderz pointed out, there are at least two meanings to 'must win'.

I agree, I would expect our players to go into every game expecting to give their all, and do everything they can to win.

However, when fans say 'must win', ' otherwise it's a disaster/we're doomed' is usually implicit.

I'm in with the first definition, but not the second.
  • edited August 2019
    But I’m not saying it’s a disaster.

I’m saying the mentality needs to be ‘we must win this game’. That way we go into it giving everything to win it.

I hate the mentality ‘it’s not must-win as we have another 35 games’.
  • But do you think that’s a useful mentality for the fans to have?

I think we all agree we want the players to think that way, otherwise they run the risk of losing their competitive edge.
  • Anyway, 1-3. Haller x2 and Lanzini.
  • Lukerz

Then we're not disagreeing.

You are asking for the first definition, which I think we would all expect.

What some of us are arguing against is the second definition.
  • edited August 2019
    Welll I never mentioned the fans saying it's a must win. Their manager will certainly see it as a must win imo. Especially as we have a habit of being extremely soft centered at times.
  • edited August 2019
    Ex says there are some players who make their first starts of the season today? :hmm:

Nobes & Yarmolenko?

Fabianski
    Fredericks - Balbuena - Diop - Masuaku
    Rice - Noble
    Yarmolenko - Lanzini - Anderson
    Haller

Maybe?
  • I'd be surprised if Nobes is fit to start.
  • Noble will start if passed fit. He’ll demand it.
  • edited August 2019
    ???

We know what Nobes is like. If he is fit he will want to start. That’s what I mean. He will know his body & we need him in the side. I’m certain Pelle will too.
  • He’ll say he wants to play, yeah.

I don’t think he’ll be going to Pelle and making demands :puzzled:
  • No he won’t but he will play is what I mean.
  • Johnson for Fredericks maybe?
  • Or Fornals starting, maybe?

Edit: Just remembered he started last week.
  • I’m sure Masuaku will start.
  • Apparently ogbonna starts :doh:
  • Fabianski, Fredericks, Ogbonna, Diop, Masuaku, Rice, Noble, Yarmolenko, Lanzini, Anderson and Haller.
  • Good side, apart from Ogbonna instead of Balbuena. Don't really understand that.

But forward line is about as good as it gets.
  • Wilshere not even on the bench.

Fitness issue, you would assume.

Oh, and Ogbonna starting? Not the right call, IMO.
  • I cannot believe Balbuena is being kept out of the team by Ogbonna
  • I don’t understand that either or why, unless Balbuena is injured, you’d keep changing the CB paring. It makes no sense.
  • One can only assume Oggy is ripping it up in training.
This discussion has been closed.