Play-offs for Champo and EFL

Comments

• I used to know a Leeds fan called Homer Murphy, possibly the nicest bloke I've ever met. He's sadly missed by the regulars at my local.
  • Living up to their reputation so far
  • Bamford's dived twice now and rightly booked
  • There's someone called Jayden Bogle :biggrin:
  • Leeds have gone to pieces.

Now 3-1 down on the night and behind in the tie.
  • 3-2 and back to all square.
  • Do Derby do defending?
  • Oh look, a Leeds player getting sent off
  • Derby lead again.

What a game this has been
  • Another goal.

Scenes.
  • Derby have a player sent off now.

Mayhem.
  • And that's that.

Leeds condemned to another season in the Champo.
  • :biggrin:
  • Thoroughly entertaining 2nd leg between Leeds and Derby, but absolutely unfair.

Leeds finished 9 points ahead of Derby, but somehow that doesn't count.
  • Snigger. Fair does not count where Leeds are concerned. Billy bremner, don revie, tassels on their socks. I know the 1970s was a long time ago, but it still feels like yesterday when they get turned over.
  • Fat Frank or John Terry back in the Premier League. Great.
  • grey,

That's the Play Offs but it doesn't make it any fairer. :ok:

They probably need to reward you with a better chance of promotion if you finish higher in the League like they do in the National League.
  • That's the third time Leeds have beaten Derby this season so I reckon they're good for the final.

IronHerb said:

But Derby are getting closer.

:whistle:
  • grey,

That's the Play Offs but it doesn't make it any fairer. :ok:

They probably need to reward you with a better chance of promotion if you finish higher in the League like they do in the National League.

They already do. 3rd place plays 6th, which in theory is an advantage. But how often do we see teams that have a late surge and nick 6th go on to make the final.

I've never agreed with the play offs and do have a shred of sympathy for Leeds, but promotion was in their hands during the season and they blew it.
  • Fortune

:ok:

I've always felt the playoffs completely undermined the idea of league football.

Why 3-6?

Why not just 3-4, or 3,4, and any two of the non-relegated sides, to be chosen by lottery?

Or, you could have 3-10 play a mini-league...

Or, and this is clearly a stupid idea, you could accept the end result of playing 46 games, and simply promote the 3rd placed side...
  • Apparently derby fans singing your not spying anymore bless em and fair play to lampard junior love or hate he’s done a good job there
  • Who remembers when bottom 2 were relegated and top 2 promoted and then the third bottom in First Div (now PL) had a playoff with third placed in Div 2(now Champo) to see who got the other place.
    Charlton survived on at least one occasion.
    Play offs now are just a money spinner like everything else in football these days.
  • I for one am happy to see Derby into the final and am pleased for Fat Frank. He did get some dogs abuse from a fair number of fans which I remember and a lot of it was not deserved :yercoat:
  • Could be quite ironic if he returned to West Ham as a manager (not of us).
  • They should do 3rd and 4th place get a home game against 5th and 6th no second legs a one off game would give them a bit of an advantage
  • They should just promote the teams who over the season gained the most points.
  • But the Clubs voted for this as far as I can remember. It was done to maintain interest longer into the season for both promotion and relegation.
  • edited May 2019
    Also allows a club who has overachieved a shot at the big time.

A club may overachieve & have a brilliant season & finish 6th, knowing full well they have a chance of gaining promotion. That club may have spent nothing in comparison to the club who finished 3rd.

I don’t buy the ‘unfair on the third team’. It’s not unfair. Two go up, they didn’t finish in the top 2. They get a second chance. If they are good
    enough, they would win the two-legged tie. I appreciate the final is a bit more of a lottery.
  • Herb

I can see exactly why clubs voted for it, but it still isn't fair. It's like having a 10 000 metres race, and on the last lap making the third placed runner jog on the spot until the 4th-6th placed runners have caught up, then having a sprint to the finish.

Lukerz

I can't see how it is possibly fair to give a club not good enough to be in the top 3 of the Championship a shot at being in the PL. It might be 'exciting', it might be good TV, but it isn't by any criteria fair.

Leagues are (or should be) based on merit/achievement over a season.

If there are three promotion places, the top three get them.

Anything else is a nonsense.

• edited May 2019
    Money. It's all about money.

The FA don't care about fair; only about the revenue the Play Offs creates.