West Ham vs Huddersfield. Sat 16th Mar 3.00

Comments

• Some of the poorest defending I have witnessed in a long time by both teams
  • Huddersfield must be poor as that was one of our worst displays lately yet we scored four goals!

As for brief comments

Diop had an off day but his marking at set pieces was stranger than an off day, he appeared a foot and half behind his player yet still jumped as if the player in front of him wasn't there.

Fabianski another good game

Hernadez showed just how much of a natural striker he is and his decision to go with his head for the last made the difference in my view, great composure.

I really like Nasri, just looks real class in possession and actually worked back quite a bit also.
  • Just back from the game.
    I've still got a big grin ;biggrin as we were awful for most of the game but still managed somehow to win.
  • happy happy joy joy
  • Man city comeback almost as good as ours ;whistle
  • edited March 2019
    Good to see Arnie celebrating with Chiq at the end.
  • I dont know how long you have to be a Hammers fan before the emotional immunity kicks in but I never stressed once throughout the game (hence the 3-2, 4-3 quips). I've become immune to being upset if we lose or play badly and its been like that for a while. Hence, no stress and no concern we'd lose and a 4-3 result showed I had no need to stress about it anyway ;wahoo

Psychologically, we perhaps are one of the teams that could easily be on the beach. Andersen has adjusted well but at the same time it does take a lot of players plenty of time to fully adjust and perhaps hes just feeling it pave and intensity wise

Pelle should be judged after the TF window and next season when essentially the team will be his and he would've had sufficient time to shape it to his style.

I personally have no issue with him and also plenty of faith he'll do a great job. I very much doubt there's anyone else out there who we could get who's better qualified and experienced anyway
  • Interesting stat from the BBC:

Mark Noble became only the third player to score 40 Premier League goals for West Ham after Paolo Di Canio (47) and Carlton Cole (41).

;bowdown Nobes
  • Noble ;clap ;clap ;bowdown
  • First 3 consecutive wins at the new stadium.
  • It's definitely got that vibe now where I feel confident of a result
  • the real issue is the lack of clown pics from Hamstew
  • Substitutions were key, especially Nasri for Noble and of course Chicharito for Antonio. Not sure if Perez for Arnie made much difference.
    Still can't work out why we do so much better against the top teams in terms of performance.
  • the real issue is the lack of clown pics from Hamstew

WHAAAAAAT!????
  • I did something today that I’ve never done before and left the game early.........when Huddersfield were 1-3 up. Lesson learned.
  • Interesting stat from the BBC:

Mark Noble became only the third player to score 40 Premier League goals for West Ham after Paolo Di Canio (47) and Carlton Cole (41).

;bowdown Nobes

Did Carlton play for us for 15 seasons ? living through it always felt like he scored 3 but missed about 30 each season!
  • ----------------- Fabianski ----------------
    --- Fredricks - Rocky - Ogbonna - Cress ---
    -------------- Snod ---- Rice --------------
    Antonio -------- Nasri -------- Anderson
    ------------------- Arnie ------------------

If not having much luck, I'd like to see Anderson in a central role. If we do this, we'd probably need to sub Nasri, move Anderson to the middle and bring on Diangana or Masuaku as a LW.

Some may have thought I'm crazy for picking Balbuena over Diop but i think yesterday's events showed why Diop should've sat that one out. I also knew Nasri would do well. Since he's come in ive preferred him to Lanzini.
  • edited March 2019
    My highlight was on the Serbian stream commentary, after the winner. See if u can spot it in the below paraphrasing! Don't try and translate it I googled some Serbian randomness.

Gooooal. Es rinka dai budite u toku sa svim sportskim dešavanjima na jednom mestu, i nikad ne pustite ni jednu Chicarito vama bitnu utakmicu ni fox in the box jednom rinka.

• edited March 2019
    I think the performance was very similar to a lot of our games this season; we seem to turn it on for segments, instead of being consistently good over the course of the game.

There have been so many occasions like this. Palace at home, where we went from
    1-0 down to 3-1 up in 20 mins. Burnley at home, Cardiff at home (0-0 to 3-0 in 15 mins), Fulham away (good 10 mins saw us go 2-0 up), Fulham at home (1-0 to 2-1).

We have had a few consistently good performances, probably as many terrible as good, we seem to often float in between. Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Newcastle away, but I think we play in segments; which obviously shows we have undoubted talent, to take the game away from the opposition in the blink of an eye, but we don’t often seem to get a grip on the game to the end from the start.

Then you get some games where we look unbreachable at the back, some where we defend for our lives & throw things in the way of everything & others where we look like the whole back four are 18 year old debutants.

Huddersfield were the better team in that game until the 75th minute. The main positive is that we only had to turn it up for that small part of the game to get 3 goals.

It was brilliant to follow the game as it went to 2-3, but what was before was so frustrating. But the West Ham way is what we want, & that is what it was. Farce followed by class.
  • Yep Rocky has to come in for someone. There is no way we can continue to leave imo our best defender on the bench when we defend like that.
  • It shows we have some spirit coming from back from 2 goals behind to go on and win . The shape seemed wrong too much space in midfield and too big gap between defence and midfield so many times it was 3 vs 3 or 2 vs 2 at the back . Still it was good to see Nasri looking quality when he came on . Arnautovic however did not look good and he really did not do enough when given a chamce
  • I thought many were booing at Perez replacing Arnie! There should be a variation of booing at those going off (BOOOO!!) and not wanting his replacement (NO!! NO!! etc), but this may be a step too far for the boo boys...
  • edited March 2019
    So, I opened the BBC football page to read our glorious match report... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football

4 articles/features on Man City, 4 on Wolves/Man U, the other 2 PL games each get a match report. Then we have EFL League 1 and 2, MLS, Scottish football, European matches, and something about a player in NZ futsal.

Was it all a dream ;puzzled
  • edited March 2019
    MrsGrey
    Quite possibly.

;biggrin

• Sadly the player in NZ futsal was one of those killed in the attack on the mosques.
  • Right at the end of the article
    The Hammers have formed a fine backbone on the pitch in Lukasz Fabianski, Issa Diop, Declan Rice, Mark Noble and Manuel Lanzini
    Lanzini has started three games but apparently he now is part of a "backbone".
    Arnautovic’s record of 18 goals in 45 Premier League starts for West Ham is respectable, but Javier Hernandez now has 15 goals in 28 league starts for the Hammers.
    A bit misleading,

While it is true that Hernandez has 15 goals and has started 28 times in the league he has only scored 10 goals as a starter with the other 5 from his 22 appearances off the bench.

Arnautovic has scored all 18 league goals as a starter but not a single goal in seven substitute appearances.

Just goes to show that anyone can write nonsense on the interweb.

Unless we are prepared to sell Arnie for less than the Chinese offered then I don't see him going anywhere no matter how much the fans boo.
  • We need Balbuena back asap

Just not a fan of Ogbonna at all, he just isn't good enough

Yes Diop hasn't looked good either, but you saw just HOW good he was when he had a proper partner, plus he has the excuse that he's still learning whereas Ogbonna is a 30 year old defender who's got Italy caps

Also I think this game highlighted the need to buy a dynamic central midfielder to partner Rice in the summer, he was woefully exposed as he is the only player who really breaks up the play in this team
  • edited March 2019
    Goals on Sunday just gave an interesting stat: West ham have salvaged more points from losing positions than any other PL team ;barrera

PS. What was that Chicarito high step goal celebration all about?
  • Don't know Mrs G, but I want to see a lot more of it. ;biggrin
This discussion has been closed.