Transfer Deadline Day

Comments

• Ex reporting that we've accepted a bid for Hernandez :hmm:
  • It’s a shame if it’s true. His stats are pretty good. Disappointing to lose him but I expect I am in the minority.
  • The problem we have with Hernandez is paying £140k a week for a bit part player. He doesn't fit in Pellegrini's preferred formation and will only ever get 20 minutes if we're chasing a game.

Out of contract in the summer so I can understand the club wanting to take the £8m for him.

However, unless we have a free signing lined up, we're going to have only two strikers until January at the earliest. With our injury record that's a huge risk.
  • How long is Antonio out for?
  • He clearly wants to go he put in a transfer request so £8 mil for a player on £140 k a week that’s barely plays is ok business
  • MrsGrey said:

How long is Antonio out for?

I read somewhere its reported to be 3 months.
  • Hernandez and Antonio gone we only have 2 strikers...

With what 4 PL games between them...

:hmm:
  • edited August 2019
    I've read ' up to 3 months' but that's just reporting how long it might be if it's a bad hamstring injury.

As far as I know (hence my question) there's been nothing confirmed about the injury. (Scan yesterday?)

Without knowing what the extent of the injury is, we are all just whistling in the dark.

I may have missed something, so if anyone has anything more concrete, let us know as the club hasn't put anything up on the website yet. :tumbleweed:
  • Come on Mrs G. It's West Ham. Of course it'll be three months :lol:
  • With Hernandez off the books we probably dropped over 500k in wages per wee from all the business done over summer.
  • It’s obvious Hernandez wants to leave. Maybe it’s a risk letting him go, but on the other side, is it not also risky having a moaner hanging around an otherwise pretty positive dressing-room?
  • Even if we signed an out of contract striker, we wouldn’t be able to play them as we have named our PL squad
  • It’s a shame he wants to leave, but he is a real luxury with the squad we now have, and he’s too good for 20 minutes here and there and cup matches. I’m a big fan of his, but if he goes, then I wish him all the very best.
  • Frees up some wages and if we get a decent fee we can maybe sign someone in January
  • Guess it's happening then

• I can’t see the footballing logic in letting him go now. Especially when Antonio may be out for a while. If Haller gets injured we’ll be down to Ajeti
  • literally have to hope Haller is good until Jan. To hopefully recruit someone.
  • a lot of wages lost over the summer, so more than enough wiggle room to do business in Jan.
  • Rumours are another reported target Santiago Ascacibar is due to move tomorrow. So that is 2 players we were allegedly going to try to buy in January will have gone elsewhere. As they say he who hesitates is lost!
  • Can we recall diangana or hugill
  • edited September 2019
    Meh. We don’t play well with Hernandez up top on his own anyway. Honestly, I don’t think it’s a big loss.

He’s decent coming off the bench but he’s on too much money to be a substitute.
  • Adam said:

Meh. We don’t play well with Hernandez up top on his own anyway. Honestly, I don’t think it’s a big loss.

He’s decent coming off the bench but he’s on too much money to be a substitute.

I'm inclined to agree, but with our injury record it's a huge risk to trust Haller to stay fit for four months.

I'd be ok with it if we had a couple of U23 strikers to fall back on until January, but they all seem to be injured at the moment.

I guess Yarmolenko could do a job there if push came to shove, because Ajeti is untested in the PL and Antonio is likely to be out for a while.
  • He doesn't look very enthusiastic about it, does he?
    I was a supporter until he started with dying his hair and getting ill. We have Ajeti to do his job.
    If Haller is injured, Marky can fill in, no problem :whistle:
    The West Ham Way
  • He looks like he is on a school trip and his mum has packed him some sandwiches and a drink for his rucksack
  • edited September 2019
    I get why people are concerned, but, imo, he simply doesn't work well as the lone striker as Pelle sets us up: we don't create chances for him and he doesn't really do the defensive side of things, so he is a passenger for much of the game. I would have him as 3rd choice, behind Haller and Ajeti, and can see how getting some money for him, and clearing his wages, would be tempting for the club. And it was reported all summer that he was actively looking for a move, so keeping him and having another potential sulk on our hands would probably not be good.

He's a good player, and a good goal-scorer, but he has never really worked out with us.
  • Surely that should be #SomosSevilla ;)
  • Fundamentally I agree with your views Grey. He did chip in with the odd goal now and then. But I am fed up with disruptive players (Arnie, payet). Also always seemed a but light weight imo. Where as people bounce off Haller.

• I don’t think he was disruptive. He said quite openly that it had been agreed that he could leave but if it didn’t happen then so be it.