Spurs v West Ham 27/04/19 - Match Thread

Comments

• Spurs fans and I include a good friend of mine and have told him so are deluded, they bang on about how good poch his well what’s he won ? Nothing they have lost 12 games this year and it’s only because Chelsea manure and arsenal have been poorer that they sit in third place, I really pray they do not win the champions league
  • It's the arrogance. They have no reason to be so. They win zip
  • Yeah yeah and on another day next month you could have won the Champions league.....but you wont.
  • Many good managers never won silverware though.
  • The top 6 teams are in 4 competitions each season.

At least 2 of them can't win anything in any season.

I'm happy to laugh at the pretensions of some Spurs fans, but there is no doubt they are part of the top group of clubs in the PL, and to get to a CL semi-final seems to me to be a pretty impressive achievement.

Like the other 3 of the top 6, they are a very long way behind Citeh and Liverpool, and may never close that gap, but I'd say Pochettino has done pretty well by them.

If we were in their position, I wouldn't consider this or other recent seasons a failure.
  • Poch isn't the best manager ever but he's done an awful lot with what he's had. We often see people asking whether managers like Pep or Mourinho could've achieved what they had with few resources. Well, Poch has taken his team to the CL semi-finals and had them competing in the top 4 consistently without anything like what those around him have been spending. They might be there because Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal have dipped but all of those teams have had established managers and spent more money. Poch has been better than them. Yeah, they're annoying but Poch is probably the least annoying part about them.
  • John Donne (he of "no man is an island") also said "Comparisons are odious".
    In the following example I have to disagree.
    Compare this with our forum
    https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/the-mighty-spurs-v-west-ham-12-30-k-o-27th-april.31268/
    Caution: extremely foul language :nonono:

Our site simply oozes class and taste, like Watney's Red Barrel to Fuller's ESB or Budweiser (US version) to Adnam's Broadside. :scarf:

This is even better now, they’ve gone the full hog of emotions, starting on us the first 40 pages, then realizing it was “happening again”, before turning on each other, the gift that keeps on giving
  • Think I read somewhere that he’d spent 252 million in his time there, I’m not saying he’s a bad manager just pointing out for all that they have achieved they have won nothing, there expectations are obviously higher than ours but until they have won anything I’d prefer silence
  • He’s spent that in 5 years though? So what, 50m a season? In current day that’s not a lot, it’s half what we spent in the summer
  • Next level... that's what it is really, isn't it.... consistently in the top 6, challenging for the few honours that aren't enough to go round.
  • I think he's a good manager and they are a decent side who have done things the right way. However the arrogance of their fans that I have experienced is on another level. When they actually haven't won anything.
  • It is slightly strange, I have never really had a problem with the club or team as such, it has always been the fans, whilst with Chelsea, it is all about the team and club and less so their fans.

Trying not to think to hard about it :hmm:
  • edited April 2019
    IMO Poch is a decent manager, on a level way below the top few...
    However I also feel he is a very bad loser, which he's getting use to..
    I know that can be said about many managers but I don't buy his clean cut image at all, Like when we beat him, it was because Spurs were fatigued/The disgusting manner he " verbally " attacked Mike Dean and his assistants after that Burnley game, Bad loser, he IMO is a bit above average.
  • I have had a revelation.

Spurs fans' belief that they hold a special place in our minds stems from their feeling of inadequacy compared to Arsenal and Chelsea. They can't match them for success so instead they've invented the idea that our games with them are our "cup final" in order to support the idea that they are a "big club".

At least I suppose it helps them forget that apart from the League Cup they've not been in a proper cup final since 1991.
  • We do look 10 times better with Snodgrass in the middle. Him to the left of Rice, with Noble to the right, is a nice, balanced trio. Yes it can be improved upon going forwards. But it’s a pretty good three with good technical ability on the ball.

I am still struggling to see where we can incorporate Lanzini into this side unless we play him out wide. I don’t think him being in Snograss’ place gives us the same structure in front of the back four. Unless we play Anderson wide right & Lanzini comes in off the left.
  • You play him instead of Noble in that three.
  • Lanzini doesn't offer enough defensively to play in a central midfield three.

Either he plays wide or we play with just two in central midfielder against weaker opposition and Lanzini plays behind the striker.
  • I personally don’t think we can have him anywhere in the central area if Anderson is also playing.
  • I think that Lanzini can play in a 3 but only if the other two are proper DMs. Noble is too box to box to have Lanzini in a 3, IMO.

More like a 4-2-3-1 than a 4-1-4-1
  • Alderz :ok: Which is why CM is a key position for us in the summer. Get a top class partner for Rice in midfield and we may be able to have Anderson, Lanzini and Yarmolenko in behind a striker.

I don't think Noble, Snodgrass or Obiang are consistently good enough to afford us such a luxury.
  • This may sound like heresy, but I honestly don't think Lanzini is anything but a luxury.

His occasional brilliance seems to mask what is, imo, an awful lot of dross.

I appreciate that this season he is coming back from a bad injury, but overall, I don't think his contributions even in other seasons have been nearly as consistently 'impactful' as say Anderson's.

Noble was outstanding in MF on Saturday, and some of his passing would still be being discussed on Sky if it had been produced by one of their favourites.

It's easy to dismiss Marky Mark, or Snodgrass, as 'plucky triers' and 'not at the top level', but I'll take consistent effort over occasional brilliance all season long.
  • Gonna have a field day when Lanzini is PFA player of the season next year
  • I like Lanzini, and think he's better than some are making out on here

But I do think that an 'industrious' midfield trio is the way forward right now, just look too fragile when we line up with a 2 man midfield and 4 attackers

Think he's a good option to have as technically he is very good and is a goal threat from midfield, an area we don't get loads of goals from

• Hamstew said:

Gonna have a field day when Lanzini is PFA player of the season next year

• :clownhorn:
  • It's fine bring it on. Even more fuel.
  • Lanzini is an excellent player but he's not best suited to the 3-man central midfield that has been our best formation this season.

As for midfielders we've currently got Noble, Rice, Snodgrass, Obiang, Wilshere and Sanchez to cover three starting positions, if Obiang leaves in the summer then we'll need another CM but at the moment we're pretty much full.
This discussion has been closed.