WEST HAM away to Cardiff. Saturday 3pm KO (UK time)

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Rice hit the Post but we have been garbage. Already on the beach with 8 games to go
  • No but we were against Burnley, Bournemouth, Wimbledon and now Cardiff. There’s absolutely no excuse for it.
    Losing I can accept but not even bothering to turn up is unforgivable.
  • Only good news today is that Spurs are losing, Ward-Prowse with a tremendous free kick
  • I just don't understand this team at all. Just so excruciatingly inconsistent. Once again the players, the manager and (more fool us) the fans start to talk about 7th place again and we go to pieces against one of the worst teams in the league.
  • So, we're inconsistent, then, thorn. No great surprise, imo.

It just feels like you focus on our failings, without giving credit for our successes.

You see the glass as empty, I see it half full.
  • edited March 2019
    I think I know what our problem is. The players want the summer off and don't want to be playing Europa Cup qualifications. Every time we have a chance to close the gap on 7th we have a terrible game. Coincidence or conspiracy theory? ;hmm
  • edited March 2019
    Just seen a few posts on Twitter saying that when we turned out these types of performances under Bilic he got crucified, and that Pellegrini seems to be getting a bit of a free ride.

Can't help but agree. I know he deserves a couple of seasons to get things right, but some of our performances this season have been utterly dreadful under a man with such a strong reputation.
  • Cardifff conceded 10 in their last 3 games. Clean sheet against us.
  • All teams have inconsistencies but I’m not sure other teams just go through the motions like we do.
    I hate it when people say “they wanted it more”. That should never happen and every team in every game should give it their all which is after all what they’re paid more than a normal year’s salary every week for.
    It’s made even worse when Pelle and whichever of the players speaks up during the week come out with “they are desperate for points and it will be a hard game so we have to be at it from the start”. Come kick off they switch off and stroll around and look as if they’ve never played the game before. Give it their all and lose then so be it but today was an utter embarrassment.
  • OCS

So what's the alternative?

We give managers less than a season, and give them it in the neck if we aren't challenging for Europe?

We've played some old rubbish, and today is another example, but our best, and there has been a fair bit of it, is, imo, better than anything we've had for a while.
  • That was awful, a disgraceful performance
  • It's as if we have been jinxed since Tevezgate. The FA Cup final loss to Liverpool. Should have qualified for the Europa League but lost to Astra, then lost to Stoke the following season when we had the chance to go directly into the group stages & eventually lost to Astra again.

It's the hope that is heart breaking. ;weep
  • Champo

I'd agree with awful, but not with disgraceful. The players didn't throw in the towel, things just didn't work, and too many switched off at points.

My small crumb of comfort is that, given the other results, the win hasn't really done them much good.
  • Champo

I'd agree with awful, but not with disgraceful. The players didn't throw in the towel, things just didn't work, and too many switched off at points.

My small crumb of comfort is that, given the other results, the win hasn't really done them much good.
  • Awful performance. Too many sideways and backward passes. No cutting edge. Poor defending. Can Lanzini a Anderson play in the same team? Hernandez was a disappointment. Fredericks too easily beaten. Can't see us finishing 7th.
  • one day I feel like we only need one or two more players to make us a good team then like today I feel like we need a whole new squad ;doh
  • Well that's 90 minutes of my life I won't get back.Cardiff lost their last three games conceding 10 goals-Colin's team talk:"Right lads it's West Ham up next."Players:"Thank Christ for that."
    Absolutely awful performance,we made them look like Barcelona.
    I do understand that our manager knows just a bit more about football than me but I really don't get Hernandez playing as the main striker at all.I can only assume that there's still problems with Arnie.
    Two observations-1.That Arter is one annoying little sh...chap.
    2.Is Colin wearing make up?
  • OCS

We give managers less than a season, and give them it in the neck if we aren't challenging for Europe?

No-one's advocating that, Grey. I'm simply pointing out that Pellegrini is presiding over performances that previous managers have been absolutely hammered for but doesn't get as much criticism.

As I said, (and I'm not sure if you deliberately ignored it) he deserves time to build his team, but for a manager with a big reputation and success with clubs of a similar stature to us, he has struggled to get us to be any more consistent than his two predecessors, who both got a lot more stick than he's getting.
  • OCS

We've played some old rubbish, and today is another example, but our best, and there has been a fair bit of it, is, imo, better than anything we've had for a while.

Yeh, since Bilic's 1st season...
  • I bet spurs fans are moaning about losing to Southampton all teams have bad results it’s football it how we respond is what matters now
  • Well we need to respond next week because we have one horrendous April coming up. I'm quite content with not finishing 7th, 8th or even 9th. What I can't accept is finishing bellow Crystal Palace.
  • edited March 2019
    Spurs fans have had a lot to moan about this season! ;whistle We regularly have reason to do so and it’s so very frustrating.
  • OCS

I didn't ignore it, but then you appear to be stating two contradictory views.

Either he should be getting flack or he shouldn't.

I'm in the 'shouldn't' camp.
  • Pellegrini needs to sort this mentality & quickly. The problem is that we have raced to survival after a horrendous start, but crashed out of both cups. The players will not be 100% up for it, it's natural. But he has to be getting more away from home out of this group of players than he has been. It is at his door. That performances could have been a Sam side, Moyes side, Bilic side, Zola side. It is not good enough.

Obviously today was a tricky game, but that was shameful. The manner we played, the sloppiness. Everything. But we are gonna have to get used to this between now & May. We have naff all to play for, no motivation, we will be playing sides who have things riding on their games.

Unless Pellegrini sorts it out.

Luckily we have the chance to bounce back next week against a side who are gone. But April could be fun.
  • edited March 2019
    Grey, I'm not stating contradictory views. I haven't said that he should or shouldn't be being criticised; merely that for the most part he isn't, compared to managers who arguably didn't have as strong a squad to choose from.

And Lukerz, we do have something to play for. 7th place. The manager and captain have both talked about it in the week. If the players can't raise themselves for games that will affect out chances of getting European football then why are they even out there?
  • Exactly OCS. If they’re not going to go full out to try and get 7th, if that’s what they feel they could achieve, then why open their mouths and spout stuff they obviously don’t believe in.
  • This is a rather damning read:

IMG_20190309_181127

• How can we score from open play now that we only have non-scoring forwards? ;hmm
  • Honestly, I was just going to try to work that out myself. I knew we hadn’t been scoring from open play.
This discussion has been closed.