Hammers ⚒ v Man City - “AND IT’S LIVE”

Comments

• I remember Wilshire played in a deeper role for England before his injury. He played well in this position and if I remember correctly scored a couple of great long range goals.

Put him next to Rice against City and it could work.

Surely he also played in a two at Bournemouth as they usually line up 442
  • Really really hope Fabianski is fit in time for this game!

Doesn't look like it.
  • The league table makes depressing reading, we’re in the relegation zone before we’ve even kicked a ball. :biggrin:
  • Wilshere has played as a CM in a 4-2-3-1 a few times for us, what I've seen of him has been less than impressive.
  • With Arsenal, Wilshere carried the ball too much and too far, and was tackled and injured as a result. Unless he changes, he won't be a lot of use helping Rice out. I'm hoping the West Ham Way teaches him better habits ;)
  • With Arsenal, Wilshere carried the ball too much and too far, and was tackled and injured as a result. Unless he changes, he won't be a lot of use helping Rice out. I'm hoping the West Ham Way teaches him better habits ;)

That is the main worry with Wilshere as a CM. But he does seem to keep it more often than not. When at the top of his game, the ball is like a magnet to his feet.

But losing it after dribbling forward is going to leave us in trouble once he vacates that position.
  • Against Bilbao I think he sat back a fair amount and released quickly to one of the three CAMs.

I agree, I hope he stays as deep as possible alongside Rice, as the three behind the striker have more than enough talent to cause damage to anybody, especially with the overlapping full-backs and Haller to play off.
  • Perhaps the wind will blow in our favour.... :bowdown:
  • Against Bilbao I think he sat back a fair amount and released quickly to one of the three CAMs.

I agree, I hope he stays as deep as possible alongside Rice, as the three behind the striker have more than enough talent to cause damage to anybody, especially with the overlapping full-backs and Haller to play off.

I think he needs to stay back but make quick, early passes forward to our attacking midfielders to catch the opposition on the break. Only very occasionally when the opportunity presents itself should he be charging forwards.
  • Ex has said Fab has been declared fit for Saturday :wahoo:
  • edited August 2019
    Great news
  • I hope Haller is ready to do battle because I can see a few 50 yarders coming at him. Hopefully Lanzini / Fornals / Anderson will be prepared to do the hard yards.
  • I found it interesting that Fornals was replaced at half time by Antonio in the final pre-season game, & it was not injury related.

Suggested to me Pelle is considering going with that second half side on Saturday, or he was undecided in any case.

Antonio playing behind Haller would certainly give us a real option on the break, would help take advantage of their high line & last season he really caused them issues even though we ended up losing 0-4. He should have had a couple.

Would be harsh on Fornals, but his time will come. I would be tempted to go with Antonio for this one.
  • The one thing that I am excited about is seeing Haller bully defences, he really is a unit. As someone said earlier, what Carroll should/could have been.
  • From what I've seen, Haller combines the abilities of :ac: and Arnie. What I have really enjoyed is how well he plays in others, so even if he doesn't score, he is likely to assist, or at least set up chances.
  • Haller is certainly looking the full Geoff Hurst.
  • Lawton has it as 1-2 and Charlie Nicholas has it as 0-3 and says we lost Arnie our best player and Pelle hasn’t done the business this transfer window. Do you think he wrote that a few weeks ago.
  • We used to sing a song about Charlie Nicholas.

It seems we were correct in our assessment.
  • “Even though they lost Arnautovic, they still have Paulo Di Canio and Paulo Wanchope to cover for the lost goals.”
  • He must be back on the sauce.
  • If either Fredericks or Masuaku aren't fit for this match, I really hope we go for Johnson as second choice in either of these positions.
  • I’m excited and terrified in equal measure :wahoo:
  • Rumours circulating on Twitter that Antonio starts.
  • Considering the way we moved the ball around in the first half against Bilbao, I have to say I’ll be baffled if Antonio started ahead of any of Fornals, Lanzini or Anderson.
  • We are going to try and get away with 4-4-3 :whistle:

• Considering the way we moved the ball around in the first half against Bilbao, I have to say I’ll be baffled if Antonio started ahead of any of Fornals, Lanzini or Anderson.

We won’t have the ball though.
  • Not if we don’t play people who can keep hold of it
  • edited August 2019
    A shock home win

COYI
  • edited August 2019
    I personally don’t think it’s a bad ploy. Antonio off of Haller. We have to cause them problems going the other way. Antonio’s pace on the break will cause their high line issues & it allows us to try and be compact & get everybody behind the ball. I personally would like to see the three who have played in pre-season, but I can see the logic of it in a one-off game against a team poor City. A more direct approach to Haller with Antonio running off him will cause them issues with the wind today.

Whether Fornals plays or not, we are going to have around 35% of the ball.
  • Bring it on. :wahoo:
This discussion has been closed.