West Ham vs Huddersfield. Sat 16th Mar 3.00

12346»

Comments

• I've seen that celebration in FIFA. I want to say Benteke used to do it before he retired.
  • edited March 2019
    Mrs G I guess Pelle needs to get them to concentrate more on not going behind so often. Still a worrying fact that Fab has made the most saves in the PL this season which suggests a) that he’s playing very well but b) we are letting opponents have too many shots.
  • Anyway someone mentioned they wanted clown pics.
  • The celebration is something Lebron does, I think. That’s where Benteke got it from
  • edited March 2019
    Even though I don’t think Arnie has done much wrong since coming back into the squad following that China stuff, is there a possibility the players are not keen on him playing given he wanted to leave in January? Just noticed the significant improvement after he went off on Saturday. Might just be coincidence, & we were just going for it with nothing to lose, but he wasn’t involved in that comeback, & surely it would be natural for team-mates to think ‘you don’t want to be here’. We’ve hardly played well in any of the time he has been on the pitch since all that stuff started.

Hernandez is a funny one. We all know when he isn’t scoring he doesn’t do much, but he got two on Saturday, was poor at Cardiff (so were the whole team), won the penalty for the second goal against Newcastle, then there was his involvement in the Fulham game with the equaliser, he didn’t play against City...

He does seem to get involved in stuff (some of it bad, like the diving), but I think he is the one we may as well play between now & the summer because he may be our only proper striker come the summer. He has got some important goals this season & he tends to always get key goals. Not third or fourth goals in 4-0 wins but winners, equalisers, opens the scoring etc. He averages a goal every 165 minutes this season, only Lucas Perez has a better record (128). Which also begs the question whether we should give Perez one last chance to stake a claim in the final 7 games?

I think, a bit like Nolan, we accept he doesn’t offer too much outside the box but his in box poaching & movement is first class & for a club like us surely a goalscorer is invaluable.
  • edited March 2019
    I think Hernandez works well in a team that is very good at keeping possession. The team can work the ball forward between the midfielders and full backs, to then create for the striker when most of the team are in the final third (with Hernandez being in the penalty area).

I think Pellegrini wants us to be that type of side (based on his other teams) but we’re just not there yet.
  • edited March 2019
    Hernandez has scored 10 goals in the 28 Premier League starts, if you take out his substitute appearances on average its a goal every 220 minutes.

In his 22 appearances from the bench he's scored 5, one every 51 minutes.

Hernandez came on at half time but didn't get a shot on goal until he scored in the 84th minute. We didn't have an attempt on goal in the second half until Nasri came on and the first shot in 63rd minute was from Arnautovic.

Arnie has scored all his 18 league goals when he's been in the starting XI as a striker, if you ignore the games he played as a winger and his substitute appearances its a goal every 172 minutes.

I'm waiting for the spin cycle to finish...
  • edited March 2019
    Lukerz
    Just noticed the significant improvement after he (Arnie) went off on Saturday

The significant improvement began in the 59th minute when Nasri came on for Noble, not sure whether Perez for Arnie made much difference.
    Chicharito for Antonio in 45th minute was quite important too.

;wink
  • Perez touched the ball 8 times in the 27 minutes he was on.
  • ;ok BND

Nasri was the difference on Saturday.
  • Had 100% pass completion rate.
  • If his fitness level is good enough for 90 minutes then Nasri has to start against Everton - time to stop being sentimental about Noble.
  • If his fitness level is good enough for 90 minutes then Nasri has to start against Everton - time to stop being sentimental about Noble.

Lanzini and Nasri together with Rice in the centre of midfield? ;hmm
  • edited March 2019

Lukerz
    Just noticed the significant improvement after he (Arnie) went off on Saturday

The significant improvement began in the 59th minute when Nasri came on for Noble, not sure whether Perez for Arnie made much difference.
    Chicharito for Antonio in 45th minute was quite important too.

;wink

Well that significant improvement saw us go 3-1 down and remain 3-1 down until the 75th minute ;hmm

Or there’s the bit where Arnie went off, and 7 mins later we were back in the game.
  • edited March 2019
    Trying to put responsibility for a change in fortune on a single element of a complex whole is, imo, pointless. Sorry Lukerz.

The performance of a team is a complex mesh of tactics, personnel, individual strengths/weaknesses, decision making of 22 individuals, team formation, reaction/change of tactics or responsibilities of the opposing players in response to a scoreline, substitution, or decision on game management.

We went 3-1 down because we were pushing for another goal, and Huddersfield took advantage. It can be argued that was because of the shift in tactics, not personnel.

You are trying to find evidence for your theory that
    the players are not keen on him playing
    but I don't think you can. Not enough to convince me, anyway ;biggrin
  • It’s not so much a theory that needs evidence, just a musing based on the result after he went off, comments from Zabaleta, Pellegrini, Antonio, Anderson & Noble in the media, his lack of a return to the starting 11 & his form when he has played, plus starting on Saturday, coming off with the score at 1-3 & then the side going on to win 4-3 in his absence. Obviously him being removed does not cause the end outcome, just wondered if anybody else has thought ‘do the players really want him playing after everything’.
  • Plenty of us have already mentioned Nasri's quality (and its always been pretty obvious hes got it) but until recently he's been injured (on the back of not many games since he came to us). He and Lanzini both lack games and a bit of fitness I'd imagine but they are our make things happen quality ballers alongside Andersen and IMO we need to find a place in the side for all of them. As commented a while back, if we can get a new contract or instigate an extension on Nasri it'll be great business (whether he plays for us or someone comes in for him so we financially gain).He's still got plenty of years left and that time out has surely made him hungry to reestablish himself.
  • Baz ;ok

Nasri - Lanzini - Anderson
    Hernandez

Surely we can get that out on the pitch a bit more as I think the three behind the striker will get the best out of Hernandez. He needs passes in behind the defence to run onto & cut backs.
  • If those 3 cant create chances then I dont know who else (outside of top six players) can ;hmm
  • And we have Yarmalenko due back from his injury, it will feel like getting a new player
  • MrsGrey said:

Had 100% pass completion rate.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Whenever I've seen him play he's looked so comfortable in possession even in difficult/tight areas. He doesn't give the ball away much when dribbling as well as passing. I honestly see him as a much better option than Lanzini. However it's great competition to have both of them and I imagine Nasri's fitness probably isn't amazing (could be wrong here).

Also, it wasn't just the Hernandez assist that was great... it was the way he won the ball just before this goal.
  • edited March 2019
    welovethehammers
    I honestly see him as a much better option than Lanzini

Nasri's record vis a vis Manu speaks for itself.
    The only possible negative is his attitude although hopefully, given his age, he has mellowed a bit and realises that he could become a fan's favourite with us.
  • And we have Yarmalenko due back from his injury, it will feel like getting a new player
  • Sorry not having a Manu - Nasri comparison. The guy has been out for donkeys with a very serious injury. Nasri has still been able to kick a ball about.
  • Ham, sorry for the misunderstanding, I was making a pre-injury Manu and Nasri comparison.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Lanzini, but as I said Nasri's record speaks for itself.
    But what a brilliant pair they would make in midfield. ;ok
    ;scarf
  • edited March 2019
    Lol you don't need to apologize. Just my opinion I am a bit precious about Lanzini ;handbag
  • Hamstew said:

Lol you don't need to apologize. Just my opinion I am a bit precious about Lanzini ;handbag

Well, he is called ‘The Jewel’...I’ll see myself out.
This discussion has been closed.