International Break Games Discussion

Comments

• Wasn’t it 1-1 though.
  • League Cup 3-2. COYI
  • Josh Cullen in the senior Irish squad, but doesn't start today's match.
  • And is the Sean Maguire currently playing the one who was with us as a kid for a while?
  • It is, Mrs G ;ok
  • And not forgetting Dazzer! coyi
  • Several papers reporting this morning that Declan will start tonights game.
  • Confirmed with sky sports might watch it now lol
  • Just seen the England team..

Southgates team selections are a breath of fresh air after the dark says of Hodgson...
  • That anthem though. Desultory.
  • Ooh, this one's much more jaunty! Cymbals!
  • We really have the dullest national anthem. I think Billy Connolly had it right, we should have the theme music for "The Archers".
  • DULLEST and every time it come to Long to reign over us I cringe...
  • Imust say, this England team. Is refreshing to watch. How often in the past would England have actually camped out in the opposition half?
    You could see on Friday that winning 1-0 or 2-0 wasn't enough. I can't see them lie back here, either.

The players are hungry for success and if they can continue playing together for a while the sky's the limit.
  • What the :nonono:
  • Rice spoken highly of by wright and Cole not just us that believe
  • England certainly won't be missing out on goal difference.
  • Well that was fun...

Watching England is becoming consistently enjoyable....

:nonono:
  • I know :biggrin:

Second game in a row I haven’t wanted to poke my eyes out with knitting needle :wahoo:
  • edited March 2019

Can't disagree with that.
  • Crikey, another decent (ish) display. The only criticism I have, and it does appear to be how all teams are currently playing, but I find the sideways and backwards passing a little frustrating at times. And this won`t be a popular view, but, I thought Declan was fantastic when the opposition had the ball, he covers well, reads the game well and is excellent at snuffing out danger. However, when we are in possession I don`t think he makes himself available enough, he doesn`t demand the ball enough or find those little pockets of space between players. There were times, especially when the ball was out wide with the fullbacks, that I thought Declan could have supported better, made himself available inside. Seems a little harsh given that was his first start, but I thought he tended to ball watch a bit when we were in possession. Sorry.
  • he was okay his passing stat is a bit interesting, a few passes he made seemed to bisect the fullback and winger and just lucky one of them made the play backward or forward to get the ball.

Didn't do much wrong though, was a solid performance. I think if he did have any nerves he will have shaken those off after this weeks international games.
  • Untill Henderson come one, he was basically a one man MF, Barkley vacated any defensive duty.

In that context I think he did well and did try to move forward when we attacked.

For me he already offers more that Dier.
  • Well my other half was not too pleased about the football that I watched last night, and can't blame her really. First we had so called experts for 45mins before the
    kick off, then we had 45mins of England dominating the game, then more studio
    twaddle during the interval, followed by the second half which was so one sided
    it became boring. Then after the news we had all the highlights for another hour.
  • edited March 2019
    Lanzini wasn't even on the bench for Argentina's 3-1 loss to Venezuela (Rondon scored). No word why, fingers crossed.

Guess who Argentina's head coach is?

Lionel Scaloni.

He was Jorge Sampaoli assistant manager at Sevilla and when Sampaoli was given the Argentinian job he took Scaloni with him. Sampaoli left after Argentina's disappointing World Cup, Scaloni was made joint caretaker with Pablo Almar and then given the job full time in November.

Hope he does well (despite 2006 and all that).
  • I thought we got a bit bent out of shape, discipline wise, when Henderson replaced Kane on the pitch and as captain.

Although I did think the ref was a bit yellow card happy.
  • edited March 2019
    Agree with madcap, I thought Declan was hiding a lot during the game. Often sat between two Montenegro players which made it impossible for anybody to consider playing it to him. Unless that was an instruction from the management. I thought he did well but he is 10 times better than that in a claret & blue shirt. His off the ball work was pretty good, though.

I’m sure it was quite a nervy & daunting occasion for him.
  • edited March 2019
    If he goes forward and we lose possession we don't have a DM. Not so bad when you have Henderson or Dier there with him as one will drop back.
  • edited March 2019
    Deccers didn't fare too well on the BBC ratings. Lot of ROI voters, I'd guess... ;)

https://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47699851