Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• I see most have Edmilson down as a sell. He's had a good season, including playing for Switzerland. I think it's worth having another look at him, Pelle seems able to get the best out of players, and Ed's not found his best position under Moyes & Bilic
  • He would certianly offer more pace and energy than our current midifield options. I'd be happy for Pelle to give him a full pre-season to see if he can step up.

We desperately need a dynamic CM, and Fernandes may be able to do the job, but Loftus-Cheek would be my No1 choice.
  • edited March 2019
    Yes, Fernandes has had a good season. The reason why I had him as a sell was because I want a ‘top’ CM to be bought, someone who can transform our team (easier said than done). And we already have quite a few CM’s already.

Although, to be clear, I haven’t seen Fernandes play this season. So, who knows? He could be that ‘top’ midfielder. But based on my knowledge, I think/hope we can get someone better.
  • edited March 2019
    Fiorentina have an option to buy Fernandes at the end of his loan and all reports suggest they will pay the £6.5m. I'm not sure if we have the option to refuse or even if the lad wants to come back to London.

I doubt if Chelsea will sell Loftus-Cheek although I'm surprised they didn't put Danny Drinkwater on the transfer list in January.
  • I doubt Chelsea will be selling many players if they are not allowed to buy any.
  • Chelsea can't buy anyone for a while so I imagine they will be very reluctant to sell anybody we may want.

The level of player we need now is not a Chelsea bargin buy, the players we need I think they will too..
  • edited March 2019
    We don't need a great deal in all honesty. Apart from a horrendous start (well two poor results at home to Bournemouth & Wolves), we would be sitting comfortably in 7th, two clear of 8th & 7 clear of 9th.

Our forward options our fine; clearly we need a striker if we don't hang onto Arnie. The ball is in our court with Hernandez & Arnie. They are both under contract & will both score goals if given the right service. Perez & Carroll may be off so we'll need a filler forward player to replace those.

I agree with most; CM is the main role. If we are to play a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 variation then we need a good player alongside Rice so that we have the option to rotate Nobes instead of inevitably rely on him every week. Even if we start a season with Nobes not as the preferred option, he tends to get into the side a few weeks later & then remain most of the season.

Fredericks & Cresswell are ok for the foreseeable. Zabaleta will need replacing if he doesn't renew. Adrian may need replacing too.

So we're possibly looking at: GK, RB, CM, ST x 2 (with more luxury purchases being a RB & LB, as I feel we could, if pushed, upgrade those areas). That's only 4/5 players. I think if the players are of a certain standard, that would do us for next season.

So a 25 man squad of...

Fabianski/GK
    Fredericks/RB - Balbuena/Reid - Diop/Ogbonna - Cresswell/Masuaku
    Rice/Sanchez - CM/Noble
    Yarmolenko/Antonio - Lanzini/Nasri - Anderson/Snodgrass
    Arnautovic/Hernandez

Wilshere, Diangana, ST

(I think Obiang will move on this summer; we won't be able to shift Wilshere or Sanchez given their season-ending injuries)

I think under a different manager we may need double that set of players, but Pellers is the key for this IMO. He has the know-how of getting 'sleeping giants' achieving beyond their potential & I would be pretty confident we won't be far away from the top six next season, albeit I struggle to see us breaching it.
  • I really strongly believe that left back is a significant weakness for us and we need to address it. A top CM would be wonderful, but we have been very weak down our left side for a lot of the season.

The trouble is that I can't think of any quality left backs who would be available to us. If Mourinho hadn't left United I would have wanted us to go after Luke Shaw but he's doing pretty alright for himself nowadays.
  • We need a new LB CM and x2 Striker in the first 11 minimum.
    We need about 6 other players on top of that as back ups.
  • edited March 2019
    Yeah, I forgot about the Chelsea embargo thing. No way will RLC be allowed ot leave if they can't replace him.

Jonjo it is then, eh Suze ;ok
  • If Chelsea appeal, do they not get movement in the next window?

Or is it they cannot register players
  • Champo ;ok

I'm pretty sure that they'll appeal and be able to have a normal summer.

Yeold

I don't think we need another 6 beyond that, but I think we could improve in most positions. It's unlikely we're going to have 2 top quality players for every position any time soon.

I think we only really need 1 striker, but if either Arnie or Hernandez leave then we'll need to replace them.
  • OCS

You can't call him Jonjo in Suze's company. He must be called "He Who Must Not Be Named"
  • There's a bit of noise on Twitter that our budget for the summer is £25m (excluding any sales) ;hmm
  • edited March 2019
    OCS

There's a lot of noise on Twitter. Mostly, it is caused by hot air.
  • edited March 2019
    OCS, presumably (since I doubt the club has set the budget yet, or leaked it) that this figure is derived by someone guesstimating, by looking at the accounts, making a bunch of assumptions, doubling the number they first thought of, rolling a dice and subtracting that from the total. ;wahoo

• Hopefully so Grey, but two (relatively) reliable sources have apparently referenced that figure.

Would mark a huge step back if true, but I guess we'll find out in the summer.

On a similar note, I do wonder where these kind of rumours start from. For example, I've already seen us linked with Zapata and Joao Felix (both £40m players) which, realistically, we have no chance of getting. Some have accused Sully of leaking names to get fans excited and season ticket sold, but we also live in a world of clickbait so I would imagine it's more than likely that.
  • OCS

We get the 'just doing it to sell season tickets' thing every year.

I seriously doubt anyone would ever buy/renew a season ticket based on rumours of signings, on account of if you were that gullible, you probably wouldn't be in charge of your own finances.

As you say, the Internet sports sites have a desperate need for new 'content', regardless of how unrelated it may be to anything that might approach being factual.

Did any of these same Twitter ITK's confidently tells us that the club would be spending £100m last year? (I think we know the answer.)
  • edited March 2019
    To be fair, I'm sure Ex said we had a c.£80m budget last year, and does seem to be a lot closer to the truth than most.
  • Can you remember when?
  • 25m gets you nothing
  • Apart from clicks and retweets ;wink
  • I mean IF true it would be very disappointing, if not that surprising

I mean we rarely spend over net £25/30mil a year do we

We only posted profits for the last 2 year's, and last financial report 17/18 showed was down from the previous year 16/17 season

That proift allowed us to spend £80mil net this summer, which I'm sure will show up in the financial performance this year

Unfortunately as far as money goes, we are well short of the top 6 for sponsorship, merchandise and don't benefit from European football (thin Liverpool got £70mil for getting to the final)

Still feel we can bolster our kitty through player sales
  • MrsGrey said:

Can you remember when?

Not specifically. It was during one (or more) of his podcasts during the close season.
  • 25m gets you nothing

It got us arnatovic

• I want to see Anderson, Lanzini, Yarmolenko and Arnie as a front 4 once in my life.

I think we will struggle to improve on that front 4.

So for the first 11 maybe we need a Left Back or a Dynamic MF...
  • We were never going to spend (net) similar amounts to last season. That was a one-off due to the lack of spending in previous years.

In my example on page 2, I had a net spend of £32m. So, if we get the resales in, I would be fine with this sort of net spending level.
This discussion has been closed.