The Ashes

Comments

• I think this innings just about tops Botham in ‘81,Sir Ian had nothing to lose when he started that knock as we were completely out of the game.It was really only as his innings developed that a little bit of hope emerged, and then of course there came Bob Willis’s heroics.
    The innings by Stokes was different as he was our ONLY hope and to do what he did under the most immense pressure was truly other worldly.
    I’m glad I’ve been around long enough to witness them both.
  • Was listening to TMS on Friday and the late graven dilley was being interviewed reference the game and said one of the things botham asked him was have you checked out of the hotel yet :lol:
  • Can you believe that Ben Stokes’ summer has been so good that I even forgot about that catch against South Africa
  • Tru dat :ok:
  • alderz said:

Can you believe that Ben Stokes’ summer has been so good that I even forgot about that catch against South Africa

No way! You cannot do that alderz :whistle:
  • So, who's dropping Roy for Old Trafford?

I'd be tempted to bring Anderson in, and pick Woakes primarily as a batsman (he can't be any worse than Roy at the moment) as well as cover if Jimmy breaks down again.

Denly may as well open, as he's usually in within 6 overs anyway, so I'd probably go:

Burns
    Denly
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Bairstow
    Woakes
    Archer
    Broad
    Leach
    Anderson

Risky having Stokes in at 4, but I'm not convinced that bringing Sibley in to open is the right thing to do in a crucial game. Likewise replacing an out-of-form Buttler wiht Pope.

This way we still bat to 7 but have good bowling options. To work it would need the top 4 to bat like top 4 test batsmen, which they've all proven they can do in this series (Burns has a century and a 50, Denly a 50, Root 77 last time out and of course Stokes' two centuries), and for Bairstow and Buttler to step up.
  • I wouldn't move Stokes.
    We need to protect Root from the new ball so I would put Denly in at three and bring in Sibley who is the leading run scorer in the country as well as being an opener.
    I'm really unsure about Andersons fitness. He's playing a 2nd X1 game but needs to bowl a decent number of overs. Not interested in his match stats just the overs bowled. If that works out then he's probably in for Woakes as we don't need six bowlers (famous last words :biggrin: ).

Burns
    Sibley
    Denly
    Root
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Archer
    Broad
    Leach
    Anderson

If Denly is to open then it would be Pope in at six for me with Bairstow batting at four.

Burns
    Denly
    Root
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Pope
    Buttler
    Archer
    Broad
    Leach
    Anderson
  • Move Root to 4, put Bairstow in at 3. There is a reason Smith / Kohli and the rest of the best batsman in the world all bat at 4. To get the best out of Root he needs to be in at 4.

I would be willing to chuck Woakes in higher up the order and bring in Anderson for Roy.

I am not sure you can go into a must win Ashes test with an untried Sibley.

With Smith back for the Aussies, having as many bowlers as we can to negate him is more important. Smith can carry the Aussies to victory. I don't have faith in our batting line up personally to say we should be looking at posting big totals as I don't see it and its unlikely we will see another freak performance from Stokes.
    England's best bet is to essentially out-bowl Australia because outside of Smith the Aussies are as bang average batting wise as England.
  • Yeah, Anderson's fitness is a concern. Almost too big a risk, given what's at stake.

I like Sibley, and wouldn't be adverse to him playing, but it's a big step up from county cricket to facing Cummins, Hazlewood and Pattinson tearing in. I'm not convinced a vital Ashes test match is the best introduction for an untested batsman in such a key position.
  • edited August 2019
    Can we not move Roy down the order? I don't think he would be a bad shout batting with the all-rounders when the ball is old & the bowlers tire. Or, after a collapse where we are 3/4 down with not many runs on the board, he is a good counter attacking option. I just don't think he has the technique for an opener when the new ball is moving.

Burns
    Denly
    Root
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Roy
    Woakes
    Archer
    Broad
    Leach
    Anderson

Or if you don't want to weaken an already fragile batting, you leave Anderson out for Buttler.

Bringing in a newbie at this stage of the series is a massive risk.
  • I wouldn't mind seeing Roy in at 5 and moving Bairstow to 3 and then Denly and Burns opening. Root at 4 and Stokes at 6.
  • With Smith back for the Aussies, having as many bowlers as we can to negate him is more important. Smith can carry the Aussies to victory. I don't have faith in our batting line up personally to say we should be looking at posting big totals as I don't see it and its unlikely we will see another freak performance from Stokes.
    England's best bet is to essentially out-bowl Australia because outside of Smith the Aussies are as bang average batting wise as England.

Labushagne, as well. In three innings he's scored 59, 74 and 80. If him and Smith get in there's the potential of a 200+ partnership.
  • Roy is not a red ball opening batsman. He should be moved down the order and Denley open again. Sibley may be the leading run scorer in county cricket at the moment but he won’t have faced bowlers of the Aussie calibre or any other test quality at that.
    I think Buttler is shot at the moment so I’d bring in Foakes and let Bairstow just bat.
  • Yeold, it's not a must win match. A not lose yes but not a must win. Too much of that on this board. ;)
  • Roy is a great white ball batsman but not a red ball cricketer. He rarely plays for Surrey and when he does he's in the middle order.
    A big call to blood a newbie for sure but he can't be as bad as Roy. You need your openers to stay there for 15-20 overs not worrying about runs but taking the shine and hardness off the ball and wearing down the fast bowlers.
    The Aussies have sussed Woakes batting and just pepper him with short balls which, reasonably enough, he can't really handle.
    Be interesting what the selectors come up with.
  • It's not only Woakes against the short ball, the Aussies also target Burns with it.
    The problem with Burns is his very chest-on stance which makes it difficult for him to sway out of the way, so instead he fends the ball and ends up getting an edge off the shoulder of the bat or gloving it.
    As for Roy, Ricky Ponting said during the 2nd. test that he didn't think he was good enough technically for Test cricket. If you watch his dismissals it's hard to argue with that.
  • edited August 2019
    He's a banger, is Roy. Always has been. Will never be a Test match cricketer, IMO.

Whatever happens in this series, I think Sibley should be on the SA tour and given a chance to make that opening slot his own.
  • Anderson is out of the series so Woakes will keep his place imo. It's all about Roy.
  • I think Stokes should open the batting and bowling,keep wicket, field at first slip and deep fine leg, umpire, roll the wicket, commentate for TMS and the rest can chip in when he wants them.
  • Overton for Woakes the only change
  • Good start from Broad, but Archer is a bit wayward so far.

34-2 with Smith and Labuschagne in. These two hold the key. Australia will either be 250-2 by stumps or all out for 150 before tea.
  • So yeah, the first one then
  • Just been watching story of a genius about KP what do people think about him on here
  • Cuz1 said:

Just been watching story of a genius about KP what do people think about him on here

KP ...... he was nuts

:yercoat:

:run:

:sofa:
  • edited September 2019
    He was a genius IMO, but as with certain other talents in other sports, personality wise he was certainly “interesting” and a little controversial

He has my utmost respect because in spite of being an attacking and destructive batsman, he was actually at his best in test cricket, which for me is the highest form of the game
  • Barracks I agree he should and could have had more centuries than cook
  • (Plagiarised from BBC website)

Would it be constitutionally acceptable to prorogue Steve Smith until mid-October?

:lol:
  • So, who's looking forward the the South Africa tour in the winter
  • Steve Smith has scored a third of all Australia's runs in the Ashes so far
  • And he hasn’t even batted in 3 of the 7 completed innings!