Play-offs for Champo and EFL

Comments

• As long as you know the rules before you start then it's fine, especially if you voted for them.
  • Herb

Although, of course, many of the clubs now in the Championship wouldn't have been the ones taking the vote.

It would almost always get carried in a vote, of course, since it gives lesser teams a second chance at promotion.

It's the fact they get such a chance I see as unfair.
  • I like them, it got us out of the Championship twice and days out a Wembley and two at Cardiff
  • If it stops Leeds coming up then its fine with me :whistle:
  • I have an idea for Europa League qualification.

We should:
    1. Give the first place to whoever finishes 5th in the league
    2. Give the second place to whoever wins the FA Cup
    3. 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th then should have a playoff for the final place

I agree playoffs aren't fair but they aren't going away so let's have more of them, I say.
  • In truth I like the play offs in that they are exciting and seeing that everyone knows the rules going into the season and actually voted in favor of them, I am not sure I agree that they should be considered as unfair.

However, giving a trophy to the team that wins the play off final seems faintly ridiculous.

Pleased for Derby and Frank now all I need for domestic bliss is Sunderland to pull it off.

:pray:
  • My mate brought a new tv for the play off final, but when he opened the box there was no leads
  • Cuz, I'll get the door for you

:yercoat:
  • edited May 2019
    Grey, can you make a "reaction" that means more than the "thumbs up" so I can give it to your last post. :biggrin: Edit: I mean your last but one post.
    The whole point as you have said revolves around what is fair.
    I can't understand how anyone can think that it's fair that a team that finished 6th with 9 points fewer than the 3rd placed team can still be promoted ahead of said 3rd placed team. :nonono:
  • Bubbles I agree it’s not fair but would we be saying that if each time we got up via the playoffs we hadn’t finished third.
  • The only reason we have these unfair play offs is Money.
  • Thorn, to be honest, I would be saying that. But of course it will never happen will it ;) :pray:
  • The view of unfairness seems clear at he end of the season, however, going into the season with no points on the board, each and every team has an equal chance of being advantaged by the system, no-one really knows how they are going to finish up.

The play offs do not just give a chance to those outside the top three, they also provide a valuable incentive to the top two to push on right to the end as securing that second automatic promotion spot is soooo valuable.

Maybe I am a touch naive but is it all about money, the play off system provides all the clubs involved, those aspiring to reach the play offs and those scared of falling back into them with a real incentive to push on and have something to play for.

I recently watched a game over here where neither team had anything to play for and it was literally the dreariest thing I have ever witnessed.
  • Playoffs are nothing new.

When the 2nd Division was created in 1892 the top three teams played ''test matches'' against the bottom three teams of the 1st Division to decide who was promoted/relegated.

The current system is certainly more about the money but the club's voted for it and the fans seem to enjoy a rare chance to visit Wembley.
  • With Relegation battles and the play offs there are few games where there is little to play for from either side, arguably, although a Premier game so there was placement money on the line, our last game against Watford was one such game and although I was delighted to finish the season with a great result, at least in my mind, it was still an odd game.
  • edited May 2019
    Personnaily I really enjoyed our play off victory and Wembley day out.

I think it's the only bit of silverware we've won for quite a while.. Noble will only have that medal in his cupboard when he retires...
  • Bubbles in 2005 we finished 6th and beat Ipswich and then Preston. I wasn’t clamouring for Ipswich to go up as it was only fair. The playoffs that year seemed fair to me. :biggrin:
  • I think Fans like big matches, where there is a big prize, and the fans of teams involved with the play offs really get a big match. It also keeps the leagues themselves more lively for longer as probably anywhere up to the last few games there are maybe 10 teams with still a chance of making the four play off matches. Without them the season of many teams will likely be over by February.
  • Without a play-off system you would have 6th-14th with nothing to play for after Xmas.
  • Teams may have a different mentality knowing there are no playoffs though. Knowing that they need to be pushing from the off.
  • Ham

:ok:

Lukerz

Then they should be any better.

All play-offs do is reward mediocrity.

Why penalise the third best team in the league over 46 games to 'keep interest' for lesser teams?
  • edited May 2019
    but sometimes the teams vhying are just 1 or 2 points below the 3rd placed team, we only know that ref's decisions can change the points tally dramatically , well until VAR..imo its the right way to go about things, if ur 3rd, u were not among the best 2 , then u need to show u are the 3rd best, & if not, then carry on in the championship....
  • Sorry, jay, don't see how that works. You could apply the same logic to those finishing 2nd or 1st.

For me, if there are three promotion spots, the top three go up.

• Charlton have made a cracking start :wahoo:
  • Oh no :nonono: Doony have scored
  • Charlton through on pens and Cullen scored his

• Well done Mark :doh:
  • Kieran Sadlier scores the one after Cullen. He was with us as a youth too