Chelsea away. 8pm Monday 8th April Live on Sky Sports

1235»

Comments

• edited April 2019
    Lanzini is a big problem for us. We all believe he is the best player. He doesn’t win us many games, or contribute defensively, but he isn’t a wide player either, so has to play as a 10. Is he consistent enough to claim that spot & be a nailed on starter?

When is he out of contract? Is it worth considering a sale?
  • I think I know what Ham's answer will be...
  • I have a feeling, but I haven`t seen the replay, that Cresswell was challenging for the ball in the right back area just before the goal. I seem to remember thinking "what the hell" just as Hazard received the ball unmarked.
  • Lanzini signed a 4-year deal in 2016.
  • Lanzini when fully fit & has games behind him makes our team tick, while I agree his form has been average since returning, not being funny but has any player apart from Fab and perhaps Rice been otherwise....Lanzini IMO can only be judged properly next season...
  • I also thought Oggie had a decent game. I know Hazard skipped past him for the wonder goal, but I think Hazards mazy run had him a little glassy eyed.

If he hadn't picked up the yellow card so early, he could have made a more robust effort to tackle him. He had to let him go - I thought that at the time and noticed his facial expression afterwards seemed to be a 'well, I had no choice' kind of look towards one of the other players.

(Not sure on this - will have to look back - but I think he could have avoided the yellow card if Rice had made a good tackle - my recollection is that he was mopping up someone else's mistake.... :hmm: )
  • edited April 2019
    OCS

Well, one advantage of the move has been that 20 000 more fans per home game get to watch the team live (soon to be 25 000)

That probably ought to count for something.

As should the fact that any U16 can still get a season ticket for under £100.

(And the toilets...)
  • Well I'm gonna give Lanzini the benefit of the doubt considering this is effectively his preseason. Not really his fault Nasri is constantly injured.
  • Fair comment Grey, and undeniably true, but I don't believe that's why we moved; more a benefit of it.

The primary reason we were given for the move was to attract world class players and compete for honours, but we're are as far from that as were at the Boleyn, IMO.
  • OCS - feel your point but we are only in the second season of the move.

We can't change a 100years in 2 imo.

It's positioned us to grow is the best I think we can say for now.
  • OCS

I can't remember if that was actually the reason given.

My hazy recollection was that it was meant to take us to 'the next level'.

They certainly promoted the 'affordable football' side.

I can't imagine anyone seriously expected that the move would make us top 6 candidates.
  • You can’t blame Oggy or Rocky for the first goal but Noble ran away and Rice was a bit half hearted. Hazard himself said afterwards that once he gets in the area it’s difficult for defenders to tackle him as if he’s touched he’ll go down and it’s a penalty.
  • edited April 2019
    It's also the way he moves.

He shimmies, and at some point the defender has to make a decision about which way to try and go, and as he moves, Hazard is already going the other way.

I gt fed up last night listening to the co-comm (?Andy Hinchcliffe) go on about what a wonderful goal it was AND how West Ham could have defended it better.

If it was poor defending, it wasn't such a great goal.

Imo, it was a great goal.
  • I can't imagine anyone seriously expected that the move would make us top 6 candidates.

Top six. I expected with all the sales pitch for us to be challenging for the Champions League! :whistle:
  • Fortune

In which case, may I interest you in this bridge, one careful owner... :wink:
  • Hazard wouldn't have scored his 'wonder goal' in the 2nd half, IMO: Rice would have been central, & Snodgrass where Rice was (in the 1st half) Leaving that channel down the middle was due to the formation we used. The goal was Pelle's fault! :whistle:
  • Oh, and :cake: for anyone who understood that! Not perfectly expressed... editing needed
  • :cake: Thankyou.
This discussion has been closed.