Watford v Hammers 🛠 Season Finale - how does it end???

12346»

Comments

• Most satisfying for me is we finally have an almost reliable back 5, and then with Rice shielding in front.If there are no injuries early on next season we could really challenge for top 6, I reckon. Maybe 1 striker and 1 wide attacking player are all we really need. 2019/2020 will be the year of the Hammers, indubitably.
  • Challenging for the top six is very unlikely, IMO.

I want top 10, positive goal difference, and three players with double figures for goals.
  • Pellegrini has said top 8. Which is where i think we need to get to regularly
  • I’d like a cup final please.

10th or 8th doesn’t bother me much.
  • edited May 2019
    Taking cups more seriously will do me (and 8th).
  • I will take today and 4 - 1 to finish top half
    Mon the hammers
  • Fantastic end to the season

Sums up what we already know, with a fully fit first XI we have a very very good team

What we struggle is lack of quality depth, and we fall apart if we have a couple injuries

Noble has shown hes got another couple years left in him & Rice is going from strength to strength

We may sell Arnie, but if we dont we have a player who for the 3rd season on the trot has scored double figures and is about as good as we can get...but past him we've struggled up front

Anderson, Diop & Balbuena haven't always had it their way but all 3 have been quality additions and we look much better when they are firing

Fab has been one of our best ever transfers

Antonio and Masuaku look like they've done enough to show Pellegrini they are good options, as has Frederick's who's done well after a long time out injured

We still have some passengers that can do with moving on to bring in some money (Perez, Ogbonna & Obaing come to mind)

I think Pellgrini is the right man for us

A dynamic centre midfielder, a starting LB and a new striker and we could build on a solid debut for Manu
  • For me that was very strange game, great result and I will of course take it but overall it was just a little bit weird.

Some nice takeaways, hopefully we can keep Wilshere fit, I think he could be a key player for us next year and hopefully Yarmolenko will make it back as he will seem like a new player assuming he also remains fit, I know.........

I love Zab but on this showing he probably would not have been offered a new extension to his contract, he was really poor.

Overall I thought that Watford were unlucky, the red card seemed harsh to me, they had numerous chances in the first half and I think our two goal lead at HT flattered us, we seemed very lackluster in the second half and yet we came away with the points and what the history books will show a comfortable win.

Antonio was a beast, was really pleased with Nobles goals, especially the first, but Lanzini was wasteful and failed to impress, although he scored, Arnie also got one but also looked like he lacked confidence.

For me, a great result to. What should be considered a decent season, but a strange game nonetheless.

Fab was simply fab, naturally.

• edited May 2019
    It was an odd game. As a lot of our games have been, it was very open. We were clinical (as we have been a lot this season), they dominated up until the red card, after the red card we were comfortable because, well we have good players. Fabianski didn’t have to do too much, though, given the amount of the ball they had.

Few observations. I see Arnie appears to have relinquished penalty duties. At the start he was on them even when Noble was on the pitch. I wonder if Pelle has done that as a result of his antics in January?

Antonio looks to be adding a bit of finesse to his game. Wonder if that is any influence from Pelle? Are they maybe having an influence & improving him as a player? Seems to be vastly improved over the last few weeks. Masuaku is also showing some real good signs. Even though he can be 50-50, I think all our best games this season have had him as LB.

Anderson did a lot of good tracking back. That clearance in the second half was very good.

Still not sure about Lanzini. Glad he got his goal but again didn’t do an awful lot for me. Think he’s had an easy ride for a while.

Zabaleta? We’ll let him off that as he has been good this season, but that was the Zabaleta of last season again in that second half.

Happy with the season though. The only thing that spoilt it for me was that display in the FA Cup. Had that not happened it would have been an almost perfect transition season. Only 2 points off the top 8. Not bad at all.
  • :hmm: I remember Nobes letting Arnie take 1 penalty (it was clear he was still the designated pen. taker though).

Was Arnie really on penalty duty? I must have forgotten that....
  • Lukerz

Noble mentioned at the time that he gave the pen to Arnie because he wanted him to get a goal/confidence.

Pretty sure it was Nobes as our designated pen taker.
  • Holebas's red card has been overturned.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48259948
  • It was a foul and it was denying a goal scoring opportunity. But it would have been a shame to have missed the final because of a premier league game.
  • and would probably have been further punished if it had been us appealing :angry:
  • Interesting in that there was nothing really material resting on the game, the cynical side of me is wondering if the decision would have been overturned if our result directly impacted someone’s relegation, can you imagine the uproar......
  • ....or if it wasn't an upcoming cup final....
This discussion has been closed.