Kids going to the toilet during class.

I will be a nqt teaching yr 5. I am planning on not letting them go to the toilet during class time. Opinions ?

Comments

• Hope you've got a mop handy.
  • MrsGrey said:

Hope you've got a mop handy.

For 9 and 10 year olds ? Surely they can hold it for an hr or 2 till playtime /lunch /hometime?
  • I'm confused why you have joined this forum to ask that question, tbh.

I'm also wondering how, if you are a NQT, this issue didn't come up, and get dealt with, in your training.
    Jorderz_Moyes_will_be_MoyesSuzanneClaretMrsGrey
  • I am planning on not letting them go to the toilet during class time.

They may have other plans.
    MarkNobleLocalHero
  • edited August 3

I'm confused why you have joined this forum to ask that question, tbh.

I'm also wondering how, if you are a NQT, this issue didn't come up, and get dealt with, in your training.

Lol I know an odd question , but I joined whu606 for footballing reasons just thought I would ask anyway.

It was the one thing I struggled with in training, kids take the mickey.
  • Missamy

I edited your post and sent you a message explaining why I did.

As to the OP - imo, you are better off waiting and asking what your school's policy is. Whatever anyone on here night think, that is what will count.
    MissamyMoojor
  • Missamy

I edited your post and sent you a message explaining why I did.

As to the OP - imo, you are better off waiting and asking what your school's policy is. Whatever anyone on here night think, that is what will count.

School has a policy of leaving it to the discretion of the teacher.
    Seeing as I struggled in a training I thought I would introduce a go at break time rule unless of course they have a bladder problem.
  • Lets be honest about it... If children aged 9/10 need to visit the toilet once between breaks (or even twice!) it's hardly likely to affect their grades or what secondary school (if they're still called secondary schools) they attend. Or their future careers! It may even enhance if they plan on working in the sewage industry :wink:

Rather than imposing toilet bans, perhaps work on forming a bond with the class so they actually want to stay in the room rather than escape to the toilet....
    grey_til_I_dyeSuzanneClaretMoojor
  • edited August 3
    Assuming their Yr 4 teacher is still in post, check with them. As Baz suggested, you are better off waiting to see the makeup of your class, and form a relationship with them, rather than be certain from the off what your response will be.
  • I think the parents may have something to say about not letting children use the toilet
    MrsGreyMoojor
  • Find out what teams the children support then you'll probably get an idea of which ones are taking the mick :ok:
    SuzanneClaretBazshuayiBubblesNeverDies
  • I don’t understand why you would not allow someone, child or not, to go to the toilet during a class.

But I teach adults.
    MrsGrey
  • I would ban them moving and obviously talking also
    SuzanneClaret
  • Just make sure they leave their mobile phone on your desk. I am led to understand that this does wonders for weak bladders.
    SuzanneClaretBubblesNeverDies
  • Anyway welcome and congratulations on winning "The most random thread ever opened" award.
    SuzanneClaretMrsGreygrey_til_I_dyeJorderz_Moyes_will_be_MoyesianbishoplegendPrestonHammerExpat_HammerBubblesNeverDies
  • Missamy said:

MrsGrey said:

Hope you've got a mop handy.

For 9 and 10 year olds ? Surely they can hold it for an hr or 2 till playtime /lunch /hometime?
    I think 2 hours is too long. In all seriousness, my suggestion is that you are less acommodating after lunch or break, but allow it - without encouraging it - at other times. You'll soon spot who tries it on. If you refuse a reasonable request, you'll only risk making more trouble for yourself.

SuzanneClaret
  • A half decent teacher will know very quickly whose swinging the lead and who is not.
  • :ok: Which isn't to say they get permission to go straight away - they have to wait for a convenient point in the lesson
    SuzanneClaret
  • edited August 3
    Well, in my humble opinion, bringing this back to an on football position. I could always go 45 minutes without needing a comfort break. I’m pretty sure the likes of Moore, Brooking, Bonds and Di Canio could do the same. Not so sure about Arnie, Payet and Uncle fester. I believe they all relieved themselves at our expense in a monumental way.
    SuzanneClaretironmike44whupathman
  • Excellent.
  • Bring back the birch or cat of nine tails lol
  • Depends if they have a medical condition or not, some.may end up dehydrated so they can obey, which imapct their concentration worse than a loo break