Hammers ⚒ v Southampton 4/5/19 - Match Thread

124»

Comments

• No other team outside the top six has scored as many goals at home as West Ham’s 32 and they end the season with 31 home points, up on 25 and then 27 in their first two seasons in their new home.

The green shoots of progress?
  • happy happy joy joy, I will mostly change my background screen on my work PC to red in honour of the spud that sits next to me
  • Cracking performance considering we had no Rice or Anderson. The defence has finally looked settled and if everyone is fit we only have to strengthen with 1 wide attacking player and 1 striker. Not sure what Sanchez gives us so goodbye to him and Carroll and Perez, and maybe Hernandez unless he is happy just to be a sub.
  • Noble was our man of the match for me yesterday, another cracking performance.
    For all those ready to see him out the door imo he is good to go for another season and probably more. Not sure why Pelle takes him of in the last 10 minutes of almost every game lately.
    Obiang took his opportunity and put in a good shift and Fredericks is looking like the player we thought we had bought a year ago.
  • If we're losing AC, I'd keep Perez. He's a decent player, IMO.
  • I’d actually have Perez ahead of Hernandez as well. Particularly, when taking into account wages, which I think can be better spent on someone else.
  • Was a decent performance glad to see Fredericks flourishing
  • Just had a look at previous end of season tables.

So our current points tally of 49 would have been enough to get you 8th last season, with only 1 team outside the top 6 finishing with 50 points or more (Burnley, 54).

This season, we have currently 4 teams on 50 points or more, which could potentially end as 5, outside the top 6, & 49 points may see you finish 12th.

The 2016/17 season would have seen you finish 8th with 49 points, with only Everton in 7th finishing with more than 50 (61), outside the top six.

The 2015/16 season was slightly different, with at least 50 points required to finish in the top 10 (so similar to this season). Chelsea finished 10th with 50 points. Liverpool finished 8th with 60. Leicester won the league. So a slightly odd season.

2014/15 saw 49 points get you 10th. Over 50 points got you into the top 9. .

2013/14 saw 50 points get you into the top 9.

2012/13 saw 49 points get you 8th, with nobody outside the top 7 breaching the 50 point mark.

So I suppose what I draw from this is in the last six seasons, 49 points was good enough to get you into the top 10, but being around 50 points was nearly always good enough to be in that top 9.

So the fact we could finish 11th with 50 points, or even 12th with 49, that is a pretty unusual scenario.

So, I suppose, whatever happens at Watford & weather we do end up 9th or 12th, 49 points plus is a pretty good points return considering last year we had 42 & the year before 45.
  • But not if we finish below Palace
  • When Palace finish above West Ham

• Lukerz, it is an even better points tally when you consider we had 0 out of a possible 12 after 4 matches !
  • But we had 4 points after 6 games which was the same as last season.
  • I think 0 after 4 is more demoralising for the team than 4 out of 6.
  • Yes, but that was 0 after 3 to start with.
  • I always feel that a season with no relegation worries is my benchmark for an acceptable top flight season. For me a good season is a positive goal difference. Anything much better than that and I am ecstatic. I guess that’s the legacy of supporting this club for over 50 years! Experience colours expectations.
  • Top 8 next year needed for me if we are to show the progression expected following our move to the London Stadium.
  • I want more points next season than this season, and I want a + goal difference. If we get those things we’ll be comfortably in the top half and I’ll be happy with that
  • No relegation threat and beat spurs in their new home, a good season for me
  • All we need now is for the gooners to win europa and stop spuddos getting into th CL
  • Expat

Don't think that is what happens.

AfaIk, the PL would end up with 5 teams in the CL if Arsenal won it.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47806720

If either [Chelsea/Arsenal] win the tournament, they will qualify for next season's Champions League group stages.

If the winners finish outside the top four in the Premier League, it will mean five English teams will be in the Champions League.
  • Expat

Don't think that is what happens.

AfaIk, the PL would end up with 5 teams in the CL if Arsenal won it.

Nooooooooooo
This discussion has been closed.