The Ashes

Comments

• Think apart from and labrachang excuse the spelling , the other Aussies average 19 between them
  • Labuschagne I meant lol
  • edited September 2019
    Roy bowled through the gate, again, 3rd wicket down.

Huge amount resting on Stokes and Denley now, I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just can't see a repeat of 2 weeks ago (the heroics I mean, although that would just be for a draw this time, not a win).
  • Oh dear, Stokes out trying to leave one, 74-4
  • Bairstow gone, 6 down :weep:
  • Buttler and Overton see us through till tea with only 6 down, still a big ask to get through the final session.
  • Poor by Buttler, leaves one and it takes the top off his off stump
  • As the ashes are now gone again let’s get a decent captain and a proper wicket keeper in place for the meaningless 5th test.
    To be honest we’ve been outplayed the whole series. The Aussies have had a plan and stuck to it but we’ve not had a plan at all.
  • edited September 2019
    To be fair there was not a lot in this series between the sides other than the truly World Class ability of Smith to score runs. He has won them the Ashes & as a result of his consistent performances the Aussies deservedly kept the urn. Both sides bowled well & both sides had shortcomings with their batting (combo of poor play, technical issues & excellent, disciplined bowling).

England always seemed to be playing catch up right from the off, but that was pretty much solely down to Smith.
  • Smith was the standout batsman by a country mile between the two very mediocre batting sides but Australia’s bowling attack was far superior to ours. Apart from our front line pace men we have no backup at all.
  • Smith single handedly won it for them.
  • Any truth in the rumour that in honour of smiths great ashes, they are modernising the urn by sanding down the stumps used this year :biggrin:
  • I read somewhere (is this really true?) that never in his whole first class career has Jason Roy batted for more than two consecutive sessions. And he is picked as a test match batsman.

Absolutely staggering if true.
  • #no need to be coy roy
  • Baracks I’ve no idea if that’s true or not as its not easy to find out although batting for more than two successive sessions is not that easy for most players.
    What is true though is having moved him down the order to 4 (although I think he usually bats at 6) in the last test, in the second innings he actually faced his first ball earlier than if he’d opened.
  • True thorn he faced the bowling before joe Denly did who opened
  • Saw a piece in one of the papers today where based on averages a combined team would have 7 English and four Aussies in it
  • Am I allowed to suggest that Stokes effort in the third test doesn’t quite eclipse Botham in 1981.

Mainly on the basis that Botham’s effort was the catalyst for winning the Ashes as it floored Australia in the remainder of the series. Whereas this did not happen this time round. Winning or retaining the urn takes ultimate precedence?
  • Botham didn't win that game single handedly, Willis took 8 for 43 to win the match, but Stokes pretty much did.
    Not only his innings but the 15 over spell that stopped the Aussies batting us out of the game when Archer was off the field.
  • Whilst I agree, there’s a reason it is known as Botham’s Ashes, and tbh this year will he remembered as Smith’s not Stokes’
  • I still wouldn’t put Stokes above Botham as magnificent as it was. I also wouldn’t put it above VVS Laxman v Steve Waugh’s Australia at Eden Gardens either.
  • I am at the oval, and I just met James Collins and my heart is beating very fast
  • It will beat even faster after you’ve bumped into Herb
  • Doesn’t matter which bowlers the Aussies bring in they can rip through us.
  • If marsh gets you out you know you got problems he’s a trundler
  • He's a 21st century Mark Ealham and yet he's running through our batsman like Mitch Johnson.

Terrible performance again from England.
  • Cricket still going on. :nonono:

When do they ever stop?
  • When did we ever start
  • I had fun tbh