Women's World Cup

Comments

• USA score again :weep:
  • But if they win, imagine how annoyed Trump will be.

#silverlining
  • Not great so far,still giving the ball away far too easily.Still, only one goal in it........
  • Yeo :biggrin:
  • Great save.

This is very stressful.

:ale:

:gin
  • Goal :wahoo:

2-2

Hand me that gin!
  • It’s gone to VAR

:sofa:
  • Goal cancelled by VAR.

Offside.

:weep:

• edited July 2019
    Poxy VAR
  • Not poxy VAR!
  • Well it just gave us a pen.
  • Weak pen
  • Pen was poor.

‘Keeper dived the right way.

ENG 1-2 USA
  • Hardly a clear and obvious error, was it?
  • It’s going from bad to worse.
  • Can you imagine the men get a penalty in the semi final of the World Cup and we let Harry McGuire or John Stones take it. Unbelievable!
  • We are now down to 10 women.

/over

:puzzled:
  • It’s like professionals against novices
  • edited July 2019
    How bad is the captain? She can’t pass a ball 5 yards yet steps up to take a penalty from 12 yard?
  • Can you imagine the men get a penalty in the semi final of the World Cup and we let Harry McGuire or John Stones take it. Unbelievable!

Yeah, don't get that really. Ellen White is bang on form and full of confidence. Surely she should have taken it.
  • BBC keep putting up stats showing how many more passes we made than them but 75% of them were to Americans.
    Easy to see why the US are best in the world
  • Well that second half had the lot didn’t it?By far the better team won.
    Ah well,cricket tomorrow. :whistle:
  • I enjoyed the first half, open play with good touches and both teams playing positive stuff but the second half was poor, I get it was hot and the players looked exhausted but sooooo many balls given away needlessly or kicked aimlessly.

VAR both giveth and taketh away, our goal was correctly ruled offside but everything about the penalty was poor, the decision and the execution, not sure how that could be given as even with VAR it was tricky to see exactly what contact was made.

Bright was pretty poor overall but unlucky to be sent off, to my eye she clearly got the ball.

At the end of the day you have to hand it the US team, the better team won the day.

• Slacker said:

Well that second half had the lot didn’t it?By far the better team won.
    Ah well,cricket tomorrow. :whistle:

It just gets worse doesn't it
  • I do agree that the penalty was terrible, the moment she paused after the whistle I thought this isn't going to go well. However I can fully understand her taking it if we rewind back to the way she found a not much bigger than a football size gap to fire beyond the whole Cameroon team on the line during our last sixteen match. Today I think she lost it in her head rather than her ability to take a penalty.

I think a penalty taker needs both superb technique but also nerves of steel. Penalties are easy on the training ground, don't present too many problems when you are 2-0 up in a match, but when behind in a tournament or a penalty shoot out, that's different, that needs a different calibre of penalty taker. Noble has it and of course Ray Stewart had it but I recall when I used to play for a team and we had a superb striker, far better than the rest of us if being fair and could score some goals that wouldn't of been out of place in stadiums that people would pay to enter, yet would never even take a penalty. He was brilliant in motion but once the match stopped as it does for a penalty his head would kick in and by his own admission he couldn't do it.
  • Steph Houghton has been excellent for the whole tournament with a very weak central defensive partner, IMO. Yes, her penalty was dreadful, but she has a history of being very good at penalties. I personally would have wanted Ellen White taking it, but I don't know if she takes them or not.
  • I do hope there is no great rush to start dishing out MBEs, OBEs off the back of what has been (to me) a par performance at best in the World Cup. A number of England’s opponents were either part time or lacking in basic infrastructure in their country so rightly we should have beaten them. The first serious test was failed (the Japan game Was a good performance, however both sides had already qualified by then). Even Phil Neville considered not reacting the final as failure. England largely rode off the back of the excellent Ellen White who must have put away every opportunity that came her way - lethal.

I still think the men’s endeavours were overegged somewhat - we only managed to beat the mighty Sweden and Columbia in the knock outs and lost to Croatia and Belgium (twice)
  • Not far off though. Look how far they have come in 10 years. Give it 10 more and who knows.
  • I thought they did themselves and us proud.